News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

coming out of the atheist closet :)

Started by no_god_know_peace, October 13, 2011, 05:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

no_god_know_peace

Quote from: Ildiko on October 13, 2011, 05:30:14 PM
Hi ngkp and welcome. (That seems a bit presumptious as I've only been here about 12 hours longer than you have!)

I didn't even know Canada had a bible belt - or maybe a whole load of them, given the size of the country? What's the story there? For some reason I imagine it's mostly in the Prairies, but I can't justify that except on the basis that there's probably not a lot else to do there on a Sunday.  :)

Ding ding ding ! you are correct, it is in the prairie area lol I spent a good chunk of my childhood living out west in Alberta in a small town where religion was donimant. I live in Toronto, Ontario now. I find that the more populated suburbs and the huge cities are not heavily influenced by religion while the smaller towns (regardless of province) are.

Ildiko

Quote from: no_god_know_peace on October 13, 2011, 06:23:02 PM
I live in Toronto, Ontario now. I find that the more populated suburbs and the huge cities are not heavily influenced by religion while the smaller towns (regardless of province) are.

Probably true everywhere. I have a friend who's a vicar in London, UK and she (yes, she) doesn't believe in god. Mind you, that's the Church of England for you.

Attila

Quote from: no_god_know_peace on October 13, 2011, 06:23:02 PM
Quote from: Ildiko on October 13, 2011, 05:30:14 PM
Hi ngkp and welcome. (That seems a bit presumptious as I've only been here about 12 hours longer than you have!)

I didn't even know Canada had a bible belt - or maybe a whole load of them, given the size of the country? What's the story there? For some reason I imagine it's mostly in the Prairies, but I can't justify that except on the basis that there's probably not a lot else to do there on a Sunday.  :)

Ding ding ding ! you are correct, it is in the prairie area lol I spent a good chunk of my childhood living out west in Alberta in a small town where religion was donimant. I live in Toronto, Ontario now. I find that the more populated suburbs and the huge cities are not heavily influenced by religion while the smaller towns (regardless of province) are.
Hi ngkp,
I observed the same phenomenon in Tunisia (and Turkey). I had a gig in Sfax in southern Tunisia and flew into Tunis. Someone met us with a car and we drove down to Sfax. The roads are not at all superhighways so I could observe behaviour on settled areas on the way south. We drove through some big towns and a lot of small villages. I observed the headgear of the women and in small villages nearly 100% of the women wore scarves. while in the larger urban areas less than 25% had their heads covered. Religion is a social phenomenon and social pressure (as you know) is greater in small towns and villages than it is in larger cities. In Tunis (the capital) religious manifestations in dress virtually disappear. Social pressure rather than belief structure seems to be the major driving force.
Ciao,
Attila