News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

I am a god mother...what should I do?

Started by Good and Godless, October 15, 2011, 04:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too Few Lions

ditto, I wouldn't bring it up unless you're asked to do something religious in the role.
I'm an atheist 'godfather', I just see it as a titular role and I'm there if ever my 'godson' needs me. I got a bit of flack for blatantly refusing to repeat all the rubbish you're supposed to say during the ceremony mind!

Siz

Quote from: Too Few Lions on October 18, 2011, 05:39:56 PM
ditto, I wouldn't bring it up unless you're asked to do something religious in the role.
I'm an atheist 'godfather', I just see it as a titular role and I'm there if ever my 'godson' needs me. I got a bit of flack for blatantly refusing to repeat all the rubbish you're supposed to say during the ceremony mind!

Haha, cool.  The vicar at my kids ceremony chased me out from the back of the church to throw holy water on me. At least she had some humour.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

My eldest daughter has a Muslim godmother, my wifes best friend. We only had the eldest christened as a sop to social and family expectations. The twins are hell bound!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Good and Godless

Yeah, I'm kind of waiting for family (one aunt, in particular) to ask me about baptizing my kiddos.  I "came out" to my dad very recently, and it went surprisingly well.  My in-laws are atheist/agnostic, so I don't have any worries there.

"A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectively on sympathy, education and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." -Albert Einstein
http://goodandgodless.blogspot.com/