News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Straightedge

Started by not your typical..., November 12, 2011, 01:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

not your typical...

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on November 12, 2011, 02:44:04 AM
Thank you very much.  :)
You deserve it. I know plenty that can't manage a day sober, let alone 5 years. It's a big accomplishment. :)
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Ecurb Noselrub

I'm not straightedge.  I follow Jesus' example and drink wine. But I'm 59 so it doesn't really matter.

not your typical...

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 12, 2011, 02:59:55 AM
I follow Jesus' example and drink wine.
In the Bible, it never specifies that He drinks. Merely states that it was in his presence. He may or may not have actually drank. It all comes down to your interpretation, I suppose.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight

xSilverPhinx

I just don't like alcohol (don't like the taste of it) and cigarettes (ditto). I don't consider myself to be a moralist about the stuff, though I do personally feel that people who like those things have made bad choices ;D

Everything in moderation I suppose. I don't envy the addicted, however...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

A Montecristo No2 Torpedo, a glass of Napoleon brandy and a buxom wench please, heaven!  ;D

Being British I don't have to put up with these wierd 'club cults' that seem to afflict 'Mercan teenagers, age has its advantages.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: not your typical... on November 12, 2011, 03:01:54 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 12, 2011, 02:59:55 AM
I follow Jesus' example and drink wine.
In the Bible, it never specifies that He drinks. Merely states that it was in his presence. He may or may not have actually drank. It all comes down to your interpretation, I suppose.

Sorry, but he drank wine, for what it's worth, which is probably not much here.  Here's the passage I can think of now: "Luke 7:33 For John the Baptist has come eating no bread and drinking no wine, and you say, 'He has a demon!' 34 The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, 'Behold, a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!'"

John the Baptist drank no wine, Jesus did.  John the Baptist was straightedge, Jesus wasn't.

Siz

Quote from: Tank on November 12, 2011, 08:07:37 AM
A Montecristo No2 Torpedo, a glass of Napoleon brandy and a buxom wench please, heaven!  ;D

Being British I don't have to put up with these wierd 'club cults' that seem to afflict 'Mercan teenagers, age has its advantages.

Ditto.

And I'll drink to an 'edge' that's as loopy and curly as can be. There's no virtue in abstinence for its own sake.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

xSilverPhinx

A Montecristo No2 Torpedo, a glass of Napoleon brandy

I would keep bottles with those labels just for the names...but just for display, not for drinking. 8)

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 12, 2011, 05:58:15 PM

I would keep bottles with those labels just for the names...but just for display, not for drinking. 8)
Montecristo is a brand of cuban cigars  ;)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Xjeepguy

I quit smoking (2 packs a day) 2 years ago cold turkey, and recently quit drinking. Not sure if the drinking was becoming a problem, but it damn sure wasn't a solution.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

not your typical...

Quote from: Xjeepguy on November 12, 2011, 06:57:07 PM
I quit smoking (2 packs a day) 2 years ago cold turkey, and recently quit drinking. Not sure if the drinking was becoming a problem, but it damn sure wasn't a solution.
That's cool. I'm not straightedge myself. Not a big fan of being told I can't do what I enjoy. Never been one for being high or drunk though. Like xSilverPhinx said, everything in moderation. Oddly enough, I love the taste of alcohol, vodka and champagne being preferences. Can tolerate a smoke every once and a while. Sex, is a no brainer, who doesn't want to get laid? But when someone makes the choices to be straightedge, I respect that. It's all about what you feel you get out of it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on November 12, 2011, 06:14:54 PM

:-[ Whoops.

Well then, I wouldn't have to worry about anybody ever drinking it then :P

Cigars are cool. Churchill style.  8) Respect.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 12, 2011, 09:15:20 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 12, 2011, 06:14:54 PM

:-[ Whoops.

Well then, I wouldn't have to worry about anybody ever drinking it then :P

;D Good recovery!

history_geek

Well I did tick the "WTF"-choise before I properly read the thread, but meh :P

I'm a non-alcoholic (and yes, I am an exception to the rule ;D Don't worry, most Finns still love their beer), I don't smoke nor do I use anything that would qualify as drugs. No meds either. Just Coca-Cola, all the way 8)

And there is no moral background to my choises either, those things just don't belong to my usual habits nor tastes. I do have other vices to cover up for them though.. :-\ Other then that, each to their own taste and prefenrences. If you want to use or try, fine by me. But as xSilverPhinx said: Everything in moderation.

And as for premarital sex: it's the couples own choise. Piste *grumbleyou-bloody-moral-nitpicketersmumble*

;)

P.S:
Piste translates as: Dot. Used a lot to make point that the opinnion id final or that the converasion is over. Just in case I use that in the future ;)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

not your typical...

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 12, 2011, 09:15:20 PM
haha. Agreed. But nobody will ever let me get my hands on one... Says I'd be to provocative with it. ;)

And history_geek, thanks for the heads up... Piste. I like the word, but might I ask for the proper annunciation? :)