News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

The Moral Landscape

Started by j.woodard24, December 04, 2011, 10:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pharaoh Cat

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 07, 2011, 10:06:24 PM
I did take some martial arts classes when I was young, and you might be disappointed to know that they stress the importance of avoiding fights as part of their philosophy...that before defensive rather than offensive measures.

I practice karate and yes, there's an emphasis on peacefulness, but that doesn't mean "turning the other cheek" or any other odious tactics.  If the bully demands your lunch money, say no.  If the bully persists, try to exit the situation.  If the bully won't let you exit, use the fool as a punching bag.

As for myself, I don't see myself as a fighter, I will put up a resistance, but I don't get physical, basically because I don't want to hurt anybody. I already know I can. Also, things can get a bit complicated when you start to fight physically, especially when you notice about yourself that you think that a very good offense is the best defense.

So how would you handle the situation I describe above?

I do strongly feel that bullies who deserve it, should be put in their place though, through their own undoing, not mine ;D I'll just facilitate the process ;D

Like how?

And yes, know who your friends are and value them ;D

Bullies, being cowards, target loners, so yes, by ceasing to be a loner, one often ceases to be a target.
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on December 08, 2011, 02:30:45 AM
I did take some martial arts classes when I was young, and you might be disappointed to know that they stress the importance of avoiding fights as part of their philosophy...that before defensive rather than offensive measures.

I practice karate and yes, there's an emphasis on peacefulness, but that doesn't mean "turning the other cheek" or any other odious tactics.  If the bully demands your lunch money, say no.  If the bully persists, try to exit the situation.  If the bully won't let you exit, use the fool as a punching bag.

As for myself, I don't see myself as a fighter, I will put up a resistance, but I don't get physical, basically because I don't want to hurt anybody. I already know I can. Also, things can get a bit complicated when you start to fight physically, especially when you notice about yourself that you think that a very good offense is the best defense.

So how would you handle the situation I describe above?

I'm not sure...it never happened to me ???

If you're in the weaker position, which victims usually are, you could try and call attention to yourself, such as shout out that the guy is trying to take your money. If that gives them the negative exposure that bullies don't crave (they want the positive exposure from negative actions, such as the attention or placing themselves somewhere on the pecking order) it might work as a first defense. Problem is, you'd have to deal with attempts at retribution afterward...each case is a case I guess.

If you say no, they might see it as a challenge. If you run away, they might keep harassing you. If you fight you might get into trouble, especially if you know how to fight well enough. Who knows what could happen amidst escalating violence.

Thing is, some people only respect displays of force, preferably on them. True fact of life. If the harassment is persistent and you're left increasingly without option, it is something to consider.

I guess one of the best things really is to find yourself a good network of friends that watch eachother's back and see the bullies for what they really are.

I do strongly feel that bullies who deserve it, should be put in their place though, through their own undoing, not mine ;D I'll just facilitate the process ;D

Like how?

Long story short, the latest group mobbing that bothered me committed a few crimes, which made it easy. The instigator is of dubious character, and they sowed the seeds of their own destruction. All I had to do was get it to grow ;) Again, each case is a case...

Green thumbs come in hand-y. ;D

And yes, know who your friends are and value them ;D

Bullies, being cowards, target loners, so yes, by ceasing to be a loner, one often ceases to be a target.[/quote]

Loners, retards...anybody they see as weaker.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey