Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

My view of Physics and God

Started by SuperiorEd, September 26, 2011, 12:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperiorEd

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on September 26, 2011, 04:35:28 AM
O-kaayy?

Also, in regard to your response to Fester, quoting the bible will get you absolutely no-where unless you are able to convince us that it has validity. Your appeal to authority, in of itself, isn't going to work because we don't acknowledge the authority.

Saying "the Bible is a mirror" means nothing to us. I might as well worship my mirror because, heck, my mirror is REALLY a mirror!

I am not here to convince you.  Faith is God's department.  I will, however, give you a higher ideal than rational reason.  Rationality is only the first step to truth.  The second is humility apart form theology and especially bias.  Humility is much more intellectual than rational reason.  Rationality clings to bias.  Humility is free from bias and open to what is most obvious.  Pride causes a person to stick to a mindset.  Humility allows truth to set a person free.  I cannot convince you of this and don't need to.  I'll say it anyway.  Bias blinds.  Martin Luther King Jr. realized this and overcame his.  Truth followed.  Humility is the key.  The next best mindset is faith from humility.  Hope is the result.  

Why does the flaming sword blind knowledge but cut away pride?  Suffering and healing at the same time.  

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: SuperiorEd on September 26, 2011, 04:35:39 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on September 26, 2011, 04:27:56 AM
The thing is, I don't worship physics. My very happiness and mental well-being isn't founded on the fact that I believe our current understanding of physics to be infallible. I don't. There was a thread here just the other day about how it may be possible that one of Einsteins theories may be proven false; there may be particles that can travel faster than light which, until now, has seemed to be impossible.

I am not trying to convince you.  Faith is not something a person finds.  Faith is something God works in us.  It is his burden.  Our burden is living life and finding God as he works.  My job here is to allow the flaming sword to do its work.  In Genesis, God protects the tree of life with the flaming sword of His consuming fire.  This works to cut away pride in the individual.  I am doing some alchemy here and trying to find answers to more.  Since I have taken this path, all roads lead back to the Bible.  No matter where I go or what I read, the Bible is steadfast as the source of all streams that flow from it.  

As I present my thoughts, I am hoping for something to reveal any pride that is left in me.  If there is a better answer, I am waiting patiently.  It is pretty hard to beat education from a bestowal of love.  

Your pride is that you think God is talking to you, that he loves you, that you are special and you are doing "his work." Those are pretty much the most prideful things I think a person can believe. If God wanted creatures with real humility, he'd never let them know he existed.

Also, what you're doing is pretty much straight-up preaching and I doubt you'll be here much longer. It's really a pity that you couldn't give this forum a chance and talk to the people here as actual people. As we've told you before, there are religious people here who carry themselves respectfully and get the same treatment in kind.  
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

There is humility in accepting that one doesn't know, you know. I would much rather prefer to based such beliefs (is there a god?) on what I know, and not on what I don't and in the process submit my limited intellect to someone's version of a higher power.

Religions push ignorance and try to sell their brand of 'knowledge'.

And you are preaching, which is a bit annoying. We have regular theist posters here who put out their opinions and defend their beliefs but don't keep trying to sell any 'higher ideals' as you are.

I'm thinking troll.  ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

SuperiorEd

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 26, 2011, 04:38:43 AM
I am not trying to convince you.  Faith is not something a person finds.  Faith is something God works in us.  It is his burden.  Our burden is living life and finding God as he works.  My job here is to allow the flaming sword to do its work.  In Genesis, God protects the tree of life with the flaming sword of His consuming fire.  This works to cut away pride in the individual.  I am doing some alchemy here and trying to find answers to more.  Since I have taken this path, all roads lead back to the Bible. No matter where I go or what I read, the Bible is steadfast as the source of all streams that flow from it.

You may have your emotional reasons for believing in a god, but that right there is the definition of confirmation bias...

Augustine had a good answer to this.  I also say that to avoid confirmation bias is to fall into the trap of misplaced concreteness.  All the fallacies created by atheists to move a person away from faith can be equally mirrored back to the inversion of disbelief.  There is no good result from inversion of bias.  As I stated earlier, humility has all the reasoning paradigms beat.  

