News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

I am A Christian

Started by Egor, December 09, 2011, 12:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egor

Hello, my name is Edward and I am a Christian. I like to debate with atheists, so I've come here to do that. Don't know how long I'll be allowed to be here, but that's life isn't it--we really don't know how long we'll be allowed to be here.

I've read the rules, and basically they might as well not be there, since the way they are worded a person can simply be banned at the moderators will, which is how it is in all forums. But I will try my best not to be rude or offensive.

Basically, I just want to ask some questions and get to know you better as atheists.

Look forward to meeting you,

Ed  :)

EDIT: Please note the Egor had a previous, now unused, account under the name Edward The Theist - Tank
This user has been banned so please do not expect any responses from him.

Buddy

Well hello Egor! Care to tell us a bit about yourself?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Egor on December 09, 2011, 12:46:03 AM
Hello, my name is Edward and I am a Christian. I like to debate with atheists, so I've come here to do that. Don't know how long I'll be allowed to be here, but that's life isn't it--we really don't know how long we'll be allowed to be here.

I've read the rules, and basically they might as well not be there, since the way they are worded a person can simply be banned at the moderators will, which is how it is in all forums. But I will try my best not to be rude or offensive.

I have to tell you, Ed, I get a bad feeling from people who start posting the way you do.  There are a number of Xtians on this site who don't have any trouble not getting banned.  Altho it worries me that you can only try your best not to be rude or offensive (is it really that difficult?) if you can manage to pull it off you won't have any problem either.

Having gotten that off my chest, welcome.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

DeterminedJuliet

Hi there,

We have a couple of regular Christians and other theists who are very welcome here. There are even more posters (myself included) who used to be Christian, and are fairly understanding of a Christian worldview. You are allowed to have beliefs here, you just aren't allowed to preach them to us.

If you can do that and keep some basic civility, I don't see why there should be a problem.  :) Welcome!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Whitney

welcome to haf.

I have to tell you, starting out complaining about forum rules and implying that the moderators here will ban people for no reason is not a good way to step out on the right foot.  If you had taken just a few moments to look around first you'd noticed that we have a few Christian members here already that are getting along just fine and are in no danger of being banned.  Sorry, but i found your comment offensive and possibly prejudicial.  If you actually are able to be civil and actually discuss topics instead of being preachy then you won't get banned; those who are uncivil (be them theist or atheist) get the boot.

The Magic Pudding

MadBomr101

Yo.

Speaking personally there is nothing you can say that's going to offend me so I guess it's just the mods you have to beware of.  Having said that, Xians are always welcome.  We need your difference of opinion to generate conflict and make things interesting.   ;D
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: MadBomr101 on December 09, 2011, 02:09:52 AM
We need your difference of opinion to generate conflict and make things interesting. 

True - without some conflict on a discussion forum, it all just devolves in to a big circle jerk.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 09, 2011, 03:09:40 AM
Quote from: MadBomr101 on December 09, 2011, 02:09:52 AM
We need your difference of opinion to generate conflict and make things interesting. 

True - without some conflict on a discussion forum, it all just devolves in to a big circle jerk.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

Greetings, Egor.  I hope you get along well with us, we're a friendly lot.  However I have to agree withthe others that you didn't make a very tactful start.

Tank

Hi Egor

Do you read any Terry Pratchett Discworld novels? The 'Egors' are good characters.

I have to agree with the comments about the tone of your introduction post, it's passive aggressive and indicates a persecution complex. I suggest you read the posts of Ecurb Noselrub as he is a long standing believer and he has no problem being polite in the face of some very blunt comments about his world view and why he holds it. If you can't disassociate yourself from your world view while debating it you could have a hard time here.

Thank you for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Egor. As other members have already pointed out, we don't have any issues with Christians who've read and are willing to comply with the rules here. I've been a member here for a few years, and I've been impressed by the fairness exhibited by the staff of HAF (I only very recently became a moderator, so it's not as if I'm tooting my own horn). You'll have to get to know us a little as people rather than as atheists before you delve into debate, due to the 10 post policy, and that may help you to get a feel for the place.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Too Few Lions

hi Ed, welcome to the forum. So long as you're not exceptionally rude or overly preachy you'll be fine. Hopefully we'll also be able to answer some of your questions, and show that we're not all baby eaters  ;)

OldGit

No, only Asmo eats babies as a regular thing.  I find they give me indigestion these days.