News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Benefits of atheistic "evangelism"

Started by bandit4god, October 15, 2011, 07:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit4god

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 25, 2011, 07:14:40 PM
Still lacks the "and you should too" of evangelizing.

Read closely...
- "to urge the adoption of..."
- "to attempt to sell or popularize..."

xSilverPhinx

If there's one thing that we could learn from the religious it is the community-sense, which really could go a long way, even if just to make people more knowledgeable about what atheism isn't (easier to do that than what atheism is), which would not mean trying to deconvert people or pushing beliefs onto others.

Atheists are one of the least trusted minorities, a huge "we exist!" campaign could be productive (many groups are already doing this) especially since people see that the average joe who they might have even thought was like them (i.e religious) because he was a good decent person is actually an atheist. He doesn't hate something which he doesn't even believe in, but just has better arguments and very good reasons for not accepting theist's claims.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: bandit4god on October 25, 2011, 08:04:25 PM

Read closely...
b4g
You read this closely. One more patronising post like this and I'll restrict your access to 'Getting to know you' until you can convince me you are not here to troll. Your replies today have been way out of line and this is the last straw.
Tank
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Read closely...

Read closely yourself.  Neither of these were what Stevil was suggesting.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Whitney

Quote from: Stevil on October 25, 2011, 07:29:29 PM
Whitney, for what little I know about you, I really admire you and what you are actively doing.

thanks!
QuoteHave you posted your logo anywhere?

http://fofdallas.org/images/logo1.png

Recusant

Wow, that's a great logo! Fine use of the freethought pansy, and I love the way you've also worked a circle of people into the design. Excellent work, Whitney!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

bandit4god

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 25, 2011, 08:19:13 PM

Read closely...
These are the very definition of "promote", a word stevil used many times.

Whitney

bandit....it has been made expressly clear that no one here wants to actively recruit new atheists and that to "evangelize" someone means to try to recruit new members to a belief.  So, what's the problem?

Stevil

Quote from: bandit4god on October 25, 2011, 10:19:06 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 25, 2011, 08:19:13 PM

Read closely...
These are the very definition of "promote", a word stevil used many times.
I'm not sure why people are getting worked up. It is no big deal if we evangalize Atheism or not.
Myself, I was talking about promoting what the term means and showing some facts that may debunk some preconceptions people have. I am not promoting a recruitment drive, although there would be nothing wrong with doing so.
I really do see Atheism as being for tolerance and appreciation of diversity, not for converging people into one thought pattern.

Stevil

Love the logo Whitney, I could see myself wearing a gold, greenstone or bone carving pendant of that.
Even a discrete logo on a shirt or hat or bumper sticker, if done with style it could be fun.

xSilverPhinx

I'm just sitting here thinking about how nice that would look on a black shirt.  8)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Xjeepguy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 26, 2011, 02:57:59 PM
I'm just sitting here thinking about how nice that would look on a black shirt.  8)

This.

I'd buy one.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Whitney

we actually do have a cafe press store set up  http://www.cafepress.com/fofdallas

but we also need to add more options to it; especially for anyone that doesn't want fofdalla.org really big.