News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Christmas-time is here.

Started by Fi, November 22, 2011, 05:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

You know what annoys me..? All the lights. I mean, I don't NEED some asshole's giant tree with a million Watt star on top right at the level of my bedroom window, delivering a gazillion lx of light in as I try to sleep. Lived for four years with that. Fortunately, no more.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Fi

Quote from: Asmodean on November 24, 2011, 04:36:02 PM
You know what annoys me..? All the lights. I mean, I don't NEED some asshole's giant tree with a million Watt star on top right at the level of my bedroom window, delivering a gazillion lx of light in as I try to sleep. Lived for four years with that. Fortunately, no more.

I love lights, but I don't see the point in keeping them on all night... not only is it obnoxious, it's a waste of electricity.

The best light display I ever saw, though, didn't involve any lights on the outside of the house. It was just the leg lamp from A Christmas Story in the window. I wanted to knock on the door just to high-five those people.

Quote from: Tristan Jay on November 24, 2011, 02:43:49 PM
I do like "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" when done in a traditional way (as opposed to a modern pop rendition), I find the melody to be haunting in a pleasingly melancholy way.

That is a nice one, though lyric-wise I prefer the HP Lovecraft Society's version. XD

Awake ye scary Great Old Ones, let everything dismay
Remember great Cthulhu will rise up from R'lyeh
To kill us all with tentacles if we should go his way
O tidings of madness and woe...

And of course It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Fishmen.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Fi on November 24, 2011, 08:49:26 PM

I love lights, but I don't see the point in keeping them on all night... not only is it obnoxious, it's a waste of electricity.

I love the lights too -- one of my favorite things to do in Dec is drive up and down the streets after dark looking at the lit up houses and trees.  One guy has two enormous palm trees in his front yard and he puts red lights on the trunks and green lights on the fronds every year -- maybe it's just me, but I find it breathtaking.  I just wish I could take a decent picture of it.  Of course, I've never had those lights blinking in my bedroom window which I know would change my perspective on how pretty they are.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sweetdeath

I also dislike xmas lights and xmas displays in general. They can be tastefully done, but usually aren't. Once again, i'd rather worship someone cool like Odin. XP
Odin > Santa claus.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tom62

Quote from: Sweetdeath on November 25, 2011, 02:34:11 AM
I also dislike xmas lights and xmas displays in general. They can be tastefully done, but usually aren't. Once again, i'd rather worship someone cool like Odin. XP
Odin > Santa claus.
I agree with you. Santa is nothing more than a cheap, Coca Cola commercialized rip-off of Sinterklaas.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Siz

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Asmodean

Quote from: Scissorlegs on November 25, 2011, 09:32:00 PM

I'd much rather sleep in the house on the right, in a bedroom with windows facing away from house on the left.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

Well, you know, that reminds me of these ol' famous lights

I like.

P.S. I love me some Christmas time. Egg nog, apple cider, trees, lights, stories, crappy music, all of that. The only thing I don't like is all of the presents. In this day in age do we really need to keep giving each other a ton of shit EVERY year? How much storage space do we all have? Are we all aspiring to TLC's Hoarders?

So I always ask for Christmas items that can be "used up" - wine, chocolate, candles, girly soapy stuff, clothes (which are easily donated after use). I'd much rather that than getting a million knic knacs and devices that I'm supposed to keep piling up in my home for all of eternity. 

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 26, 2011, 02:08:03 AM

I like.

Funny!  Where was this?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 26, 2011, 02:10:11 AM

I like.

Funny!  Where was this?

I don't know, I remember seeing it floating around the internet ages ago. I thought most people had seen it before? Maybe not, though? Still, it always makes me smile :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

I like.

P.S. I love me some Christmas time. Egg nog, apple cider, trees, lights, stories, crappy music, all of that. The only thing I don't like is all of the presents. In this day in age do we really need to keep giving each other a ton of shit EVERY year? How much storage space do we all have? Are we all aspiring to TLC's Hoarders?

So I always ask for Christmas items that can be "used up" - wine, chocolate, candles, girly soapy stuff, clothes (which are easily donated after use). I'd much rather that than getting a million knic knacs and devices that I'm supposed to keep piling up in my home for all of eternity. 

I love that!!
And I agree whole-heartedly about the xmas  gifts. I usually ask for gift cards for that reason. I buy clothes, hair dye and food. XD
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

not your typical...

I voted yay, although I truly don't understand why I love the holidays so much. It's my worst time of year. The holidays are always ruined by some unwanted guest, my doctor puts me back on my meds, and I get to spend no time with the people I actually do love and cherish, my friends. Maybe it's all the booze left unattended.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Asmodean

Yeah well... The holidays have not started yet, and I already don't know what to do with myself. My "Meh" is rapidly progressing to "Let there be January".
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

not your typical...

Quote from: Asmodean on December 01, 2011, 03:37:32 AM
Yeah well... The holidays have not started yet, and I already don't know what to do with myself. My "Meh" is rapidly progressing to "Let there be January".
Holidays start here at Labor day so it's kinda a 6-7 month thing. Labor day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentines Day, and if the market is lucky Easter falls in March, so it's no avoiding it for me. I guess it's not so much enjoyment as the fact that I can at least screw on a smile throughout the bs.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

OldGit

I take it everyone knows this gem by Tom Lehrer?