News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Christians and Atheists are 99.99% in agreement

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, October 06, 2011, 03:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Attila on October 15, 2011, 02:43:26 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 15, 2011, 02:25:06 PM
Quote from: Tank on October 15, 2011, 02:09:48 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 15, 2011, 01:58:47 PM
Quote from: Davin on October 14, 2011, 05:00:24 PM
Wow, hey there, BooksCatsEtc never said it was a deficiency (in fact BooksCatsEtc said it may have been beneficial), so please cut back the condescending attitude and insults.

In post #54 Tank told me that he truly thought I was "touched," which is a nice way of saying that he thinks I'm nuts. He encouraged honesty, so I responded. I guess it's OK for an atheist here to say something negative about a Christian, but not the other way around.  I thought that by putting the smiley face no one would be offended.  Guess I'm still learning where the line is.  I truly didn't mean to be condescending or insulting, but someone's always going to get offended, no matter what is said. Books didn't seem to mind, however.
I think it's a question of judging how the individual will react. I'm sure at your age you've had lots worse said and I was prepared to take a kicking if you objected and would give as good as you got. I wouldn't have said what I said to a younger, less experienced person, as there would have been a much higher chance of the person getting the hump. Your response , unique in my forum experience, also stimulated some interesting debate.

Good observation about considering how a person will react.  Since I'm new around here, I don't know the personalities.  I'll try to take your perspective to heart, as I really don't want to get into fights or insults.  I've had enough of those for several lifetimes.
No worries Bruce. (god I've waited years to be able to say that). Tank is just a big, warm, cuddly bear with a heart of gold. He just loves to romp and  play, that's all. And what's more he never even banned you. :)
ciao,
Attila
I didn't ban you either, that as collateral damage  ;D

And I am not a Care Bear!  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 15, 2011, 02:20:27 AM
Quote from: Davin on October 13, 2011, 03:54:34 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 13, 2011, 02:32:22 AM
Quote from: Davin on October 12, 2011, 04:27:53 PM
Being an autistic person, I have no idea what you mean.

Then I value your perspective.  Tell me what autism means to you.
It means nothing to me, it's just the way I am. The problem I have is that you said that I cannot see a face or a person. I see plenty of faces and plenty of people.

I probably should have said that people with severe autism don't really see the person behind the face.  You apparently don't have a very severe case of autism.  Mild case of Aspergers, perhaps? You have no problem communicating.  My fault for not being more clear.
My psychiatrist disagrees with your assessment of my severity. While many people with autism do have difficulties communicating, that is not an effective method for determining how severe one's autism is. Also keep in mind that many people with autism find it considerably easier to have conversations with people on forums and in chat than in person.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 15, 2011, 01:58:47 PM
Quote from: Davin on October 14, 2011, 05:00:24 PMWow, hey there, BooksCatsEtc never said it was a deficiency (in fact BooksCatsEtc said it may have been beneficial), so please cut back the condescending attitude and insults.

In post #54 Tank told me that he truly thought I was "touched," which is a nice way of saying that he thinks I'm nuts. He encouraged honesty, so I responded. I guess it's OK for an atheist here to say something negative about a Christian, but not the other way around.  I thought that by putting the smiley face no one would be offended.  Guess I'm still learning where the line is.  I truly didn't mean to be condescending or insulting, but someone's always going to get offended, no matter what is said. Books didn't seem to mind, however.
As far as I understand it, Tank and BooksCatsEtc are different people, also, your statement was in general about everyone who is not a believer. You want to take it out on Tank, then do so, but don't try to play the persecution card when Tank addressed only you and you addressed all non-believers. Of course you're free to do so, I can't actually make you do anything, it was more of a figure of speach.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Whitney

If I see another person throw out the persecution card again I'm just going to ban them....ok, well maybe not but It would make me feel better since the major aspect of how we moderate HAF is to avoid bias as much as possible.  If someone thinks they are being corrected just because they are christian then they need to read through more of the rest of the forum to find the many, and even recent, times that an atheist member has been called out for not being in line.  If you are corrected it means you screwed up in some way and if the reason you screwed up is related to your religious beliefs then your beliefs are inherently screwed up.

Carry on....

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 18, 2011, 01:49:21 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 13, 2011, 02:32:22 AM
Books didn't seem to mind, however.

I have different buttons that get pushed.

I'm not sure I want to follow up on that one, being happily married and all.  :D

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Whitney on October 17, 2011, 06:53:54 PM
If I see another person throw out the persecution card again I'm just going to ban them....ok, well maybe not but It would make me feel better since the major aspect of how we moderate HAF is to avoid bias as much as possible.  If someone thinks they are being corrected just because they are christian then they need to read through more of the rest of the forum to find the many, and even recent, times that an atheist member has been called out for not being in line.  If you are corrected it means you screwed up in some way and if the reason you screwed up is related to your religious beliefs then your beliefs are inherently screwed up.

If that was aimed at me, I did not allege persecution.  Someone called me out for making an analogy with autism, and I responded by pointing out that Tank had first called me "touched" - or crazy.  But I wasn't claiming persecution.  I got a little ticked at someone calling me a liar on another thread, but that had nothing to do with this thread, and in any event, I'm miles past that now.  Sorry for causing a problem.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Davin on October 17, 2011, 06:05:05 PM
My psychiatrist disagrees with your assessment of my severity. While many people with autism do have difficulties communicating, that is not an effective method for determining how severe one's autism is. Also keep in mind that many people with autism find it considerably easier to have conversations with people on forums and in chat than in person.

Well, I'm no psychiatrist, and I'll defer to him and to you regarding your own experience.  I think the studies I've seen relate more to severely autistic children not being able to distinguish faces, but that apparently does not apply to you.  By the way, just reading your posts, I would never suspect that you were autistic, for what it's worth.