News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Theists - why are humans afraid of death?

Started by Norfolk And Chance, October 23, 2011, 04:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

not your typical...

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 05, 2011, 08:16:08 PM
Personally I think that those who find comfort in the idea of living forever don't really know what 'forever' means. Forever. For ever and ever and ever as in never ending, permanent, eternal and infinite.

Not the kind of 'forever' used in everyday language.
Someone else who gets that forever is proabaly the only scary thing about death. If you could die and per say, go to hell for 80 years, but then come back and just live again, then I don't think anyone would fear death. In fact, they might begin to fear life.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Sweetdeath

XD this is why I shall harnest the power of the pilosipher stone. I'll give you a bottle of elixier, Oldgit. <3
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Personally I think that those who find comfort in the idea of living forever don't really know what 'forever' means. Forever. For ever and ever and ever as in never ending, permanent, eternal and infinite.

...And that, my friends, is an awfully long time to be alive. Imagine after "half a forever", that you have seen everything you consider worth seeing and done everything worth doing and are deathly bored... Only you can't die - you still have the rest of forever to go.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Siz

Agreed.

This is surely the definition of hell for me.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Sweetdeath

Btw, Asmo, why are some user icons bigger suddenly? XD
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Davin

Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 05, 2011, 08:42:45 PM
Btw, Asmo, why are some user icons bigger suddenly? XD
Because they just increased the allowed size from 65x65 to 130x130.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: OldGit on December 05, 2011, 07:58:59 PM
 Satan shall walk abroad and there may be scattered showers in the afternoon.
:D

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Scissorlegs on December 05, 2011, 08:27:13 PM
Agreed.
This is surely the definition of hell for me.
Me and a few friends put Zardoz on at an independent cinema the weekend before last, it has exactly that theme (amongst many about religion, genetics, evolution and history!) It has a society of people who are immortal and are just plain bored of it, and crave death and release, and their saviour is someone who they bring into their society to kill them all. Like you said, people really haven't quite thought about what eternity means.

not your typical...

Quote from: Too Few Lions on December 05, 2011, 09:40:55 PM
Me and a few friends put Zardoz on at an independent cinema the weekend before last, it has exactly that theme (amongst many about religion, genetics, evolution and history!) It has a society of people who are immortal and are just plain bored of it, and crave death and release, and their savior is someone who they bring into their society to kill them all. Like you said, people really haven't quite thought about what eternity means.
Sounds interesting. I think I'll check it out.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.