News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Hello

Started by Cocoon123, October 09, 2011, 04:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cocoon123

Hello, I am new to Happy Atheist Forum.

My interests include science, exercise, reading, and writing.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Cocoon123 on October 09, 2011, 04:34:39 AM
Hello, I am new to Happy Atheist Forum.

My interests include science, exercise, reading, and writing.

Except for the interest in exercise, we could be twins.  Welcome.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Cocoon123. From the interests you describe, I think you'll find this place congenial and salutary.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Good and Godless

Hi!  Just curious, are you a new atheist, old atheist, theist or other?
"A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectively on sympathy, education and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." -Albert Einstein
http://goodandgodless.blogspot.com/

KingPhilip

Quote from: Good and Godless on October 09, 2011, 10:32:09 PM
Hi!  Just curious, are you a new atheist, old atheist, theist or other?
Quote from: Cocoon123 on October 09, 2011, 04:34:39 AMMy interests include science, exercise, reading, and writing.

I wouldn't place much money on theist.... but regardless of whether you are or not, welcome Cocoon. :)
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~ Krishnamurti

Good and Godless

QuoteI wouldn't place much money on theist.... but regardless of whether you are or not, welcome Cocoon.

Haha!  So are you saying there are no science-minded theists?  My husband is an ER doc, and I am always surprised by how many believing doctors there are.  Clearly, they all have an interest in science, but still an attachment to their belief.  I was particularly surprised by the Mormon doctor who, according to my husband, was one of the smartest in his residency.  However, when I asked him about the mormon culture of having lots of kids (there were on #3), he seriously reasoned that since there are a finite number of souls, Mormon's believe it is their duty to have more babies so they can provide more souls with the stable family life and introduction to Mormon faith that is apparently required for salvation.  Mind-boggling!

Anyway, with that said, I agree.  Cocoon probably isn't a theist.  8)
"A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectively on sympathy, education and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." -Albert Einstein

Good and Godless

By the way, how do I get the quote to say who and when it is from?

Tank

Quote from: Good and Godless on October 10, 2011, 10:26:56 PM
By the way, how do I get the quote to say who and when it is from?
Quote this and have a look at the detail.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.