News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

feeding the pythons to the Christians...

Started by Too Few Lions, October 20, 2011, 05:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too Few Lions

They reshowed this on BBC4 last night. I dunno if anyone else in the UK caught it, or remembers it from first time around! It's a TV debate that accompanied 'The Life of Brian's release in 1979, in which two Christians, one a rather camp bishop, get to review the film, then debate with John Cleese and Michael Palin.

It's quite funny and well worth watching. The Christians are quite aggressive and snidey (as you might expect!), and the Pythons are surprisingly restrained given the garbage the two believers come out with. Stuff like 'what would Mother Teresa think if she saw it' and 'all of Western civilization is built on Christianity'  ::)

I was quite surprised that the Pythons didn't tear the Christians apart for all the rubbish they came out with. At times, it almost looks like the two Python's decided to turn the other cheek! John Cleese makes a particularly salient point when he points out that Jesus was supposedly crucified for blasphemy, given all the cries of blasphemy from Christians regarding the film at the time;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b016bgt2/Friday_Night_Saturday_Morning/

Not sure if people outside the UK are able to view this, apologies if not. Blame the BBC not me!

Tank

The literally 'Holier than though' thing going on here is exactly the sort of arrogant theistic behaviour that was acceptable in those days, which is why the Python's put up with it. Fortunately Christians wouldn't get quite such a free ride today!  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Tank on October 20, 2011, 05:29:50 PM
The literally 'Holier than though' thing going on here is exactly the sort of arrogant theistic behaviour that was acceptable in those days, which is why the Python's put up with it. Fortunately Christians wouldn't get quite such a free ride today!  ;D
Amen to that!  ;D

Recusant

The BBC iplayer is not available for people in the US. I can't speak for anybody else. I've seen a couple of clips of the debate, and remember how Mervyn Stockwood, the Bishop of Southwark, continually fondled the rather gaudy cross he had on a chain around his neck. Maybe it was the editing of the clips that I've seen but I would say that he and Muggeridge come off like a pair of twits. There is a Channel 4 documentary (or parts of it) about the controversy over the film available on youtube, which I recall includes some clips of the debate. Also, a brief sketch from "Not the Nine O'Clock News" which parodies the debate.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.