News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Theists - why are humans afraid of death?

Started by Norfolk And Chance, October 23, 2011, 04:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: bandit4god on October 24, 2011, 03:21:23 PM
Btw, curious that you chose the word "inbuilt".  :)
It's a word. It works in that sentence. Why, do you think it holds some hidden meanings and implications of a "builder"..?  ::)

Seeing patterns where there are none... What do they call that again..? Super... Supersion... Superposition..?

Ah..! Superstition.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Inbuilt, square triangles, married bachelors...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Troll god

I think that some people are afraid of death because they don't understand death, I would better say that they don't understand that death doesn't exists. You just live and then stop living, that is all folks, no death in it.
IN INFERIS MELIUS EST REGNARE, QUAM IN COELIS SERVIRE!

OldGit

I wish that were true, but I'm afraid that most deaths are long-drawn-out and unpleasant.  The lucky few just drop dead instantly without knowing anything about it.  So death for most people is a process which we may reasonably fear for itself, separate from ceasing to exist.

Pharaoh Cat

I fear death - and not just the process of dying, which I also fear, but oblivion itself.  I value existence.  Anything I value I fear losing.  Seems natural to me.  Instinctive, too, I think, since I will instinctively flee in a panic from anything that seems ready and able to kill me.

I don't just fear negatives.  I also fear the loss of positives.  Don't you - at least in general, if not in the particular instance under discussion here on this thread?

"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Stevil

For some, dying will be horrific and gruesome.
For others it will be like an illness and then finally fading away.
The lucky ones won't see it coming.
But unfortunately it won't be a party, where you get to have one last hurrah, say goodbye to your loved ones and check out with a smile.

I find it funny that some people worry about whether they will have regrets about their unfulfilled dreams and desires. When death is coming, you are likely to realise that none of that matters, its your time and you won't live to have any regrets.

Sweetdeath

I would also like to clarify that I am not a thesist.

Anyway, as someone who felt their mom's heartbeat slow, then stop beneath their palm; I will say death sucks.
Even in a controlled situation like my mom's death. Nurses were extremely helpful, but in the end, it was just me watching and feeling my mom's life vaporize.
I dunno. Death is something I don't fear, but I don't have to like it.
It only saddens me, cuz I know these people don't exist anymre, anywhere.
I don't believe in any ridiculous afterlife. My dad chanting "i'll see you later in heaven" annoyed the piss out of me.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on November 27, 2011, 06:48:51 AM
My dad chanting "i'll see you later in heaven" annoyed the piss out of me.
Unless he really believes it, he's probably just having trouble letting go. Many centuries have passed since dead was dead and that was that in our culture... So not accepting death for death is quite common.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Asmodean on November 27, 2011, 09:54:18 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on November 27, 2011, 06:48:51 AM
My dad chanting "i'll see you later in heaven" annoyed the piss out of me.
Unless he really believes it, he's probably just having trouble letting go. Many centuries have passed since dead was dead and that was that in our culture... So not accepting death for death is quite common.

Agreed. My Grandmother recently passed away and I found it really bothersome that a lot of the adults kept telling the children in our family, "Oh, Nanny went up to heaven and now she's watching over you!" It must be so confusing for a little kid, because, obviously, if heaven is so great, why is everyone so sad? And saying "she went up to heaven" doesn't tell you anything about what actually happened to her. It's hard enough to get your head around death when you're a little kid without everyone using emotional, vague euphemisms all of the time.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 27, 2011, 11:52:55 AM
It's hard enough to get your head around death when you're a little kid without everyone using emotional, vague euphemisms all of the time.
From experience, you don't have to shelter small children from "regular" death. They seem to have a much easier time dealing with it than many adults, and do not require tales of afterlife to "comfort" them.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

Quote from: Asmodean on November 27, 2011, 12:16:39 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 27, 2011, 11:52:55 AM
It's hard enough to get your head around death when you're a little kid without everyone using emotional, vague euphemisms all of the time.
From experience, you don't have to shelter small children from "regular" death. They seem to have a much easier time dealing with it than many adults, and do not require tales of afterlife to "comfort" them.
I agree with you. Furthermore, the idea that a dead person may watch over them, could give some of these kids the creeps.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Sweetdeath

Agreed, Juliet, Asmo, and Tom. It seems adults tend to seek comfort more than children. Children seem to accept death, and move on.

Btw Tom, your new icon is ace! <3

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Troll god on October 29, 2011, 10:36:49 PM
I think that some people are afraid of death because they don't understand death, I would better say that they don't understand that death doesn't exists. You just live and then stop living, that is all folks, no death in it.

My guess would be the opposite is true -- people fear death because they do understand it.  They just don't like the idea of it and want to avoid the reality but know that's not possible.  It's probably more accurate to say that most people resent death rather than fear it, altho if you honestly believed there was another life after this one where you'd be judged and possibly punished, you might well fear the death that would send you into that new and unpleasant life.

And I've never thought there was anything strange about Xtians grieving the death of someone they thought was now in heaven (and presumably not being punished, tho every description of heaven I've heard sounds like punishment to me), since they're still being parted from that person, at least for awhile according to their beliefs, and separation always hurts.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Stevil

By rights, if the Christians beleived in eternal happyness and joy in heaven they ought to either be happy for, or jealous of the person dying.
The person dying ought to be bloody excited.

Sweetdeath

I find it ironic that Vikings are more jubilant to die than Xtrians.