A seasonal reminder: Don't donate to the Salvation Army.

Started by Fi, December 03, 2011, 04:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fi

I expect a lot of people here are already aware of this, but I've been trying to spread this message around on every online community I frequent, because it needs to be spread. I hope you'll be encouraged to spread this message as well.

The Salvation Army is a faith-based charity. It is unrepentantly homophobic. They claim to be "positive" about human sexuality, but they believe that homosexuals should remain celibate and have done some really nasty things in retaliation to being asked to comply with civil rights laws. For example, in New York, when they were asked to treat their gay employees equally, they threatened to close all their soup kitchens in protest.

Threatening to let needy people go hungry over a baseless prejudice is not "good work," nor is it charitable-- it is vile and petty. Charity and hatred should never cross paths. Doing good things does not give you a free pass to be a bully.

Here's an article.
Here's a video.

Too Few Lions

good post Fi, I never give to the Salvation Army or any other faith based charity. I ripped up some SA leaflets that had come through the door only this morning  :D

OldGit

Asmodean

They have never been on the list of charities I support... Not one religious charity project has a place there (That list is short, by the way, but it does exist)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xm1

shit shit are those the guys with those bells yesterday?  I swear i thought i was tipping a hungry musician.

Whitney

I was going to try to not go to any store with a bell ringer outside but then I realized it would make it hard to shop....even the mall has them this year; don't remember that from previous years.

I don't give them money....they are a church; they even have services on sunday at their local headquarters here in town. 

not your typical...

Donated once, cuz it was my friends community service. For her it was either that, or teach Bible Study, so she chose the lesser of two evils.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Buddy

Quote from: not your typical... on December 05, 2011, 07:59:46 PM
Donated once, cuz it was my friends community service. For her it was either that, or teach Bible Study, so she chose the lesser of two evils.

I'm sorry, but how is teaching bible study community service?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

not your typical...

Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 05, 2011, 09:20:09 PM
Quote from: not your typical... on December 05, 2011, 07:59:46 PM

Maybe I should have clarified. That was during the short amount of time that I attended Christian school.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight

Asmodean

Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 05, 2011, 09:20:09 PM
In the capable hands of The Asmo, such community service would turn into a great tool of destruction  ;D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

not your typical...

Quote from: Asmodean on December 05, 2011, 10:17:44 PM
In the capable hands of The Asmo, such community service would turn into a great tool of destruction  ;D
I would love to see you teach a Bible Study class. Scary and intriguing all at the same time. but I must ask, would you pretend to be a ignorant blind faith stubborn believer or would you show your true colors from the start?

Asmodean

Neither, I suppose.

Depends on the audience, but I would not pretend to be something I am not.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

not your typical...

Quote from: Asmodean on December 05, 2011, 10:44:48 PM
Neither, I suppose.
Ah. So no causing them to doubt God with subtle remarks hinting at him not being real?

Asmodean

Quote from: not your typical... on December 05, 2011, 10:53:53 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on December 05, 2011, 10:44:48 PM
Neither, I suppose.
Ah. So no causing them to doubt God with subtle remarks hinting at him not being real?
Again, depends on the audience, but my weapon of choice is The Great Blunthammer, not a scalpel.

I will, however, use a scalpel at need. That does not mean pretending to be something I'm not though - I can usually manage by leaving my own truth unspoken and unhinted at.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

not your typical...

Quote from: Asmodean on December 05, 2011, 11:04:27 PM
Again, depends on the audience, but my weapon of choice is The Great Blunthammer, not a scalpel.

I will, however, use a scalpel at need. That does not mean pretending to be something I'm not though - I can usually manage by leaving my own truth unspoken and unhinted at.
I must learn you're ways, oh great lump of clay. ;)