News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Trolling christian forums

Started by Norfolk And Chance, November 07, 2011, 09:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I registered and posted on a Catholic forum for a short while, but even thought many of the people there are nice and, I just can't stand larger gatherings of dogmatic religious people discussing religion on a forum dedicated to a fixed form of fixed and official Church doctrines for long.   

Then Stevil (who also registered there) got placed in a odd group by the site owner and that's when I felt truly disgusted.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Fi

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 07, 2011, 09:36:39 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on November 07, 2011, 09:32:49 PM
Oh, manybody had that idea in the history of message boards. How many here though, is another question. Me, I am repulsed by large gatherings of religious people. The overall stupidity in the atmosphere in such places tends to make me want to fry my brain circuits and drool uncontrollably while staring blankly at nothing.

;D

I know what you mean, I just can't summon up the courage to read christian forums because I know my head would explode.

I ventured into Rapture Ready yesterday. Just-- you know, to see.

...What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Tank

Quote from: Fi on November 19, 2011, 06:29:17 AM
Oh, manybody had that idea in the history of message boards. How many here though, is another question. Me, I am repulsed by large gatherings of religious people. The overall stupidity in the atmosphere in such places tends to make me want to fry my brain circuits and drool uncontrollably while staring blankly at nothing.

;D

I know what you mean, I just can't summon up the courage to read christian forums because I know my head would explode.

I went to RR and signed up with the name Evolutionist, they never activated my account LOL!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Why go looking for trouble, you'll find it ;D

I couldn't go to one of those forums (checked out RR), not if I tried to contain my laughter indefinitely!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Fi

Quote from: Tank on November 19, 2011, 11:06:44 AM
Quote from: Fi on November 19, 2011, 06:29:17 AM

;D

I went to RR and signed up with the name Evolutionist, they never activated my account LOL!

That is hilarious. Talk about yer heads in the sand. XD

Tank

Quote from: Fi on November 22, 2011, 06:35:12 AM
Quote from: Tank on November 19, 2011, 11:06:44 AM
{snip}

That is hilarious. Talk about yer heads in the sand. XD
I must say it was what I had expected. Hang around here for a while and we'll get another science denier anti-evolutionist turn up. I have seen a few turned around and I am sure the rest go away at least aware that they are going to get a hard time when not preaching to their own choir.  ;D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xm1

I feel like trolling christians for their faith is like mocking cancer patients for their lack of hair.

I pity them because I was sick once too.  I don't think trolling them is appropriate or helps anyone accomplish anything.

While trolling can make things worse, providing access to real information can help someone who needs it.

Forums like this where information is easily available is helpful enough.  Presenting that information WITHOUT attitude is a silver bullet.

Tank

Quote from: xm1 on November 22, 2011, 01:18:18 PM
I feel like trolling christians for their faith is like mocking cancer patients for their lack of hair.

I pity them because I was sick once too.  I don't think trolling them is appropriate or helps anyone accomplish anything.

While trolling can make things worse, providing access to real information can help someone who needs it.

Forums like this where information is easily available is helpful enough.  Presenting that information WITHOUT attitude is a silver bullet.
Exactly

Squid

I was invited to a Christian messageboard once by the owner/admin of the website to discuss things such as evolution and psychology/neuroscience.  At first it was cordial and civil.  Once the discussions began the usual behavior appeared when someone's deeply held beliefs are challenged: people became angry, refused to read what I wrote, accused me of lying/fabrication of my sources, accused me of cutting and pasting, told me I should leave, etc.  My behavior wasn't out of line, I didn't discuss things in a condescending manner and tried my best to play nice.  When it degraded to attacking me personally and my character, that's when I decided it was time for me to leave that board.

It wasn't that it was just a minority that displayed that behavior but a majority.  The minority were the one's who asked I stay despite the treatment I received.  That was the last time I posted on a religious-themed board and that was about 5 or 6 years ago.  I can't, for the life of me, even remember the name of the board nor do I know if it still exists.

Ransom

Quote from: Asmodean on November 07, 2011, 09:39:54 PM
Yeah... They should come with a warning label:

DANGER: Reading may cause EHS (Exploding head syndrome),
provoke a killing spree or make you sacrifice small animals on an altar of tires burned with kerosine.

If that's anywhere close to the truth, (it isn't) then Atheist forums should bear this:

DANGER: Reading may cause suicidal attempts based on a sense of meaningless hatred, a complete forgetfulness of why at Church yesterday you felt happy to be in existence, and, if those don't get you first, the realization that rape and murder isn't all that bad. Survival of the fittest baby! If those women aren't fast enough to escape the rapist, they obviously weren't fit enough, and thus deserved it. However you were fit enough to catch them, and so deserved the pleasure. And if Joe couldn't wrench the knife from your hand, he obviously wasn't fit enough. Duh
The law of the jungle says
You look after yourself
But I remember this much
I love as I've been loved myself.

Davin

Quote from: Ransom on November 23, 2011, 09:37:24 PM

provoke a killing spree or make you sacrifice small animals on an altar of tires burned with kerosine.

If that's anywhere close to the truth, (it isn't) then Atheist forums should bear this:

DANGER: Reading may cause suicidal attempts based on a sense of meaningless hatred, a complete forgetfulness of why at Church yesterday you felt happy to be in existence, and, if those don't get you first, the realization that rape and murder isn't all that bad. Survival of the fittest baby! If those women aren't fast enough to escape the rapist, they obviously weren't fit enough, and thus deserved it. However you were fit enough to catch them, and so deserved the pleasure. And if Joe couldn't wrench the knife from your hand, he obviously wasn't fit enough. Duh
That isn't even coherent.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Ransom

Quote from: Davin on November 23, 2011, 09:49:19 PM
Quote from: Ransom on November 23, 2011, 09:37:24 PM

That isn't even coherent.

Of course it isn't. It's atheistic diagnostics.
You look after yourself
But I remember this much

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Ransom

You look after yourself
But I remember this much

Buddy

I just went on Rapture Ready out of curiosity. I could feel about 150 brain cells die for every word that I read.  ::)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.