News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Benefits of atheistic "evangelism"

Started by bandit4god, October 15, 2011, 07:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ildiko

Quote from: Attila on October 16, 2011, 10:06:27 AM
Since we're on the subject of theists on an atheist forum, have there ever been women-theists? So far I've seen Bandit4God, Brucie-Wucie, and now Luke 19:27 (or was that John 23:23) and the late, unlamented CForceRunner but no women?  Have there been any in the past?

We are too busy cleaning the house and raising your 14 children to mess around on t'internet. Also we do not argue with men.  We Know Our Limits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjxY9rZwNGU

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Attila on October 16, 2011, 09:52:47 AM
Quote from: Tank on October 16, 2011, 07:50:42 AM
A classic example of thoughtlessnees on the part of a theist is our new member John 3:16, if he had any consideration for the environment he was entering he would not have used that name. At the moment I'm considering him thoughtless, he may turn out to be a troll or a Poe,
Hi Tank (ok not CareBear),
What's a Poe? I don't know the term. POS, I've heard but not Poe (except for Edgar Allen: and the bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells.)
TIA,
Attila
Beg pardon, I missed this but I see Recusent has dealt with it  :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

One of the more infamous, and effective (I have seen it being taken seriously on quite a few occasions) Poe sites is Landover Baptist Church.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Xjeepguy

I have gotten more and more outspoken with regards to my atheism, not because I want to annoy people, or because I want them to change their beliefs, but because I am sick and tired of the "religious right" cramming their ideals down my throat every time I turn on a tv or radio. I am sick and tired of people here in the US who think I should follow their rules and their doctrine because their "holy book" says so. There should be NO laws based on religion, and there should be NO tax breaks for religious organizations, because not everyone subscribes to it. In america, children are brainwashed from an early age to be Xtian. I know, it happened to me. I was taught the same intolerance and hate that can be seen any evening on the 700 club or faux news. I was told that if I didn't accept jesus I would perish in eternal flames, and that I should never think for myself, and how dare I *gasp* question the church? That bullshit cost me the better years of my life following something that simply isn't real, out of fear. So do I hate Xtianity? yes. Do I have that right? yes. Will I do whatever it takes to make sure this does not happen to my children? You better believe it.

So to answer the OP's question?
When theists respect my views, don't try to change me, and don't discriminate against me, I will offer the same respect.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

bandit4god

There are a ton of emotions around this topic, even more than I expected.  Coming back around to the original question, however, I'm still wondering how (and by what measure) convincing a theist to be an atheist adds value?

I am really curious to hear your thoughts, so a couple of possible answers to get the juices flowing:
- I consider pleasure to be valuable in it's various forms, and seeing someone discover the truth brings me pleasure
- Scientific progress has value, and will be accelerated if more clear-headed, atheistic minds were engaged in advancing science
- Life has positive intrinsic value, and suffering has negative intrinsic value, and atheism will reduce war, hatred, and bigotry in such a way as to promote life and reduce war/hatred/bigotry

Just examples of possible answers, please share yours!

Xjeepguy

Sorry about the rant. I just dealt with a relevant situation in my personal life, and I wrote that entire post on emotion alone. To give an honest answer, I would say the only real reason to share atheism with a theist would be to try to get them to understand why the hatred and bigotry xtianity tends to project, not only against homosexuals, but also against people of different races and most of all women is wrong. I have met xtians who were open and tolerant of others and treated all people with respect, and I have no problem with them.

I was raised to hate, and it took me years to get over that.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: bandit4god on October 16, 2011, 06:12:19 PM
Coming back around to the original question, however, I'm still wondering how (and by what measure) convincing a theist to be an atheist adds value?

I'm still waiting for examples of this atheist evangelism you've seen because I've never seen any of it, much less a greatly increased amount of it.  Without examples of what you're talking about, I have no idea how to answer.

If you're asking what value I would find personally in deconverting someone (which is very different from your original question), I'd say "none".  As long as the government and laws are secular, I don't care how religious our society and most of its citizens are.

Edited to add: The only value I do see in more people in our society being atheists is that there'd be far fewer attempts to violate the separation of church and state.  That's it and, as valuable as I do see that, I wouldn't do anything to deconvert anyone because that's simply not my business.  And I think it's possible to defend the separation of C&S without harrassing people about their private lives.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

bandit4god

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 16, 2011, 07:38:13 PM
I'm still waiting for examples of this atheist evangelism you've seen because I've never seen any of it, much less a greatly increased amount of it.  Without examples of what you're talking about, I have no idea how to answer.

