Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

This may sound wrong...

Started by Shy, September 17, 2011, 05:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Asmodean on September 20, 2011, 08:33:47 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 20, 2011, 08:29:28 AM
Seems to be a very straight forward procedure.
...Which in the world of medicine has been known to reverse itself, or so I've heard

I've checked all that.
All the failed cases were due to small gauge staples or weak pegs.
When the time comes I'll lend you my stuff and don't you worry, you won't be doing any reproducing.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on September 20, 2011, 08:17:44 AM
Quote from: Tank on September 20, 2011, 08:08:59 AM
I think I kill all 10, including myself, and let evolution have another go.
So if you were one and I was another of the ten, we could kill everyone else and then shoot each other, old war movie style  :D
Dang! I wouldn't kill you, we could kill the others and then moan about 'The old days.' till we died.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on September 20, 2011, 08:56:27 AM
Dang! I wouldn't kill you, we could kill the others and then moan about 'The old days.' till we died.
A perfect world, that would be.  8)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Shy on September 17, 2011, 05:32:09 AM
...but I see faith synonymous with terrorism. Don't know much about either, so may have the wrong wording, but the thought makes sense.

People are scared to go to hell, so they do what they are told to do by the church or bible. They are terrified of hell. Bringing fear to the masses aids in control and the need for leadership to control.
Guess I'm venting some things that have been on my mind.   

I think you're right as regards Christianity and Islam, both use the nasty carrot of heaven and stick of hell routine, which is definitely eschatological terrorism! But not all religions have or do taught such nasty rubbish. A lot of teach reincarnation, and some (like ancient Greek religion) teach that all the dead go to the same place (in this case Hades), be they good or bad.

Norfolk And Chance

There is obviously a link between terrorism and faith.

Nobody would blow themselves up without believing they're going to paradise. The default human position (and that of every other organism) is to try and avoid dying.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

Siz

Quote from: Stevil on September 19, 2011, 07:44:18 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on September 19, 2011, 02:01:39 PM
Well, I wouldn't mind it too terribly if christians blew themselves up (without hurting anyone. XP)

Anyway, some of them are kinda terrorists, but mostly cowards, hiding behind death threats and picket signs.  Either way, it's wrong, and I wish the lot of them would comit massive suicide. >___>

Let's say there was a virus that struck the earth. It killed everyone except 10 people. You were one of them. Everyone was atheists, well, almost everyone. There was a man and a woman that were devout Christians. You know that this group of 10 would be a new beginning for humanity. But with it is the disease of religion. What would you do? Would you try and eradicate this disease, or would you let humanity poison itself all over again?

It has been conjectured that there is an inate human propensity to develop religion independently of external influence. Well, it already happened didn't it?

So I've got no reason to think it wouldn't reignite again in any case.

But I might just sacrifice them anyway for their pelts...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Shy on September 17, 2011, 05:32:09 AM
People are scared to go to hell, so they do what they are told to do by the church or bible. They are terrified of hell. Bringing fear to the masses aids in control and the need for leadership to control.

I don't think that's quite the big stick it's represented as.  I remember going thru a Xtian childhood, just like most Americans, and never giving hell a second thought tho I got all the usual fire and brimstone sermons.  In fact, of everyone I grew up with, my brother was the only one I knew who was bothered by it and he was overly imaginative anyway.

Religion isn't a terrorist tool, it's just part of the cultural glue and some people prize it more highly than others and it makes them a little squirrelly.  It's your misfortune to live in an area where squirrelly is the norm.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany