News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Infant Baptism...do I have to attend ?

Started by no_god_know_peace, November 02, 2011, 07:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

no_god_know_peace

Lots of mixed opinions on this, But a good majority of you have made good arguments about how I am over thinking all this and giving baptism more meaning & power then it really has. I am still not crazy about the whole thing (the only thing I actually look forward too is seeing the little one) but I suppose taking the high road and attending would be the better thing to do.

Thanks happy atheists :)

not your typical...

I don't think you should have to go. Personally, I'm a Christian who is against the thought of baptism of babies. And I have a lot of atheist friends, some who are ok with church and others that when I'll start to say even the slightest prayer, they'll flip out... needless to say, I pray a lot around them.  ;) If your family knows you're an atheist and still are trying to force you to attend, I'd show up with a shirt that has a pentagram and rams head on it, just to piss them off... But that's just me, since I'm already the black sheep of the family. Good luck though. Hopefully you find a way out of it.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Xjeepguy

QuoteI'd show up with a shirt that has a pentagram and rams head on it, just to piss them off... But that's just me

That is exactly what I plan to do next time my family bugs me about going to church.

Let us know how it goes, curious to hear if they try to convert you.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: not your typical... on November 05, 2011, 07:36:31 PM
I don't think you should have to go. Personally, I'm a Christian who is against the thought of baptism of babies. And I have a lot of atheist friends, some who are ok with church and others that when I'll start to say even the slightest prayer, they'll flip out... needless to say, I pray a lot around them.  ;) If your family knows you're an atheist and still are trying to force you to attend, I'd show up with a shirt that has a pentagram and rams head on it, just to piss them off... But that's just me, since I'm already the black sheep of the family. Good luck though. Hopefully you find a way out of it.

You'll be an atheist by your 1,000th post.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

not your typical...

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 06, 2011, 02:17:06 AM
Quote from: not your typical... on November 05, 2011, 07:36:31 PM

You'll be an atheist by your 1,000th post.

I'll take your word on that. I'm actually in a similar position. my mother has recently started making us to 10'o'clock devotions. now, I don't have anything against reading the Bible or anyting like that. It's just afterward they force me to pray... I thought prayer was supposed to be something that is "intimate between ones self and God." Maybe that's just me...
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

no_god_know_peace

Quote from: Xjeepguy on November 05, 2011, 07:44:50 PM
QuoteI'd show up with a shirt that has a pentagram and rams head on it, just to piss them off... But that's just me

That is exactly what I plan to do next time my family bugs me about going to church.

Let us know how it goes, curious to hear if they try to convert you.

So I went yesterday, it was ok I guess. The ritual was ridiculous :P everyone was all jumpy and excited and huddled around as if it was some earth shattering event ... I found it really strange but it was kinda funny  :D I got some nasty stares & a cold shoulder from some of the ppl there (including the reverand)... I take it some of them arnt welcoming of atheists. It was nice to see some ppl that I havnt seen in a while and some of them had babies of their own since the last time I saw them.

Their was lots of food so I didnt have to resort to eating any of the babies  :D

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Well it sounds like it went as well as could be expected.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.