News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

I was told not to offer assistance to another student in my class.

Started by highway17, September 14, 2011, 03:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highway17

Quote from: Asmodean on September 15, 2011, 07:12:05 AM
Yeah... Studying with a bad teacher does dent the quality of learning after all. And dented quality of learning leads to dented quality of knowledge and that may ultimately lead to not being as good at what you're doing as you could have been.
I agree. I'll send an anonymous email to the principal first.

Tank

Quote from: highway17 on September 15, 2011, 01:24:02 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on September 15, 2011, 07:12:05 AM
Yeah... Studying with a bad teacher does dent the quality of learning after all. And dented quality of learning leads to dented quality of knowledge and that may ultimately lead to not being as good at what you're doing as you could have been.
Why anonymous? How old are you?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

If the principal trusts you enough to help with school IT stuff I don't think you have to worry about him not trusting you if you approach him (or her) with concern about a teacher's conduct.  Believe it or not, the principles are not typically friends with the teaching staff because they have an employer/employee relationship.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on September 14, 2011, 10:16:23 PM
Quote from: Tank on September 14, 2011, 09:05:41 AMTry not to challenge her publicly in her classroom, that will end badly as she will almost definitely overreact.

...Unless you think you can win, which may still end badly... Or force her to resign. Can take quite a bit of metaphorical bloodshed, but there are ways.

If highway17 isn't inclined to be all ears at this point, I certainly am ;D

Quote from: highway17 on September 15, 2011, 01:24:02 PM

If you send an anonymous letter, the teacher will find out it was you anyways. She's probably got that episode lingering at the back of mind now, and if she's the bully type, will react accordingly.

Also, she might see it as another challenge to her feelings of weak authority if you go directly to the principal anonymously.

I think you should be straightforward and not anonymous, register somehow that you spoke to the principal about it, and if all goes wrong, you have a witness (the student that you were trying to help).
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

highway17

Just emailed the principal about the situation, and included my name.

Asmodean

Quote from: highway17 on September 16, 2011, 03:00:55 AM
Just emailed the principal about the situation, and included my name.
If there be need for turf war, then it would do good to have other people, who are considered relatively "solid" and "reliable" on your side. Have you talked to other teachers and peers to see if any one shared your opinion enough to join you..?

One letter to the head cheese is all good and well, but five is even better. Gets harder to put in the bottom the drawer for a few years (because should anything happen to warrant action later on, and should it come up that previous concern calls were made but not responded to, the principal would be in more trouble than he would like... And he knows it.)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

Wow, did she actually say "worthless emotions"? What a tool.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

highway17

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on September 21, 2011, 01:30:19 PM
Yeah. No response from the principal, neither by email or in person. I have the feeling I'm being ignored.

Whitney

Quote from: highway17 on September 21, 2011, 09:50:00 PM
Yeah. No response from the principal, neither by email or in person. I have the feeling I'm being ignored.

This is when a call from an angry parent helps.

Tank

Give it 10 working days from sending your email and then request a response, simply confirming reciept of the original email. It'll chase them up while giving them a 'face saver' get out for not doing anything yet, "Oh, I'm sorry. We missed that. We'll get right on with it." If you don't get a response in 5 days from the chase up, write a letter and deliver it by hand. In the letter reitterate your original complaint and explain you have already sent an email and a chase up email. Hard copy is impossible to ignore.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Crow

Quote from: Tank on September 22, 2011, 10:37:37 AM
Give it 10 working days from sending your email and then request a response, simply confirming reciept of the original email. It'll chase them up while giving them a 'face saver' get out for not doing anything yet, "Oh, I'm sorry. We missed that. We'll get right on with it." If you don't get a response in 5 days from the chase up, write a letter and deliver it by hand. In the letter reitterate your original complaint and explain you have already sent an email and a chase up email. Hard copy is impossible to ignore.

Looks like you have had to chase up an invoice or two before  ;D
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on September 23, 2011, 01:15:48 AM
Quote from: Tank on September 22, 2011, 10:37:37 AM

Looks like you have had to chase up an invoice or two before  ;D
:D How did you guess!

not your typical...

Quote from: highway17 on September 14, 2011, 03:56:21 AM
Was I justified in helping the student, and was my response to her ridiculous command justified?  Many students who have taken a class with this particular teacher have said she's a bitch.
You were completely right in doing and saying that. She is a bitch and she's jeopardizing the student's chance of gaining understanding. She should be fired.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.