News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Jury service in UK

Started by Happy with no god, November 10, 2011, 12:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy with no god

Hi
Been watching a court room drama on TV and it got me thinking about jury service. Each member of the jury is sworn in, using the Bible, Quran etc, but what if you are an atheist so swearing on the Bible would mean nothing, what if you were a Satanist would they let you use the satanic bible ?
Just wanted to know in case i ever get called to jury service (in UK)
I don't know why people are so keen to put the details of their private life in public(Facebook). They forget that invisibility is a superpower."

Too Few Lions

good question, apparently we atheists just have to make the following affirmation, 'I solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that I will faithfully try the defendant and give a true verdict according to the evidence', and don't have to place our hands near any silly book of myths.

OldGit

It would be great fun to insist on swearing by the FSM on the Loose Canon.  I'd love the chance to try.  ;D

Tank

Very few people swear on the Bible in the UK. One makes an affirmation to tell the truth which is legally binding in that if you break it you can go to prison for perjury.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on November 10, 2011, 12:35:58 PM
Very few people swear on the Bible in the UK. One makes an affirmation to tell the truth which is legally binding in that if you break it you can go to prison for perjury.

It's like that in some places in the States as well.  I've had jury duty about 5 times, and testified in a trial once, and no one's ever produced a bible in court, much less asked anyone to swear on it.  Of course, these were all courts in LA county, I understand things can be very different in the Deep South.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Whitney

Even Texas doesn't use the bible for swearing in jury members.  They just make you watch a video about how jury duty is patriotic and then have everyone repeat a secular swear to do generally do their best to be a good juror.