News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Rick Perry thread. Merged from MB101 and Gawen

Started by MadBomr101, December 07, 2011, 10:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Gawen on December 09, 2011, 11:07:03 PM
Lies and deceit. Slams American soldiers laying their life on the line in foreign countries because of their sexual orientation. Wants to put faith back into the White House and stop Obama's war on religion.

The man's an embarrassment to himself.  I'm glad that these are likely only final lashings out of a failed candidate.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Velma

I heard it on played on a radio news show as part of their coverage of him.  I almost had to pull off the road because I was about to choke.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Will

It's fascinating to watch him scare away any independents that still might have been thinking about supporting him. Even the moderate right will totally abandon him after this. All he'll have left are the Bachmann supporter types, that only constitute a small part of the Republican base. This is him making a foolish political error in a moment of desperation, effectively ending his run for president, and likely dooming any future run for the office. He'll have to go back to Texas with his proverbial tail between his legs, clutching a bottle of syrup tightly.

It serves him right for being so hateful.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Buddy

Has anybody noticed that he wore the same jacket as one of the cowboys on Brokeback Mountain?

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

IcyBabe

Here's an hilarious antidote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbrI3F7p6-o

What a douchebag!  No way in hell or well you know what I mean, would he get my vote. 

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Gawen

Quote from: Recusant on December 07, 2011, 11:43:25 PM
As of now, the youtube video of Perry's ad has nearly 22,700 "dislike" votes versus a little over 600 "like" votes.
In three days the numbers are now:
Views: 3,427,502
Like: 15,049
Dislike: 537,746

I just can't get over what a douche nozzle the guy is.

This you tube spot has allowed comments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V78ReJbjdxo&feature=related

Jesus responds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdHuwXwcUm0&feature=related

And this YT response (not a parody) is just good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6o5kM2ToV0&feature=related
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Tank

This really is quite fun to watch. Need popcorn.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Rick Perry defends anti-gay ad 'Strong', says people should not have 'freedom from religion'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jb9HkcBPks

QuoteRick Perry defended his latest campaign ad "Strong" -- which criticizes Obama for repealing the U.S. military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy -- in an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on December 10, 2011, 10:29:43 PM
Rick Perry defends anti-gay ad 'Strong', says people should not have 'freedom from religion'

I've heard that before (Elizabeth Dole uses the line alot) but for the life of me I can't figure out how true freedom of religion is possible without the inclusion of freedom from religion.  Otherwise all you really have is freedom of specific, coerced religions which is both a contradiction in terms and a slippery slope I don't think anyone wants to create.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Chronos

In another reality, long ago, I was a registered Republican and would have voted for Elizabeth Dole (that was back in 2000). However, she was the only Republican I was actually willing to vote for. In 2000, I was among the majority who voted for Al Gore.

In 2007, which was way too late, I became an independent, which in my home state, is "unaffiliated". Unfortunately, that means that I can never vote for anything in a primary election except the board of education. I am considering switching to Democrat just so I can vote in primaries.
Religion is a pyramid scheme with 501c3 tax-free status.

Fi

I could not even watch that ad. Just reading the transcript made me see red. I have too many feelings. D:

I really do not understand this persecution mentality that so many US Christians have-- that they are being oppressed because they aren't allowed to enforce their doctrine everywhere, on everyone. I see it so much. Every time I hear this from someone I want to slap them around the head and tell them to think about what it's like to be the only one at the table who doesn't join the prayer, the only kid in the class who doesn't believe in God, the teacher that gets threats from parents for teaching evolutionary theory, the same-sex couple that can't buy prom tickets together, the homeless teenager that got kicked out of their parents' house for being atheist or gay or something, the transgender man who gets beaten half to death in the public restroom, the political candidate that barely has a chance because they aren't Christian. They don't know what it's like to be the Muslim guy that gets automatically treated like a terrorist. They don't know what it's like to be subjected to anti-Jewish slurs. They don't know what it's like to be neo-pagan and not be allowed to wear a pentagram or Thor's hammer or whatever to work, while your boss is just fine with Christians wearing the cross. They don't know what it's like to be "found out" by a Christian friend and turned into their pet project, as if you're some sort of broken toy that needs fixing with Jesus glue. American Christians don't know what the fuck oppression is, but part of their indoctrination is being told that they will be oppressed. I've been on that side of the fence. I used to believe it.

All of this is ingrained in our culture because of them, but if we DARE criticize them or be gay or atheist or feminist or some non-Christian religion in front of them (or hidden in a closet somewhere) suddenly it's the fucking Holocaust. You can put up a billboard about how everyone who's not Christian is going to burn forever in Hell, but a billboard that says, "Hey, maybe not," is persecution of the highest order.

And in reality, they have no idea what it's like to be ostracized, vilified, and mocked on a regular basis. It's not like it doesn't happen-- I've seen unwarranted nastiness directed at Christians-- but they have the majority of privilege in this country. It's like a millionaire complaining about the cost of groceries going up. They've won the privilege lottery and they're bitching that the prize wasn't big enough. It's not enough for them to be able to openly practice their religion. Everyone that isn't an active participant in their faith is a baby-eating antagonist.

Spoiled goddamn brats. 'Scuse me for the rant. That's been gnawing on me as of late.

Here, have some funny .gifs of Unpopular Opinion Rick Perry.

Chronos

Quote from: Fi on December 11, 2011, 05:46:32 AM
I really do not understand this persecution mentality that so many US Christians have ...

It allows everyone to become a martyr. They must mimic Jesus.

Religion is a pyramid scheme with 501c3 tax-free status.

not your typical...

Quote from: Davin on December 09, 2011, 02:48:07 PM
Rick Perry - Weak, man
I love that vid. It's so good that even my mother liked it. (And it's not something that she would normally condone.) I think it's safe to say that Rick Perry, and all who support him, are the main reason the Christians get a bad rep. Unfortunately, he's so small minded that he can't seem to comprehend that there are more than just Christians in the world, as there always has been. Truly a shame since if he had half a brain to go with that mouth of his, he might have actually fared pretty decently this election. The only republican that I would have voted for dropped out. (Santorum) Oh well. Looks like another four years of Obama...
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Fi on December 11, 2011, 05:46:32 AM

I know this is an old thread, but now I have one more reason to hate Rick Perry. This statement will make more sense once the Asmo army releases me from my bondage.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.