News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

A B17 just flew in

Started by Gawen, November 03, 2011, 08:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawen

Heard her fly over. There's no mistaking those Pratt and Whitney radial engines so I dropped everything and ran outside. Saw her make a few passes over the local airport. I got in the car and proceeded at a high rate of fuel consumption there. It'll be here for a few days.

Meet "Aluminum Overcast"
B-17G-VE, serial number 44-85740 - nicknamed, Aluminum Overcast, delivered to the U.S. Army Air Corps on May 18, 1945 - too late to see action in World War II. This plane carries the colors of the 398th Bomb Groupduring the war. Aluminum Overcast commemorates B-17G #42-102515 which was shot down on its 34th combat mission over Le Manior, France, on August 13, 1944.

Sadly, they want $460 for a ride of 25 minutes. If I had the money, I'd be flying.

Tomorrow morning at 10:15 is the first flight of the day. A buddy and me are planning to be at the end of the runway to take some video of her taking off.

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Tank

$460 or an experience of a lifetime and a memory and a story to match?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Gawen

Quote from: Tank on November 03, 2011, 09:32:57 PM
I just don't have the cash to spare. But tomorrow I'm going to ask the crew if I can get a couple photos of it with my bike. That would be class!
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.

Tank

Quote from: Gawen on November 03, 2011, 10:00:17 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 03, 2011, 09:32:57 PM
I just don't have the cash to spare. But tomorrow I'm going to ask the crew if I can get a couple photos of it with my bike. That would be class!
Hope they say yes!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

If you get them photos, post some here  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

McQ

Always good to see one of those still flying. It's one of my top three favorite aircraft designs of all time. Just beautiful!

Thanks for sharing these shots! Hope they let you do some with your bike.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Gawen on November 03, 2011, 08:07:56 PM
Saw her make a few passes over the local airport.

Where?  Here's the next stop for Aluminum Overcast: Burleson, Texas.

http://www.eaa.org/calendar/eventdetail.aspx?id=11285

Are you in Burleson?

Xjeepguy

That is awesome. I would love to be on the same acre as that beauty. That is one of my all time favorites.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Gawen

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 03, 2011, 11:18:13 PM
Quote from: Gawen on November 03, 2011, 08:07:56 PM
Saw her make a few passes over the local airport.

Where?  Here's the next stop for Aluminum Overcast: Burleson, Texas.

http://www.eaa.org/calendar/eventdetail.aspx?id=11285

Are you in Burleson?
Yup....that's where I live. She'll be here at Spinks Airport till the 7th

OldGit

What a beautiful aircraft!  You were lucky to see that, Gawen.

Gawen

Quote from: OldGit on November 04, 2011, 10:13:27 AM
What a beautiful aircraft!  You were lucky to see that, Gawen.
I'll be inside her and giving her a thorough go over in about 3 hours. I expect this thread to have lots of pictures soon.

Jeeez...why does that sound so....wrong?

*wicked evil grin*

Tank

Xjeepguy

Quote from: Tank on November 04, 2011, 12:07:47 PM
Can't wait!

My sentiments exactly. As good as the outside looks, I would love to see the cockpit. Thanks for sharing this.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Gawen on November 04, 2011, 01:58:45 AM
Are you in Burleson?

SLIGHT, MOMENTARY DERAIL:

Burleson is my last name - Noselrub backwards.  Burleson, TX was named after distant relative Edward Burleson, a general in the Texas revolutionary army.  

Kelly Clarkson's from Burleson - know her?

I'm about 2 hours south of you on I-35.

We have a great airshow in nearby Temple in the spring.  B-17s fly in on occasion.

Gawen

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 04, 2011, 05:20:53 PM
Quote from: Gawen on November 04, 2011, 01:58:45 AM
Are you in Burleson?

SLIGHT, MOMENTARY DERAIL:

Burleson is my last name - Noselrub backwards.  Burleson, TX was named after distant relative Edward Burleson, a general in the Texas revolutionary army.  

Kelly Clarkson's from Burleson - know her?

I'm about 2 hours south of you on I-35.

We have a great airshow in nearby Temple in the spring.  B-17s fly in on occasion.
That puts you somewhere around Belton? Killeen? Never met Kelly but work with a couple guys that went to school with her. The house she lived in during her high school years was sold some years ago.

I never get much of a chance to get out of town. One of these days I plan a trip to Corpus Christie to see that aircraft carrier they have down there. About three years ago I made it to Houston and saw the USS Texas and SS Cavalla.

Pics up shortly.