"And yet the validity of logical sequences is not a thing devised by men, but is observed and noted by them that they may be able to learn and teach it; for it exists eternally in the reason of things, and has its origin with God. For as the man who narrates the order of events does not himself create that order; and as he who describes the situations of places, or the natures of animals, or roots, or minerals, does not describe arrangements of man; and as he who points out the stars and their movements does not point out anything that he himself or any other man has ordained;—in the same way, he who says, "When the consequent is false, the antecedent must also be false," says what is most true; but he does not himself make it so, he only points out that it is so."

SuperiorEd

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 26, 2011, 04:47:54 AM
There is humility in accepting that one doesn't know, you know. I would much rather prefer to based such beliefs (is there a god?) on what I know, and not on what I don't and in the process submit my limited intellect to someone's version of a higher power.

Sure.  I see your point and raise you one more.  We don't know, but we can know.  Humility always assumes that the answer is there.  Bias gives up.  Not for me.  Being open to rational logic must include a removal of bias as a quantity in the equation.  Spock would agree with me.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: SuperiorEd on September 26, 2011, 04:52:04 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 26, 2011, 04:47:54 AM

Sure.  I see your point and raise you one more.  We don't know, but we can know.  Humility always assumes that the answer is there.  Bias gives up.  Not for me.  Being open to rational logic must include a removal of bias as a quantity in the equation.  Spock would agree with me.

You are just making up meanings to words now.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: SuperiorEd on September 26, 2011, 04:49:02 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 26, 2011, 04:38:43 AM
I am not trying to convince you.  Faith is not something a person finds.  Faith is something God works in us.  It is his burden.  Our burden is living life and finding God as he works.  My job here is to allow the flaming sword to do its work.  In Genesis, God protects the tree of life with the flaming sword of His consuming fire.  This works to cut away pride in the individual.  I am doing some alchemy here and trying to find answers to more.  Since I have taken this path, all roads lead back to the Bible. No matter where I go or what I read, the Bible is steadfast as the source of all streams that flow from it.

You may have your emotional reasons for believing in a god, but that right there is the definition of confirmation bias...

Augustine had a good answer to this.  I also say that to avoid confirmation bias is to fall into the trap of misplaced concreteness.  All the fallacies created by atheists to move a person away from faith can be equally mirrored back to the inversion of disbelief.  There is no good result from inversion of bias.  As I stated earlier, humility has all the reasoning paradigms beat.  

"And yet the validity of logical sequences is not a thing devised by men, but is observed and noted by them that they may be able to learn and teach it; for it exists eternally in the reason of things, and has its origin with God. For as the man who narrates the order of events does not himself create that order; and as he who describes the situations of places, or the natures of animals, or roots, or minerals, does not describe arrangements of man; and as he who points out the stars and their movements does not point out anything that he himself or any other man has ordained;—in the same way, he who says, "When the consequent is false, the antecedent must also be false," says what is most true; but he does not himself make it so, he only points out that it is so."

It is confirmation bias when you interpret vague and symbolic language to fit what you want it to fit, and look for other things that will also fit that vague paradigm, especially while ignoring all the other things that are not feeding that bias.

QuoteSure.  I see your point and raise you one more.  We don't know, but we can know.  Humility always assumes that the answer is there.  Bias gives up.  Not for me.  Being open to rational logic must include a removal of bias as a quantity in the equation.  Spock would agree with me.

Prove that we can know, because everything I've seen so far points to god or gods, if there are any, are unknowable. I have good reasons not to accept any claims based on personal experiences and have not seen anything that could be shown to be the work of a god without it being an interpretational paradigm.

SuperiorEd

Deleted Duplicate

SuperiorEd

You Said:
"The thing is, I don't worship physics. My very happiness and mental well-being isn't founded on the fact that I believe our current understanding of physics to be infallible. I don't. There was a thread here just the other day about how it may be possible that one of Einsteins theories may be proven false; there may be particles that can travel faster than light which, until now, has seemed to be impossible.

Your pride is that you think God is talking to you, that he loves you, that you are special and you are doing "his work." Those are pretty much the most prideful things I think a person can believe. If God wanted creatures with real humility, he'd never let them know he existed.

