News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Hello from Pennsylvania!!

Started by aldy115, November 17, 2011, 01:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose AR

Hello, my parents forced me to go to church. It was a constant battle, they even dreamed of my becoming a priest. They sent me to expensive religious schools, and they visited religious places with me. Now, thirty years later, my dad is the biggest atheist and my mom just laughs at the silliness that she ever had a "god". Life is funny
welcome
Jose

Tank

Quote from: Jose AR on December 08, 2011, 06:05:22 PM
Hello, my parents forced me to go to church. It was a constant battle, they even dreamed of my becoming a priest. They sent me to expensive religious schools, and they visited religious places with me. Now, thirty years later, my dad is the biggest atheist and my mom just laughs at the silliness that she ever had a "god". Life is funny
welcome
Jose
I love that your Dad is now a atheist as well. There is hope for us all yet.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: aldy115 on November 17, 2011, 06:39:35 PM
What are other people's experience with family members and belief?

Welcome, Aldy.  I have a lot of relatives from PA but I won't hold that against you.  As for the question, I've been lucky in that for me it's been a case of "the people who matter don't mind, and the people who mind don't matter".   All of my relatives are religious to a lesser or greater (usu. greater) degree but the ones I'm close to don't fuss about my atheism. 

There have been some interesting clashes of worldview tho --for instance my step-mother telling me she feels my dad's spirirt is physically close to her and she knows I feel this too.  I feel no such thing but, altho I would have discussed the point with someone else, if it comforts my step-mother to believe it I'm fine with that.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany