News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Whats your ancestral heritage

Started by Crow, December 04, 2011, 10:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

I have recently been looking into my family tree after watching "Who Do You Think You Are?" and found it interesting how far back I could trace family heritage using only basic public records. So far I have been able to trace it back to Scotland, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands (the country not the kingdom) and France. Though there is a lot more to look at without paying for further access or DNA lineage.

Has anyone else looked into there heritage and if so where you from?
Retired member.

Tank

My wife is the geniologist, I shall have to consult her.

Found anybody famous yet?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

My background is French Canadian/Irish. Apparently one of my great, great, great (etc) grandfather's was one of the first fur traders in Canada ;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

KingPhilip

I did this a while back, it's crazy what type of history you'll uncover, though it may take some work. I was able to track my Irish heritage all the way back to the construction and ownership of Dunluce castle, and my great, great, great, great(I think that's how many) grandmother came from there after her family was killed, castle stolen, and ran out of the country by a rival family.

That, and my great grandfather stole his wife from a Cherokee tribe, which may or may not have gotten him murdered.

I'm just sad that the further back you go, it gets a whole lot harder to follow up on things. Everyone I know that has looked into their family's past has found at least one incredible/interesting/odd story along with it.

Quote from: Crow on December 04, 2011, 10:08:53 PMSo far I have been able to trace it back to Scotland, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands (the country not the kingdom) and France.

Wow, I feel sorry for you. My history finding was a pain and I was only sorting through two countries records, can only imagine the time you must be having with it.
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~ Krishnamurti

Buddy

Swedish as far as I know. Though I do think I might have a bit of English last time I checked.

I did trace my horse's pedigree back to the 1500s though.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Crow

Quote from: Tank on December 04, 2011, 10:13:07 PM
Found anybody famous yet?

Going back then forward I may possibly be related to Whyt Earp but that needs a little more research to properly confirm. The Sinclare clan and the Gunn clan though I don't know if I'm related to any of the historically famous people from those due to lack of records but most likely seing as my Surname came from one of the founders grandsons. There are a few famous people in my family alive today though that I had confirmed that my grandparents use to talk about but not really that notable.

Quote from: KingPhilip on December 04, 2011, 10:55:04 PM
Wow, I feel sorry for you. My history finding was a pain and I was only sorting through two countries records, can only imagine the time you must be having with it.

I have only looked properly into the Scottish and the Netherlands lines so far as they are notable historical names so quite easy to trace as there is a lot of information about them, with some fantastic stories and an Irish one being very very dark.
Retired member.

Phren-Seeker

Scottish and Swedish  :)  A wee bit a' both!

Buddy

Quote from: Phren-Seeker on December 05, 2011, 01:26:26 AM
Scottish and Swedish  :)  A wee bit a' both!

Finally! Another Swede on the forum.  :D :P
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Squid

I've poked around a bit in the past.  My family name originated somewhere around Norway or Denmark.  My mother's side is pretty cut and dry - Czech.  No mystery there.  I did find out that on my father's side I'm distantly related to Sir Thomas Overbury.  I've also been toying around with the idea of genetic genealogy since many companies and organizations that have projects going like the Genographic Project.  I think it would be interesting.

Melmoth

Well my father was totally Irish, birth and blood, and my mother is English. Having said that, her father and his family came from Norway between the wars and her mother is part Italian, so blood wise she's mixed. So tracing it back, as far as I know, I'd be...

50% Irish
25% Norwegian
^no wonder I'm ginger. :D
12.5% English
12.5% Italian.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

OldGit

All four of my grandparents came from central southern England, and I've never gone any further back than that.  My surname, like so many, is a village-name; I know of about six villages of that name in England and have no idea which one the family line goes back to.  Annoyingly, the villages seem to have three different etymologies.

Godless

I've always been a bit confused by my heritage, because my family considers itself Chinese (for the most part), but both of my parents and my grandparents were born and raised in Vietnam. Both of my parents speak Vietnamese, Cantonese, and Mandarin fluently. I'm not exactly sure when and how my ancestors immigrated to Vietnam. I should probably ask about that lol.

Ecurb Noselrub

Aaron Burleson I came over to North Carolina in the 1790's from Wales (Caerleon, I think is the name of the town). The Burleson name originated in Devonshire, England, or thereabouts, (means something like "son of a butler") and then my ancestors made it up to Wales.  From there, on my father's side, it's Aaron II, Joseph, James, Augustus, Richard, Robert, and Aaron Bruce (me). 

On my mother's side, its a mix of Breton-English (Bowmer) and Scotch-Irish (Morgan).

xSilverPhinx

I would think that it would be awesome to know the details of your ancestors lives, and some happenings that almost caused you not to exist. That's cool.

(I've been playing too much Assassin's Creed lately, in which the protagonist revisits and relives his ancestor's memories.)

Unfortunately I'm too lazy to bother searching through genealogical records, and too broke to pay someone to do it :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

launion

i have British heritage but reside in Australia and currently on extended stay in the philippines   ,  which has given me a confused outlook .