News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Are all atheist antireligious?

Started by Cforcerunner, November 14, 2011, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: Whitney on November 16, 2011, 03:23:19 PM
I think it's possible to respect a religious person without being supportive of their religious beliefs.  I know way too many smart, nice, fun, good etc religious people to discount them all just because they have a quirky view of reality.  Even many skeptics still have some oddball belief even if it may not be religious in nature....we all compartmentalize to some degree. 

Now...I can't say there aren't some types of religious beliefs that if a person holds would lose all of my respect as I'd have to think something deep down is horribly wrong with that person; but that doesn't apply to how most believers practice the mainstream religions.

I have no respect for anybodies religious beliefs at all, those beliefs are undeserving of the time of day. I do respect some theists for their views on other matters though, like sport or whatever.

It is easier to have no respect for religious belief in countries like the UK and Scandinavia where it is socially acceptable to be an atheist or agnostic. In fact our culture is I would call socially atheist/neutral. Church on a Sunday is just something where the god botherers go.

The USA seems to be MILES behind culturally in this respect, and it must be very hard to "not respect" anybody when you have a majority of people being theists who demand respect for it.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 17, 2011, 03:45:20 PM
It is easier to have no respect for religious belief in countries like the UK and Scandinavia where it is socially acceptable to be an atheist or agnostic. In fact our culture is I would call socially atheist/neutral. Church on a Sunday is just something where the god botherers go.
I do love that about the UK, people who attend church on a Sunday are seen as mildly eccentric and deluded at best and just plain crazy at worst, depending on which church they attend.

Tank

Quote from: Too Few Lions on November 18, 2011, 10:54:49 AM
Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 17, 2011, 03:45:20 PM
I do love that about the UK, people who attend church on a Sunday are seen as mildly eccentric and deluded at best and just plain crazy at worst, depending on which church they attend.
And the other critical thing is that if a person is a Christian in the UK 99 times out of 100 you wouldn't know as they do not generally feel obliged to tell anybody as some do in other countries.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Norfolk And Chance

Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

Too Few Lions