News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

homosexuality

Started by phillip1882, September 22, 2011, 04:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fyv0h

Quote from: Chronos on September 24, 2011, 01:43:54 AM
...Stuff Chronos said...

Love the name. Chronos. Awesome. Eat babies!

I guess the problem I have with society and it's disdain for homosexuality is that the benefit of gay marraige is lost with this misconception of homosexuality being an abomination, and the subsequent laws passed to appease the righteous tards. It seems to me that children brought up in environments with access to an accepted same-sex couple would tend to view the concept less critically. Just as children of (or raised around) interracial couples tend to be less racist, children brought up in the company of homosexuals would tend to be less homophobic and more accepting of the culture. Nothing cures intolerance like multiculturalism, i guess is the statement I'm making?
Jesus freaks out in the street. Handing tickets out for God.
Turning back, she just laughs. The boulevard is not that bad.  ~Elton John

لا إله

WWSDJD - What Would Sammy Davis Jr Do?

Sandra Craft

Quote from: fyv0h on September 28, 2011, 05:50:50 PM
Nothing cures intolerance like multiculturalism, i guess is the statement I'm making?

True enough, from what I've heard there've been enough kids raised in same-sex parent households over a long enough period of time to do studies of how they turned out and they found that altho there's only a slightly higher likelihood of the kids being homosexual themselves than kids raised by opposite-sex parents, there a much greater likelihood of the kids being tolerant and accepting of lifestyle differences. 

Unfortunately, that itself is the problem with homophobes.  They don't want greater tolerance of homosexuality, and they want anything that could cause it stepped on and eliminated fast.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Stevil

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 29, 2011, 02:03:49 AM
They don't want greater tolerance...
Tolerance should not be tolerated.

I have heard a theist state that they thought government were forcing tolerance of gay marriage onto their state and that they shouldn't be forced to tolerate it.

This of course makes no sense, but the way people twist things is amazing to me. They think I should consider their stance to be honest and that they are a victim because they are not allowed to outlaw something that they will never be the victim of.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Stevil on September 29, 2011, 05:52:33 AM

I have heard a theist state that they thought government were forcing tolerance of gay marriage onto their state and that they shouldn't be forced to tolerate it.

This of course makes no sense, but the way people twist things is amazing to me. They think I should consider their stance to be honest and that they are a victim because they are not allowed to outlaw something that they will never be the victim of.

Some people's brains hurt when they are made to realize that you can't outlaw something just because you don't like it. They don't like homosexuality, so they do all kinds of rationalizations and mental gymnastics to come up with "reasons" to outlaw it. The reasons make no sense and they probably know it. They don't care. They want to outlaw gay marriage because they, on a very personal level, just don't like it.

Of course, most of us realize that not liking something is not a good enough reason to outlaw it, but some people aren't used to being told "no".
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on September 29, 2011, 04:05:26 PM

Some people's brains hurt when they are made to realize that you can't outlaw something just because you don't like it. They don't like homosexuality, so they do all kinds of rationalizations and mental gymnastics to come up with "reasons" to outlaw it. The reasons make no sense and they probably know it. They don't care. They want to outlaw gay marriage because they, on a very personal level, just don't like it.

Of course, most of us realize that not liking something is not a good enough reason to outlaw it
, but some people aren't used to being told "no".
Glee?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on September 29, 2011, 04:14:25 PM

Of course, most of us realize that not liking something is not a good enough reason to outlaw it
, but some people aren't used to being told "no".
Glee?

Nooooo, actually. Was that from the most recent season? I watched the first season, but I haven't seen anything since :P
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on September 29, 2011, 04:31:57 PM
Glee?

Nooooo, actually. Was that from the most recent season? I watched the first season, but I haven't seen anything since :P
Jezzz the title was enough for me to avoid it like tooth ache!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on September 29, 2011, 04:38:59 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on September 29, 2011, 04:31:57 PM
Glee?

Jezzz the title was enough for me to avoid it like tooth ache!

Hahaha :D :D

Ecurb Noselrub

Of course, most of us realize that not liking something is not a good enough reason to outlaw it, but some people aren't used to being told "no".

