News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

True blood: All seasons discussion thread

Started by Sweetdeath, September 12, 2011, 05:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

So the season finale for season four was last night.  For anyone who has to been keeping up or just wants to chat about the show, this is your thread! :)

-We can talk plot twists
-What you did or did not enjoy
-Characters who should or shouldn't have died.
-etc
Warning: this thread is prone to spoilers!
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Crow

I enjoyed the first series as it felt more like an observation of society using vampires as a method to show the ignorance, hypocrisy and stupidity that exists, whilst also allowing the writers to tackle issues without directly attacking the audience. I then watched the second series and realised it was just going to become an adult version of buffy the vampire slayer and have never watched it again. The opening credits are still great though and the Jessica character is hot.
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

Haha, that is a good observation.
Though I think even without the sex, this series is completely different from Buffy.
Also, I would tell anyone to skip the second season entirely, as it really, really SUCKED.

Jessica is so enchanting. *____*

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

joeactor

Agreed on the first season - very excellent tv.

This season was still good, but they've gotten way too complicated.
I need a guide just to keep all the creatures and plot-lines straight.

Normally, I'll skip over the "previously on...", but I need it for this season.

Re: the finale - It seemed like they rushed a couple plot lines just to get rid of certain characters (3 in particular).

Hope they keep it a bit more simple next one...

Sweetdeath

I agree. The whole plot with the werepanthers was completely pointless! (Not to mention creepy.)
I thought they killed off Jesus for no reason at all...

Looking forward to the next season with Russell coming back.

Sandra Craft

Oooohhh, the thread I've been waiting for!   ;D

Hate that Tara got killed, but on the other hand the writers treated that character like crap so maybe it's better this way.  Somebody once said that Alan Ball doesn't know what to do with black characters if they're not gay and, while I have no opinion about that, it is an interesting observation.  A thought: since Bill and Eric are right next door at Bill's place, and they've both been sucking down Sookie's blood like nobody's business, shouldn't they be able to feel her despair and zip right over there?  I wonder what the chances are that next season Tara returns as Bill or Eric's progeny?

Actually sad that Debbie got killed.  When her character was introduced last season, I loathed her and would have cheerfully seen her head shotgunned off but this season I started feeling sorry for her.  It seemed that she really was trying to turn herself around but was just too messed up to pull it off.

Hate that Nan got killed, but loved the Bill/Eric teamwork that accomplished it.  Those two have a real talent for giving each other meaningful glances and coming up with plans without saying a word.  As friends they're a no-go, as romantic rivals they're ridiculous but as co-conspirators they're brilliant.

Finally, but very far from least, I nearly cried when Jesus got killed, and I'm not a crier.  I adored Jesus (and this is the only place you'll see me use that sentence) -- he was kind, loving, intelligent, funny and, the cherry on top, great looking.  OK, he was also a brujo but life is full of compromises.  If I were a gay man, that's the boyfriend I'd want.  At least he got to come back as a ghost to say good-bye to Lafayette, which is more than the others got.

I was never that big a Gran fan, but it was funny when she just pulled Marnie out of Lafayette.  I could almost hear her thinking "Enough of the gentle coaxing, I'm tired of your shenanigans, girl!  You're dead, now move on like all the rest of us!"

Loved seeing Rene again, tho why is he still faking a Cajun accent?

I'm indifferent to the Jason/Jessica/Hoyt soap opera but it's better than Hotshot, so I'm not complaining.  

Steve Newland as a vampire doesn't surprise me at all -- he was pretty much asking for it.  Tho I wonder how he's managed to survive 6 mos when he's not smart enough not to show his fangs until after he's invited inside.

Altho I dislike Pam I found the scene with Ginger comforting her touching.  For once Pam was acting like a person and not a cartoon character.  Yes, I know they're all pretty much cartoon characters but Pam is extreme.

Holly is turning out to be a surprisingly interesting character.  Kind of agree that she's way too good for Andy, tho I get a laugh out of him most times.  Chris Bauer is a revelation.

My reaction to the Terry/Arlene 'ship was the opposite of the possible Holly/Andy -- I thought Terry way too good for Arlene.  I am starting to slowly warm up to Arlene tho.  I can date it from the point when she stopped being such a hysterical freak about that poor baby of hers.  Evil, my eye; Mikey is way too adorable to be evil.

Not sure how I feel about Russell coming back.  He was a great character but I don't feel any need to see him again.  Maybe next season will change my mind.

Favorite lines last night:
"I liked you better when you were brain damaged."  Yeah, me too.
"Excuse me, feeling a little crispy here."  Or words to that effect.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sweetdeath

Sorry, it's hard for me to quote on my droid, but I like every ty hing you said.

The biggest issue I alwats had with Tara was in the novels, she isn't a black character, so I don't know WHY they change the character's ethnicity.  I never really liked her anyway.  She's become nothing more than canon fodder.

Poor crispy Bill and Eric. xD

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Sweetdeath on September 17, 2011, 05:49:53 AM
The biggest issue I alwats had with Tara was in the novels, she isn't a black character, so I don't know WHY they change the character's ethnicity.  I never really liked her anyway.  She's become nothing more than canon fodder.

I'm guessing Ball just wanted a more mixed main cast but then he never really knew what to do with Tara so it was pretty much a wasted effort.  By the way, I've read it's confirmed that Tara is returning next season so I'm hoping that Bill or Eric is going to turn her to save her.  I've always thought Tara would make a good vampire (she certainly has the personality for it) and maybe this angle for Tara's story will actually work.

Did you catch that bit were Tara said she was an atheist?  That was a big surprise to me as she always seemed on board with the whole conventional god thing, even if she wasn't big on church-going.  I thought throwing that tidbit into the pot was even odder than having her suddenly turn out to be bisexual, and wondered why Ball thought it was necessary.  Obviously, I've got no problem with characters who are atheist and/or bisexual but to be meaningful it needs to be an on-going part of their character, something that's seen to affect their thinking or actions more than once or twice.
Sandy

Sweetdeath

Meh, well sadly the problem with bad writing is that everyone who really is gay or atheist ends up with another bad media image or stereotype added on.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Sweetdeath on September 19, 2011, 06:24:16 AM
Meh, well sadly the problem with bad writing is that everyone who really is gay or atheist ends up with another bad media image or stereotype added on.

I know, I know, but it still irks me.  I don't know if you watch Bones, which used to be one of my favorite shows, but they did pretty much the same thing there with the Angela character.  It was an empty ratings ploy, and an insultingly obvious one.
Sandy

Sweetdeath

Yeah, I agree.  Though, at least the writings  for Bones Is way better than TB.