Also, what you're doing is pretty much straight-up preaching and I doubt you'll be here much longer. It's really a pity that you couldn't give this forum a chance and talk to the people here as actual people. As we've told you before, there are religious people here who carry themselves respectfully and get the same treatment in kind."  

SuperiorEd:
I have answered questions that have been asked.  This is the religion section.  I have also provided a context form science for my comments.  I am an object and if the subject is preaching to your or not, this is not my job.  I am only telling what I know for the purpose I presented.  I want to be challenged with better information that what I can provide.  It's not a contest.  We should all be searching for truth from any perspective we can find.  If I ever say that "you" should be doing something, then I am preaching.  So far, I have not.  Your life is up to you.

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on September 26, 2011, 04:27:56 AM

xSilverPhinx

DeterminedJuliet

QuoteI am an object and if the subject is preaching to your or not, this is not my job.

You are the one putting your fingers on the keyboard, so you are the one responsible for what you write. If God wants to present his case to us, tell him to get his own account.

xSilverPhinx

QuoteMy job here is to allow the flaming sword to do its work.

A nice way of saying: I'm preaching here. ::)

SuperiorEd

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 26, 2011, 05:03:03 AM
Were you always Christian?

I was Baptized at 9, then lived a life of doubt.  I started the process of searching in 1996 and knew God in my heart.  I needed to know Him in my mind.  The doubt came from all the bias I felt toward suffering.  Once I found that suffering has a direction, I was free from the reasoning of bias.  There are two ways to suffer in this world.  We either suffer from our own efforts or the efforts of others.  If we take reward, suffering follows.  If we suffer work for others (consider yourself on of the others), then reward follows.  

The second thing that confirmed my faith was in my view of divine justice.  When Satan visited God again in Job 2 after killing Job's children, God said this:

3 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil. And he still maintains his integrity, though you incited me against him to ruin him without any reason."

4 "Skin for skin!" Satan replied.

Why Skin for skin as a reply?  A snake sheds his skin, but the snake remains.  Satan was just telling God it didn't matter, they would be back.  

In John 3, Jesus says, "you must be born again."  There is no other alternative.  

For me, the final judgment of God implies that there are other judgments.  Divine justice is truly divine.  We must live under the veil by faith, not fact.  Learning and testing reveals our heart.  God is long-suffering.

These truths set me free to view God as He is.  As a loving God who have given me the gift of life and the education to understand the next.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: SuperiorEd on September 26, 2011, 05:11:04 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 26, 2011, 05:03:03 AM
Were you always Christian?

I was Baptized at 9, then lived a life of doubt.  I started the process of searching in 1996 and knew God in my heart.  I needed to know Him in my mind.  The doubt came from all the bias I felt toward suffering.  Once I found that suffering has a direction, I was free from the reasoning of bias.  There are two ways to suffer in this world.  We either suffer from our own efforts or the efforts of others.  If we take reward, suffering follows.  If we suffer work for others (consider yourself on of the others), then reward follows.

You do realise that thinking that one is bias-free is in itself a bias, right? ;)

QuoteThe second thing that confirmed my faith was in my view of divine justice.  When Satan visited God again in Job 2 after killing Job's children, God said this:

3 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil. And he still maintains his integrity, though you incited me against him to ruin him without any reason."

4 "Skin for skin!" Satan replied.

Why Skin for skin as a reply?  A snake sheds his skin, but the snake remains.  Satan was just telling God it didn't matter, they would be back.  

Yet god allowed satan to ruin Job, and even kill his sons who had nothing to do with anything.If there's a divine point to suffering, why did Job's sons have to suffer for that?  

QuoteIn John 3, Jesus says, "you must be born again."  There is no other alternative.  

For me, the final judgment of God implies that there are other judgments.  Divine justice is truly divine.  We must live under the veil by faith, not fact.  Learning and testing reveals our heart.  God is long-suffering.

These truths set me free to view God as He is.  As a loving God who have given me the gift of life and the education to understand the next.

Edited to add:

What do you think about the suffering of innocents? How do you reconcile that with god's love?

Defend your beliefs, but don't preach. There is a difference between the two...

DeterminedJuliet

I bought a shampoo "bar" and the packaging told me that it was supposed to last three weeks, but it's only a week and a half and it's almost gone!

I'm really thinking of complaining :(