Valid observation.  The idea of two men having sex may disgust me and cause a visceral reaction, but that in and of itself is no reason for me to demand that it be outlawed.  Some of the things people eat disgust me to, and some of the clothes I see people wear in Wal-Mart disgust me even more.  Working in a hospital, I see some repugnantly fat people come in complaining of health problems, and there is an immediate and negative visceral reaction in the core of my being. However, I don't demand that they be "outlawed."  Generally, I'm for individual liberty, and I think that government should stay out of people's lives unless they are harming someone else.  So, if two men want to marry, that's their business, whether I understand it or not.

Here in Texas, a comedian/musician/author/bullshit artist named Kinky Friedman ran for governor in 2006.  I decided to vote for him when he was asked "do you support gay marriage." His response was "yes, I support gay marriage. Why shouldn't they be as miserable as the rest of us?"  

Xjeepguy

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 08, 2011, 03:42:52 AM

Valid observation.  The idea of two men having sex may disgust me and cause a visceral reaction, but that in and of itself is no reason for me to demand that it be outlawed.  Some of the things people eat disgust me to, and some of the clothes I see people wear in Wal-Mart disgust me even more.  Working in a hospital, I see some repugnantly fat people come in complaining of health problems, and there is an immediate and negative visceral reaction in the core of my being. However, I don't demand that they be "outlawed."  Generally, I'm for individual liberty, and I think that government should stay out of people's lives unless they are harming someone else.  So, if two men want to marry, that's their business, whether I understand it or not.

Here in Texas, a comedian/musician/author/bullshit artist named Kinky Friedman ran for governor in 2006.  I decided to vote for him when he was asked "do you support gay marriage." His response was "yes, I support gay marriage. Why shouldn't they be as miserable as the rest of us?"  

Why can't all theists think this way?
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Tank

Quote from: Xjeepguy on October 08, 2011, 03:50:26 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 08, 2011, 03:42:52 AM

Why can't all theists think this way?
Because only a limited number of people are capable of critical thought and an even smaller number actually bother to make the effort.

Good and Godless

I just watched a documentary (you can stream it on Netflix) called For the Bible Tells Me So.  It focuses on how the Bible is misused to persecute homosexuals.  It was an interesting movie, though I give you fair warning that most of the people (even the open-minded, tolerant ones) are religious.  It was ultimately a hopeful message that the attitude toward homosexuals within the religious community is and will continue to change and become more accepting.

I'm just left with one major question, though.  So many people in the movie have an epiphany about homosexuality.  They realize that God wouldn't make homosexuals only to curse them to hell.  Or they realize that Jesus' message of love is more important than obscure Old Testament references to sexual behavior.  So many people have an "a-ha" moment about this, but so few of them go the next step to question the existence of god altogether.  In fact, many of them thank him for bringing about their change of heart.  How is it that there isn't more of a snowball effect here? 
"A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectively on sympathy, education and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." -Albert Einstein
http://goodandgodless.blogspot.com/

Xjeepguy

I watched that documentary a few weeks ago. It's sad about some of those people and what they went through, and how their families treated them.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Good and Godless

It was sad.  But at least most of the parents grew to accept and even embrace their children's homosexuality.  Unfortunately, in Christian homes, I think this is the exception rather than the rule. 

I was particularly infuriated by the clips of Dr. Dobson and Jimmy Swaggart.  It amazes me that such hatred can parade around as Christian Ministry.  I find the whole idea of "reforming" sexuality complete asininity.
"A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectively on sympathy, education and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." -Albert Einstein
http://goodandgodless.blogspot.com/

Norfolk And Chance

Hmm, homosexuality, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

It used to though.

As a lifelong atheist, it wasn't anything in the bible that made me against it, neither was I brought up to fear or hate gays.

I just decided in my youth that because gays are a minority that they weren't "normal". Before anybody jumps down my throat with "what is normal?", "yes they are normal!" - no, no they aren't. "The norm" is what the majority do ie man sleeps with woman, so homosexuals aren't normal by definition.

My attitude changed, when I came to the conclusion "what is actually wrong with not being normal?" - I couldn't really justify my anti-gay opinion any longer. So now I don't mind at all.

I have to say though, if I see two men kissing on TV, I can't actually stomach it, it makes me cringe. No problem with two women kissing though, work that one out. (i know that statement goes against my initial sentence, to clarify - watching the homosexual act bothers me as heterosexual stuff turns me on, but I'm no longer bothered by anyone being gay, if that makes any sense)

Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty