News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Does having surgery changes how people perceive you?

Started by highway17, September 21, 2011, 09:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highway17

My left vocal chord is completely paralyzed, leaving me with a raspy sounding voice. I can't yell, and I'm usually not confident when talking to people.

Next summer (summer of 2012) I plan on having this surgically repaired. This will change my voice drastically, for the better, however I'm worried it will change how people see me, or even how I see myself (personality, self esteem, etc.) Is this a valid concern?

Whitney

Sounds like it will create positive changes allowing you more confidence.  I don't think that is something to be concerned about.

If it was going to leave a scar then you might have something to be concerned about but I can tell you from experience that having a noticeable scar doesn't bother anyone but the person who has it.

highway17

Quote from: Whitney on September 21, 2011, 10:35:58 PM
Sounds like it will create positive changes allowing you more confidence.  I don't think that is something to be concerned about.

If it was going to leave a scar then you might have something to be concerned about but I can tell you from experience that having a noticeable scar doesn't bother anyone but the person who has it.
I already have plenty of scars (born premature, with heart problems, etc.)

DeterminedJuliet

I would think that anyone worth caring about wouldn't care if/what kind of surgery you have. :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Will

I have a large scar from close to the middle of my back around my rib cage under my left arm to around where my peck is. I've had it since I was only 5 years old due to extensive cardiovascular system surgery. With a shirt on, no one is the wiser; I appear like any other dude. When I go swimming or change my shirt or am otherwise topless, the way people look at me does change. Generally, curiosity is sparked. I've been asked about it so many times, I probably have the answer memorized without even knowing it. From some people it elicits sympathy, from some people it elicits a very mild (but always polite) revulsion, perhaps because it's a physical manifestation of our own mortality. For me, it's just another part of my body. It's no more or less interesting than a finger or a freckle.

Regarding your case, however, it seems your change is different. Your whole life you've had to deal with being unique in this way. You've probably come to accept it and have a healthy attitude about it, but now it's going to change. You will become less unique in this way. You won't have to compensate or be self-conscious or have that warning go off in your brain. I think what I'm saying is that maybe you should be thinking about what this means for you before you think of what it means for others. You can shout. You can sing. Your voice will fit seamlessly into conversations. You can express anger passionately. You can speak to people farther way. What voice will you have?
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Tank

Quote from: highway17 on September 21, 2011, 09:53:33 PM
My left vocal chord is completely paralyzed, leaving me with a raspy sounding voice. I can't yell, and I'm usually not confident when talking to people.

Next summer (summer of 2012) I plan on having this surgically repaired. This will change my voice drastically, for the better, however I'm worried it will change how people see me, or even how I see myself (personality, self esteem, etc.) Is this a valid concern?
I don't think it's a valid concern in itself. Your friends will still be your friends because it's what you say that matters not the sound of your voice. I have no doubt you'll get lots of shocked reactions, and laughter, when you start using your new voice simply because you'll be doing something unexpected. Make the most of it, and play up to the change, don't try and hide it, and people will get over the change in seconds. This could be an opportunity for a good laugh.

I can foresee one slight practical issue. If you currently have a relationship, personal or business, that has only ever been carried out over the phone I suggest you forewarn the person(s) concerned. If you don't you may get an adverse reaction. Imagine you regularly talk to one person at your bank. That person recognises your distinctive voice and suddenly they are called by a person who appears to be impersonating you. It could be difficult for the person to accept your change of voice if they have not been forewarned.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Will on September 22, 2011, 06:42:02 AM
I have a large scar from close to the middle of my back around my rib cage under my left arm to around where my peck is.

Do you ever make something up, shark while abalone diving, bank screen in failed bank job, barbed wire fence while down hill skiing?

OldGit

I can't see that you've anything to worry about.  Anyway, people will notice the voice change for a couple of days, then they'll get used to it and forget it.

highway17

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 22, 2011, 10:56:51 AM
Quote from: Will on September 22, 2011, 06:42:02 AM
I have a large scar from close to the middle of my back around my rib cage under my left arm to around where my peck is.

Do you ever make something up, shark while abalone diving, bank screen in failed bank job, barbed wire fence while down hill skiing?
Ha, I have one on the side of neck and I tell people I was attacked by a vampire when I was 4 1/2 years old.

Will

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 22, 2011, 10:56:51 AMDo you ever make something up, shark while abalone diving, bank screen in failed bank job, barbed wire fence while down hill skiing?
When I was younger I did, but it was less about humor and more about the fact I hadn't really come to terms with it yet. Because of that, I don't generally feel like joking about it.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.