News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Zombieland

Started by NHOJ, October 24, 2011, 04:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHOJ

Hi everyone,

There are times when I feel like the last human in a world full of religious zombies. I know that there are plenty of intelligent religious folks out there somewhere, but it's usually the numb-skulls that make the most noise. I'm looking for a discussion place where I don't need to justify being an atheist.

I hope HAF will become my refuge from Zombieland.   

John
Be master of your petty annoyances and conserve your energies for the big, worthwhile things. It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out - it's the grain of sand in your shoe.
-Robert Service

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, NHOJ. If you participate in enough discussions here, there may come a time when somebody asks you to justify your lack of belief in gods. It certainly won't be a regular occurrence, though.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Attila

Quote from: NHOJ on October 24, 2011, 04:51:45 AM
I know that there are plenty of intelligent religious folks out there somewhere...

John
Hi John,
And a hearty welcome to you. If anyone fitting that description exists that description I've never met them. I'm beginning to think that "intelligent religious" is an oxymoron.  ;)
Ciao

OldGit

Welcome, John.  This will be a good place for you.  As for intelligent religious people, I think they keep their religious sides well insulated from their normal critical faculties.  They have to, of course.
I posted here recently about a woman I knew who clearly had a high IQ and was a graduate, who claimed that in Adam's time snakes could literally talk, if that was what the bible said.

Asmodean

Quote from: Attila on October 24, 2011, 07:25:48 AM
If anyone fitting that description exists that description

Laptop with a particularly nasty mousepad?  :P

Welcome, newbie! Zombies are cool, btw. They eat brains and have green goo dripping out of them.  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Attila

Quote from: Asmodean on October 24, 2011, 09:08:33 AM
Welcome, newbie! Zombies are cool, btw. They eat brains and have green goo dripping out of them.  ;D
Oh them! In the UK they're called LibDems.  ;D

Asmodean

Quote from: Attila on October 24, 2011, 10:43:11 AM
Ah..! So the UK-variety LDs are undead and shit..?  :o
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Attila

Quote from: Asmodean on October 24, 2011, 10:44:33 AM
Quote from: Attila on October 24, 2011, 10:43:11 AM
Ah..! So the UK-variety LDs are undead and shit..?  :o
You got it in one, Asmo! Undead? Well, fwiw, they're in the governing coalition. And shit, well they're all shit.

Tank

Hi John

Welcome to HAF, I hope you find it the refuge you are looking for.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

DeterminedJuliet

brraaiinnnns-er, I mean, Welcome!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

NHOJ

Thanks for the warm welcome! I look forward to joining the fray.
Be master of your petty annoyances and conserve your energies for the big, worthwhile things. It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out - it's the grain of sand in your shoe.
-Robert Service

Too Few Lions

welcome to the forum John, your life sounds a little like Charlton Heston's in The Omega Man!

The zombies in that film always did remind me of Christians!

Jonesboy

Quote from: NHOJ on October 24, 2011, 04:51:45 AM
Hi everyone,

There are times when I feel like the last human in a world full of religious zombies. I know that there are plenty of intelligent religious folks out there somewhere, but it's usually the numb-skulls that make the most noise. I'm looking for a discussion place where I don't need to justify being an atheist.

I hope HAF will become my refuge from Zombieland.   

John

It's the quiet ones that are the best. The clever ones make too much noise and say daft things. That's why we need a modicum of restraint and I am sure we will find that here.

Troll god

I feel the same in my country. I don't understand why Albanian atheists have some many difficulties to admit that they're atheists?! ???
IN INFERIS MELIUS EST REGNARE, QUAM IN COELIS SERVIRE!