News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

My idea on Rene Descartes

Started by sooji.park, November 28, 2011, 05:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sooji.park

Hi, everyone! My name is Sooji and I found this forum because writing on a forum is part of my project! Well here is my little statement on Rene Descartes. In his book "Fourth Meditation: Of Truth and Error", Descartes writes about errors and how to avoid them. Descartes believes that the understanding is limited and the errors result from human imperfection. He articulates that errors are against the image of God which they are created upon. He states that people can approach to perfection by achieving a closer relationship with God, although it is ultimately impossible to be perfect. Nonetheless, numerous sources disprove Descartes' opinions on human nature and its capabilities. Human understanding does not come from a single divine idea emitted by God; humans gradually learn and understand their lives based on their everyday experience. Examples are found in many places, including different views on political subjects such as an abortion or gay rights. It is wrong to say that human beings are limited and evil.
I hope this wasn't too much for the first time writing. The bottom line is: nice to meet ya'll!

The Magic Pudding

Hello

I was expecting to hear how Rene Descartes thinks I should buy some discount meds or ugh boots.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on November 28, 2011, 05:35:35 AM
Hello

I was expecting to hear how Rene Descartes thinks I should buy some discount meds or ugh boots.
Although if it was hats, you would give it a glance..?  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table

David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel

There's nothing Nietzche couldn't teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill

Plato, they say, could stick it away
Half a crate of whiskey every day

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle
Hobbes was fond of his dram

And René Descartes was a drunken fart
I drink, therefore I am

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed
A lovely little thinker
But a bugger when he's pissed

Squid

Errors as in mistakes are an important part of the learning process and unavoidable.

Asmodean

Quote from: OldGit on November 28, 2011, 05:46:39 PM

Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel

I drink, therefore I am

A lovely little thinker
There is a pattern here somewhere... And Asmodean, he is going to figure it out, just you wait and see!
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on November 29, 2011, 02:53:10 AM
Quote from: OldGit on November 28, 2011, 05:46:39 PM

Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel

I drink, therefore I am

A lovely little thinker
There is a pattern here somewhere... And Asmodean, he is going to figure it out, just you wait and see!

Looks like you had better, if you want to exist ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: sooji.park on November 28, 2011, 05:21:06 AM
Hi, everyone! My name is Sooji and I found this forum because writing on a forum is part of my project! Well here is my little statement on Rene Descartes. In his book "Fourth Meditation: Of Truth and Error", Descartes writes about errors and how to avoid them. Descartes believes that the understanding is limited and the errors result from human imperfection. He articulates that errors are against the image of God which they are created upon. He states that people can approach to perfection by achieving a closer relationship with God, although it is ultimately impossible to be perfect. Nonetheless, numerous sources disprove Descartes' opinions on human nature and its capabilities. Human understanding does not come from a single divine idea emitted by God; humans gradually learn and understand their lives based on their everyday experience. Examples are found in many places, including different views on political subjects such as an abortion or gay rights. It is wrong to say that human beings are limited and evil.

Like everyone else, including you and me, Descartes was a product of his time and culture.  He framed his discussion in terms of the concepts that were prevalent in his day.  However, he advanced the philosophical discussion about human beings, so his arguments have some historical worth.  Humans have proved themselves capable of both great good and great evil. Do you disagree?  And how do you know that humans are not limited?  Are you saying that we are omnipotent? 

Asmodean

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 29, 2011, 03:47:16 AM
Looks like you had better, if you want to exist ;D
Philosophers. They were all philosophers. That must be it.

...No, wait...

By the way, we need that thinking emoticon on retainer if nothing else, for its perfect hairdo.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: sooji.park on November 28, 2011, 05:21:06 AM
Descartes believes that the understanding is limited and the errors result from human imperfection. He articulates that errors are against the image of God which they are created upon. He states that people can approach to perfection by achieving a closer relationship with God, although it is ultimately impossible to be perfect. Nonetheless, numerous sources disprove Descartes' opinions on human nature and its capabilities. Human understanding does not come from a single divine idea emitted by God; humans gradually learn and understand their lives based on their everyday experience. Examples are found in many places, including different views on political subjects such as an abortion or gay rights. It is wrong to say that human beings are limited and evil.
Descartes lived in the first half of the 17th century, so his beliefs were dictated by the broader beliefs of the time, and aren't really relevant to the modern world. People back then knew a lot less about the universe and the fallibility of religion (particularly Christianity and the Bible) than we do now. His views would also seem to be based on ideas of gods and humanity that go back at least as far as Plato, some 2000 years before Descartes!