Might be regionally concentrated, but a few notables that have been on the rise:
- professors beginning their classes by asking if there are theists present and excoriating them
- journalists framing questions about faith to interviewees in condescending ways
- the rise of the activist-scientist (e.g., Hawking's recent show on the Discovery channel, "Did God Create the Universe?")
- Bill Maher
- rise in court cases to remove student-led prayer from school grounds, references to God on government monuments/buildings, etc.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: bandit4god on October 16, 2011, 08:31:26 PM
Might be regionally concentrated, but a few notables that have been on the rise:
- professors beginning their classes by asking if there are theists present and excoriating them
- journalists framing questions about faith to interviewees in condescending ways
- the rise of the activist-scientist (e.g., Hawking's recent show on the Discovery channel, "Did God Create the Universe?")
- Bill Maher

These are just people giving their opinions, the same way the religious do in classes, in books, on TV shows, etc.  I wouldn't call this evangelizing.

Quote- rise in court cases to remove student-led prayer from school grounds, references to God on government monuments/buildings, etc.

And that's protecting the separation of church and state, an essential element of freedom in a diverse society.  Also not evangelizing.

Evangelizing is going door-to-door, or standing on street corners, asking people if they've found Jesus and trying to convince them to do so.  I've never seen atheists doing anything like that. 

Let me ask this, are you opposed to atheists giving their opinions as freely as the religious do?  Are you opposed to the separation of church and state?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

Might be regionally concentrated
It is.

Quote- professors beginning their classes by asking if there are theists present and excoriating them
It may have to do with the individual professor's experience with theists, but there is no excuse for bigotry.

Quote- journalists framing questions about faith to interviewees in condescending ways
Same, but that is sort of what the journalists do to keep the numbers up.

Quote- the rise of the activist-scientist (e.g., Hawking's recent show on the Discovery channel, "Did God Create the Universe?")
Presenting good and widely accepted science and its standing facts is not a bad thing. Counters blind faith, superstition and the like and promotes curiosity and critical thinking. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Quote- Bill Maher
Can be a bit of an asshole, but most of his points on religion tend to be sound.

Quote- rise in court cases to remove student-led prayer from school grounds, references to God on government monuments/buildings, etc.
Prayer in school is a waste of time for those who come there to learn not pray. The rest can pray in private during free periods if they are so inclined. You can't smoke at school either, but that never stopped me from having a cig during lunch when I was young.

Removing references to god from standing monuments is a bit silly, but there is no reason to add more of those. Brazilians have this huge statue of Jesus on some hilltop or some such. Ought to be enough, that. As for government buildings, god has no place in the government since god never ran for elections and was voted in.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

bandit4god

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 16, 2011, 08:46:31 PM
- Bill Maher

These are just people giving their opinions, the same way the religious do in classes, in books, on TV shows, etc.  I wouldn't call this evangelizing.

How about proselytizing: "to convert a person from one doctrine, cause, faith, or belief to another"?

QuoteLet me ask this, are you opposed to atheists giving their opinions as freely as the religious do?

Nope!  Just wonder what value you see in it.  Theists do it for many reasons that are clear and transparent, and some atheists (Hitchens) have been clear of their motivation as well.  But even for them, it's unclear to me what those value judgements are based on.  What standard of measurable value do atheists reference when they proselytize?

Asmodean

Quote from: bandit4god on October 16, 2011, 09:15:57 PM
What standard of measurable value do atheists reference when they proselytize?
I think I answered that rather directly somewhere. I also think it varies from person to person and from group to group.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Asmodean on October 16, 2011, 09:22:20 PM
Quote from: bandit4god on October 16, 2011, 09:15:57 PM
What standard of measurable value do atheists reference when they proselytize?
I think I answered that rather directly somewhere. I also think it varies from person to person and from group to group.

Agreed.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Xjeepguy

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 16, 2011, 07:38:13 PM

- Bill Maher
- rise in court cases to remove student-led prayer from school grounds, references to God on government monuments/buildings, etc.

- The exact opposite happened in several classrooms I was in during high school, and happens a lot more than you realize. (but thats more pubicly acceptable isn't it?)
- Try watching faux news or 700 club sometime
- Scientists talking about science?
- Jerry Fallwell, Pat Robertson
- I dont want my tax money paying for anything religious. Sorry, seperation of church and state is very much necessary. Or we can add references to allah, mohammed, and the flying spaghetti monster. Gotta be fair......