News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Kentucky church bans mixed race couples

Started by Sandra Craft, December 03, 2011, 06:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on December 05, 2011, 11:43:40 AM
What Asmo says applies in the UK, too.  Actually I don't know for sure what the law says, but I know what would happen in practice.  There'd be a mass media feeding frenzy lasting weeks, questions asked in Parliament, demos, the whole bit.

We had such a rumpus recently when a christian couple refused to let a pair of gays have a room in their bed-and-breakfast place.  And I reckon race would go down even worse than anti-gay here.

That's the good side of it I guess, these churches sow the seeds of their own destruction. Give them the freedom to fuck up and they most likely will...

I mean, what was it that Napoleon said? If you see your enemy tying their own noose, you just sit back and watch.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Stevil

Does it say somewhere in the bible that races should be pure?
How does this reconcile with the believe that all people came from Adam and Eve?

Asmodean

Quote from: Stevil on December 05, 2011, 05:52:47 PM
How does this reconcile with the believe that all people came from Adam and Eve?
...And then the Devil created (Insert the n-word)

Or did I misunderstand the typical redneck view of things?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

not your typical...

Like at my church. i don't think there's an official ban on it, but the one interracial couple that is there isn't really smiled upon. They treat him like he's the be all end all, but she kinda gets kicked to the side. (He's black she's white, but they've known him longer.) They try not to be openly racist, but there are only 3 black people in the church and that's including me and my mother. Makes me miss being home that much more. :P
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Tank

Quote from: not your typical... on December 05, 2011, 10:48:24 PM
Like at my church. i don't think there's an official ban on it, but the one interracial couple that is there isn't really smiled upon. They treat him like he's the be all end all, but she kinda gets kicked to the side. (He's black she's white, but they've known him longer.) They try not to be openly racist, but there are only 3 black people in the church and that's including me and my mother. Makes me miss being home that much more. :P
Where is home?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

not your typical...

Quote from: Tank on December 05, 2011, 10:58:31 PM
Quote from: not your typical... on December 05, 2011, 10:48:24 PM
Where is home?
Philadelphia. But currently stuck between there and the small Bible Belt town of Milford. My aunt is there and she can't live alone, so we're constantly back and forth. But there I also have to be this perfect Christian child, and still act like a child while doing the work of an adult. I'm the youngest active member in the church, and though it is against my will, I'd like to have some damn respect. I have to be closeted, (pansexual) straightedge, and on top of that they want me to be like a "normal" child. I don't know if you've noticed, but just judging by my name, would you think I'm 'normal'?
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Ecurb Noselrub

It doesn't say this anywhere.  It does talk about the Jews maintaining their separateness from other tribes, but that was a cultural/religious thing, not a racial one.   There is a real convoluted argument about Noah's son Ham, whose son Canaan was cursed, and some people see some reference to blacks being cursed in that, but the argument is really stupid.  So, other than people stretching to find a justification for being racists, no, there is nothing in the Bible that demands that races should be pure.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 06, 2011, 02:56:53 AM

It doesn't say this anywhere.  It does talk about the Jews maintaining their separateness from other tribes, but that was a cultural/religious thing, not a racial one.   There is a real convoluted argument about Noah's son Ham, whose son Canaan was cursed, and some people see some reference to blacks being cursed in that, but the argument is really stupid.  So, other than people stretching to find a justification for being racists, no, there is nothing in the Bible that demands that races should be pure.

The explanation I got as a kid for why blacks are inferior and not to be mingled with is that they are the descendents of Cain -- black skin being the "mark" god put on Cain after he killed Abel.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

Quote from: BooksCatsEtcThe explanation I got as a kid for why blacks are inferior and not to be mingled with is that they are the descendents of Cain -- black skin being the "mark" god put on Cain after he killed Abel.

Ah, dear old god, so loving and forgiving - condemning countless generations for one man's sin (again).

Sweetdeath

I am so very sick and tired of this kind of thinking brought on by the church. Yes, now maybe you understand a bit more as to why I want to leave this disgusting country. Unfortunately, there is NO separation of church and state in the U.S.

And religious influence counts fir everything, even presidancy.   A lot of people didn't vote for Obama because they thought he was muslim, and would surely secretly bring the US to its demise. *eyeroll*

But yes, this is disgusting, though sadly the "red states" in the south actually don't think they are doing anything wrong!! The KKK still exists for fuck's sake. I just really, really hope I am still alive when the church and all religion gets obliterated .. I am sick of the horrible things people do, feel, or say in the name of their 'god.'
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ecurb Noselrub

xSilverPhinx

I think they're incredibly slow and culturally backward, but they'll get round to modernity...eventually. The more modern the societies the better.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 06, 2011, 03:26:15 PM
You will be Happy to know that the church has repented and reversed its stand on interracial couples.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/05/church-reverses-ban-on-interracial-marriages/?hpt=hp_bn2
That's good and all, but the fact that some people still had no issue with that way of thinking sucks.
If someone insults you, but says sorry later, it still hurts.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 06, 2011, 04:02:38 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 06, 2011, 03:26:15 PM
You will be Happy to know that the church has repented and reversed its stand on interracial couples.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/05/church-reverses-ban-on-interracial-marriages/?hpt=hp_bn2
That's good and all, but the fact that some people still had no issue with that way of thinking sucks.
If someone insults you, but says sorry later, it still hurts.
Of course it does, but at least some people can realise they fucked up and learn from their mistakes and from the mistakes of others. It's how humanity progresses.