News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Aren’t non-believers supposed to be suffering?

Started by Magdalena, November 05, 2011, 05:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too Few Lions

Quote from: mayitry2answer on December 03, 2011, 12:58:25 PM
Actually it is the other way around. May I post Bible verses on this topic?
feel free to post quotes from the Bible, the Odyssey, Alice in Wonderland, 1984 or any other work of fiction that takes your fancy. So long as they're relevant and don't constitute preaching you should be fine.

Tank

Quote from: Too Few Lions on December 03, 2011, 02:25:30 PM
feel free to post quotes from the Bible, the Odyssey, Alice in Wonderland, 1984 or any other work of fiction that takes your fancy. So long as they're relevant and don't constitute preaching you should be fine.
Quite right.

The bible isn't our holy book so it's a meaningless support for you argument. It's like saying 'Look somebody else wrote this!', and I agree!. So what? Why not quote from the Koran? It's just as valid.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Quote from: Too Few Lions on November 17, 2011, 11:02:18 AM
I find the talk of 'feeling a presence' interesting, it sounds like your temporal lobes were affected.

That's exactly what I thought. LSD induced hallucination mainly takes place in the temporal lobes (specifically the right temporal lobe), combine the research done on neurotheology with the knowledge of how LSD works within the brain and the immense pleasure that can arise during 'a trip' Bruce's experience seems like nothing more than the chemical reactions of LSD. From what Bruce has written about his experience on here the experience sounds like a very common reaction to the drug, especially from those that are religiously inclined or consider themselves to be very spiritual as how LSD effects the individual is greatly determined by the mindset of that individual whilst coming up.
Retired member.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on December 03, 2011, 02:29:12 PM
Quote from: Too Few Lions on December 03, 2011, 02:25:30 PM
Quite right.

The bible isn't our holy book so it's a meaningless support for you argument. It's like saying 'Look somebody else wrote this!', and I agree!. So what? Why not quote from the Koran? It's just as valid.

In the fourth grade, I had a teacher who supported his views on life with quotes from Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book.  I'd take a Xtian supporting his view with quotes from the bible on par with anything Kipling wrote.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

Quote from: TankI'd take a Xtian supporting his view with quotes from the bible on par with anything Kipling wrote.

I'm not sure about that.  A lot of Kipling's stuff makes sense.  ;D

Asmodean

Quote from: OldGit on December 03, 2011, 07:51:04 PM
Quote from: TankI'd take a Xtian supporting his view with quotes from the bible on par with anything Kipling wrote.

...And is actually quite not bad.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on December 03, 2011, 08:43:51 PM
Quote from: OldGit on December 03, 2011, 07:51:04 PM

...And is actually quite not bad.

Well, Kipling's work does have the advantage of not having 1,000 odd years of people playing Telephone with it, and that's just for starters.  But I'm trying to be fair here.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

I know.  I wasn't snarking, just taking the chance of a cheap shot at the bible.  ;D