News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

All answers and opinions are welcome.

Started by not your typical..., November 11, 2011, 06:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: not your typical... on November 11, 2011, 10:37:33 PM
Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 11, 2011, 10:25:25 PM
I don't believe anything. I know what I know, and disbelieve other stuff.
You are very strong in your, err... anti-faith, I guess. Might I ask what caused this, or we're you just born knowing that there is no God.

We are all born with no concept of god. Thats a big clue. :)
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

Recusant

Quote from: not your typical... on November 11, 2011, 09:12:41 PMOver the past 3 years, I've been to Baptist, Methodist, Mennonite, Pentecostal, Catholic, non-denom, Evangelical, Lutheran, Episcopalian, Anglican, Congregational, and Calvinist churches an all of which have claimed the same.

So I'm supposed to just accept your assertion based on your anecdotal (and to me, highly questionable) evidence? Sorry, but "I say so" doesn't cut it with me. This isn't the topic of your thread though, and to avoid a derail I'm going to drop it.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

not your typical...

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 11, 2011, 10:38:58 PM
We are all born with no concept of god. Thats a big clue. :)
haha. Well then, I guess that settles it.
And Recusant, I never said all Christians believed that. Almost every Christian that I've ever know has been very open in believing that "the end times are near." And you're right, it is quite off topic.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: not your typical... on November 11, 2011, 09:12:41 PM
Quote from: Recusant on November 11, 2011, 09:00:35 PM
In that case do you have any evidence that "almost every Christian" agrees that the "Tribulation" is "coming soon"? From what I can tell, that is a belief which is associated with Pentecostals and many of the fundamentalist evangelical denominations, and is not something that "almost every Christian" subscribes to.
Over the past 3 years, I've been to Baptist, Methodist, Mennonite, Pentecostal, Catholic, non-denom, Evangelical, Lutheran, Episcopalian, Anglican, Congregational, and Calvinist churches an all of which have claimed the same.

I was Catholic for the first two decades of my life and my father and much of my extended family are still devotely Catholic, and I've never even heard of this before, to be honest.

Maybe it's a geographic thing? Where do you live?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

not your typical...

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 11, 2011, 11:32:18 PM
I was Catholic for the first two decades of my life and my father and much of my extended family are still devotely Catholic, and I've never even heard of this before, to be honest.
I traveled a lot along the east coast (USA), which is why there are so many different types of churches. Never got settled long enough in one place to find a solid church home.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: not your typical... on November 11, 2011, 11:45:57 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 11, 2011, 11:32:18 PM
I traveled a lot along the east coast (USA), which is why there are so many different types of churches. Never got settled long enough in one place to find a solid church home.

Interesting. Pretty much all Catholics in Canada have traditionally either been french Catholics or Irish Catholics (my Dad was born in Montreal and is very "french Catholic"). Maybe that has something to do with it? His church gets on with some weird stuff sometime, but I don't think they talk about the end of the world much. They never did when I regularly attended, either
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

not your typical...

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 12, 2011, 12:42:41 AM
Interesting. Pretty much all Catholics in Canada have traditionally either been french Catholics or Irish Catholics (my Dad was born in Montreal and is very "french Catholic"). Maybe that has something to do with it? His church gets on with some weird stuff sometime, but I don't think they talk about the end of the world much. They never did when I regularly attended, either
That's cool. Personally, not a big fan of the Biblical description of the end of the world... Probably has something to do with the thought of all civilization being shot to hell and the flesh eating birds wreaking havoc everywhere... *shudders* I never particularly liked birds. They're always eying me funny.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: not your typical... on November 12, 2011, 12:54:19 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 12, 2011, 12:42:41 AM
That's cool. Personally, not a big fan of the Biblical description of the end of the world... Probably has something to do with the thought of all civilization being shot to hell and the flesh eating birds wreaking havoc everywhere... *shudders* I never particularly liked birds. They're always eying me funny.

Yeah, they're shifty little critters. >:(

xSilverPhinx

Aren't there some stories going around about how the whole rapture and tribulation things aren't even in the bible? ???

And I agree with what's been said, if no Earth-shattering event takes place before the sun grows into a red giant, then that's how it'll end. As for the human race, I haven't any idea how that could happen. Could be that we evolve into something else or die out somehow. Chances are life will continue till the planet's demise.  
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

not your typical...

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 12, 2011, 12:56:46 AM
Yeah, they're shifty little critters. >:(
I know. Once, I had just gotten an ice cream cone and was on my way to the car when a seagull came and knocked it right out of my hand. :( I swear birds are the purest form of evil.

not your typical...

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 12, 2011, 12:57:57 AM
Chances are life will continue till the planet's demise.  
You mean life will continue after the human race is destroyed? Or did you really mean life after the planet?

Whitney

Quote from: not your typical... on November 11, 2011, 06:53:15 PM
Ok, so recently at my church, there's be the discussion of tribulation.  :P Of course it seen the one thing almost every Christian can agree on is that it's coming soon.
Actually, the large majority of Christians don't think they can know the time and don't live in real anticipation of it happening anytime soon; it's just those ulta conservative groups (southern baptists, seventh day adventists and whatnot) who are obessed with the end of days.  I think you should move to a more liberal area when you turn 18 :)  Sounds like even most parts of Texas would be more liberal than where you are.

Quote1. How/why do you think the world will end? (If you don't believe in the world ending, I beg of you, please do share.
If by end you mean gone completely without a trace...then I'll go with being swallowed up a long long time from now when the sun becomes a red giant.

3. If you don't believe in R/T, what do you believe? (This can be anything ranging in the sun exploding and the population being wiped out like the dinosaurs, to the zombie apocalypse. Anything goes.) What makes you believe this? Is there any proof?

See above.  Basis is in 5th grade science books.

Quote4. What would be your time gauge of when the world will end? (For Christians, how soon is soon really?)

Without looking it up...like billions or trillions of years; quite some time from now.  However I don't expect the Earth to be in a state where it can support life for that long.

not your typical...

Quote from: Whitney on November 12, 2011, 02:37:15 AM
I think you should move to a more liberal area when you turn 18 :)  Sounds like even most parts of Texas would be more liberal than where you are.
They probably are... small town Bible belt Milford is my current position, but I try to get away to home often, home being Philadelphia. Before spending over half my time here, I never really had to give a damn about religion. Then she sent me to Christian school... Still giving her grief over that move.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Whitney on November 12, 2011, 02:37:15 AM
Without looking it up...like billions or trillions of years; quite some time from now.  However I don't expect the Earth to be in a state where it can support life for that long.

Especially with the population booming like it is now.  If we don't slow population growth and convert to renewable energy, we're going to be toast long before the sun turns into a red giant and swallows us.  Unless we colonize another planet, that is.

not your typical...

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 12, 2011, 02:48:26 AM
Unless we colonize another planet, that is.
If only we knew how to employ the tactics used in the Ender's Game series... Hmmm. Where's Orson Scott Card when you need him?