News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

who here loves math?

Started by phillip1882, September 20, 2011, 01:08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on December 19, 2011, 12:54:50 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 19, 2011, 12:44:08 PM
I agree. It's the infinity thing :o
Yes. Where is a photo of O'Reilly when you need one?!

You eat a pi and it's doesn't get shorter! Can't explain that.

LOL!

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 19, 2011, 01:40:17 PM
Hey a bit of respect please, the double entry system is the foundation of modern society, and when the foundation is neglected the whole thing comes tumbling down.

QuoteA: Yes, I discovered that through its power of calculating changes in capital, double entry has not only shaped the way we've done business over the last 700 years but has spawned the language of the modern world and is arguably the progenitor of capitalism itself. By 'language of the modern world' I mean the language of Hindu-Arabic numbers denominated in money that governs the global economy. This language is made possible by double entry, through the accounts it generates for corporations and, since the Second World War, through the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) accounts it generates for nations. It gives rise to the cost-benefit calculations that rule our daily lives, from our governments, schools, universities, hospitals and entertainment, to the decisions made by corporations, for example, those made by Coles and Woolworths that govern the way we shop and eat. The language of double entry is now so ubiquitous we struggle to imagine it any other way.

Um, yes. Of course.

*whispers to Asmo*

I think he's in on it...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Siz

[ENGLISH_RANT]

The word is MATHS.

Both the Oxford and the Merriam-Webster dictionaries say the word 'Mathematics' is plural. The shortened form is, therefore "maths", because the word is still a plural noun and so should still have the "s" on the end. You do not say "Who likes Mathematic", do you?

[/ENGLISH_RANT]

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Scissorlegs on December 19, 2011, 04:23:16 PM
[ENGLISH_RANT]

The word is MATHS.

Both the Oxford and the Merriam-Webster dictionaries say the word 'Mathematics' is plural. The shortened form is, therefore "maths", because the word is still a plural noun and so should still have the "s" on the end. You do not say "Who likes Mathematic", do you?

[/ENGLISH_RANT]

It must drive you crazy when people say they have to go to "the ATM machine" and then input their "PIN number".  ;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Siz

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on December 20, 2011, 05:17:28 AM
Quote from: Scissorlegs link=topic=8303.msg141113#msg141113 date=1ji324311796
[ENGLISH_RANT]

The word is MATHS.

[/ENGLISH_RANT]

It must drive you crazy when people say they have to go to "the ATM machine" and then input their "PIN number".  ;D

True enough. And another (and let's leave there, their, and they're out of it for now) is 'could of' instead of 'could have'.

Anyway, (and that's not 'anyways' BTW) back to the mathS...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Light

hmm, I like math but I hardly ever pick up my math books just for the fun of it.  The thing I notice beneficial about math though, is that, well people might say something like "when am I ever going to use this" and so never get into it.  But, it's true that you may never do some complex algebra or calc or something in your day to day life, but I've found that I tend to think more logically at times now then before math.  So, it's just excercising that part of the mind, and you never know just where and when that may be helping....

unholy1971

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 19, 2011, 12:28:46 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on December 19, 2011, 10:22:25 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 19, 2011, 05:15:21 AM
Quote from: unholy1971 on September 25, 2011, 11:27:25 PM
I'm an Accountant so I love Math. ;D

Quote from: unholy1971 on December 19, 2011, 04:00:30 AM
I'm an Accountant, so yeah I love math.  ;D

I was going to say "dejà vú" but I'm guessing this is this a spot the differences puzzle. ;D

I smell a conspiracy.

If you notice how unholy1971 first capitalised the first letter of 'math', it obviously shows an accountant's agenda to deify maths, and make us all worship it (:o). He later realised his mistake and reposted a very similar message without capitalizing the first letter hoping to lure us in unawares.

LMAO  :)

Too funny.  Forgive a newbee.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Scissorlegs on December 20, 2011, 08:48:56 AM

True enough. And another (and let's leave there, their, and they're out of it for now) is 'could of' instead of 'could have'.

Ah, so I should do could 've then?

Siz

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 22, 2011, 03:18:19 AM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on December 20, 2011, 08:48:56 AM

Ah, so I should do could 've then?

Yes, but you should've omitted the space...