News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

So you just died and...

Started by Ransom, November 30, 2011, 01:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Fuck staying with that cunt for eternity. Especially if its full of his boring preachy mates.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Seriously though, these type of boogeyman stories may work on kids, but...

::)

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

KingPhilip

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 30, 2011, 05:43:58 AM
Seriously though, these type of boogeyman stories may work on kids, but...

::)

This is a really big part of what turned me off to the idea of God when I was younger. My parents brought me up teaching me that God loved me, he was the kindest being to ever exist, he will always forgive, etc. But then once I hit like 10 or so I started reading about do this and you go to Hell to burn, do this and you burn, do that and you burn. All through the bible there's an incredible amount of stories that just so totally contradicted the image of a loving, caring god that I'd been given, that I really didn't know what to think about it. After realizing how angry and violent the Christian god really was I didn't enjoy the idea of them being right anymore, nor me being  a good person and getting rewarded by spending all eternity singing praise to such a being.
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~ Krishnamurti

xSilverPhinx

QuoteIt is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~ Krishnamurti

I like your sig ;D

Anyways, seems like some people need an authoritatian tyrant. He has yet to answer what it means to be "too Christian".

My take on it is, some theists really remind me of Denethor in this particular scene, especially when envisioning a world where there isn't an authoritarian tyrant to grant them eternal certainty and one side of the dichotomy that is the world. ::) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLpPAz0tz98

(pay close attention to 1:11 onward.)

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: Ransom on November 30, 2011, 01:58:41 AM
You find out the Christian God (Trinity) does exist after choking on a hot dog (or whatever you prefer) and died. What argument would you use to keep God's "wrath" and "anger" from descending on you?

I would use no argument. I would tell god to go and fuck himself.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

OldGit

Bertrand Russel said that in that situation he would answer, "Not enough evidence, God, not enough evidence."

Too Few Lions

I'd point out to said god that he should have made a bit more effort to show he exists, rather than basing knowledge of his existence on a ridiculous book of myths and a Church that has persecuted and murdered millions over the centuries. As well as promoting blind faith and opposing knowledge and scientific learning throughout history. I'd also ask said deity why he's so pathetic and insecure to feel the need to punish any non-believers, as that clearly make him a total cunt not worthy of my respect or belief.

Anyway, if there is a god or afterlife (which I very much doubt), it isn't yours. If there is, I'll be happily sharing a bottle of wine toasting Dionysos with all the other heathen in the Elysian Fields, rather than being bored rigid with a bunch of dull Catholics for all eternity. That really would be eternal torture...

Asmodean

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 30, 2011, 09:37:49 AM
I would use no argument. I would tell god to go and fuck himself.
You would get in on Asmo's power-tripping Hellshop idea though, yes?  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Asmodean on November 30, 2011, 12:27:05 PM

Yes

I'll tell god I found his story beautiful but I distrusted the unworthy men who presented it to me and I'm very sorry.
I'll explain to him how his earthly marketing team is a real liability, the modern human just doesn't like their children being sodomised.

Anyway, I'll spare you the details they are loathsomely grovelsome, but rest assured I'll wheedle my way next to god and send you the key to his demise.

Buddy

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on November 30, 2011, 12:53:57 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on November 30, 2011, 12:27:05 PM

Yes

I'll tell god I found his story beautiful but I distrusted the unworthy men who presented it to me and I'm very sorry.
I'll explain to him how his earthly marketing team is a real liability, the modern human just doesn't like their children being sodomised.

Anyway, I'll spare you the details they are loathsomely grovelsome, but rest assured I'll wheedle my way next to god and send you the key to his demise.

Yea, but this is the all-knowing magic man in the sky. Don't you know that they are human lie detecters  ::)

Personally, I would tell him to stick his bible where the sun doesn't shine and go down to hang out with the cool people. Or hot.. I guess.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Budhorse4 on November 30, 2011, 01:25:13 PM

Yea, but this is the all-knowing magic man in the sky. Don't you know that they are human lie detecters  ::)

The all knowing thing is just bluster.
Our guy is very insecure, have you seen the ten commandments?
These rules are the creation of a grievously insecure being, not an omnipotent.
Just compliment and praise him, ask him how he defeated his greatest rival, how he defended the weakness he doesn't have...
He's just like any other evil genius wannabe, he'll do the monologue.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on November 30, 2011, 01:34:54 PM
He's just like any other evil genius wannabe, he'll blurt out his plan.
And grumpily silent Asmo will take notes and take over the empire.  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

Quote from: Ransom on November 30, 2011, 01:58:41 AMYou find out the Christian God (Trinity) does exist after choking on a hot dog (or whatever you prefer) and died. What argument would you use to keep God's "wrath" and "anger" from descending on you?
Why is there an assumption that the god would be wrathful and/or angry? Might not need to do anything. In any case, I'm doing the best I can to make sure that I understand reality and to make decisions according to reality, if that makes the god angry, then there really isn't much I can do about that, so there is no reason to argue.

How does this belief thing work anyway?

If I say, "imagine a TV and if you imagine the correct one, then you get that TV, but if you don't then we destroy all your stuff." Is it enough that one imagined a TV? Is it enough that one imagined an HDTV? Is it enough that one imagined the correct brand? Or does one have to imagine the exact TV?

Because if you have to imagine the exact god, then any Christian is just as likely to fall into the wrath and anger of the god. Of course no one has the answer to any of those questions about god, I just wonder how anyone can go around trying to spread the fear of punishment from a god when they're most likely in the same boat.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Too human  man, just too human. ::)

Stevil

Quote from: Ransom on November 30, 2011, 01:58:41 AM
You find out the Christian God (Trinity) does exist after choking on a hot dog (or whatever you prefer) and died. What argument would you use to keep God's "wrath" and "anger" from descending on you?
The Christian god myth is just rubbish. I can't imagine such a hiddeous, psychopathic, self centered, shy, massachistic entity spending billions of years setting up our universe just so that it can spend thousands of years to tourture and kill humans.

I am absolutely stunned how Christians can believe in this rubbish.