News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

My Introduction, please be good to me :)

Started by LukevanVeith, September 15, 2011, 11:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: LukevanVeith on September 15, 2011, 11:47:59 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 15, 2011, 06:28:53 PM
Sorry, but I don't really understand...you lost your belief in his presence yet your mind still accepts his presence? ??? Could you elaborate further?

Anyways, to answer your second question, I would consider my life to be normal, with problems that I have to solve obviously, but not of the religious or anti-religious type.
In other words, I don't lost all of my belief yet (so I'm not 100% atheist). One of many reasons that make me still believe in the presence of God is miracle. There are a lot of healing (such as curing blind person, broken family make up), but, yet I still skeptical about it because I never seen one in my own eyes.
That's way I need enlightenment in my mind by you guys.

Ok, so it looks like you still believe that god could be the cause for somethings that happen in the universe and that this god intervenes in the universe.
For starters, you could ask yourself why you feel that god could be the cause of the things you call 'miracles' over some naturalistic explanation. One thing you have to keep in mind is that just because doctors sometimes can't explain how something happens, doesn't mean that something supernatural is the cause. That's the classic 'god of the gaps' argument, and honestly, it isn't a very good explanation for anything. 'God did it' is a non answer, unless it can actually be shown to be true, and differentiated from the natural world, otherwise you're taking a pantheistic approach, in which god is the laws of the universe and the universe itself. 

The day an amputee spontaneously grows their limb back, then I'll believe in the supernatural over a natural explanation. Why is god so selective in what sort of miracles he performs? Is it because he's not omnipotent?

Why do you feel that when broken families get together again, god is the cause? Is it because it seems very improbable to you?

And you're right to be skeptical of anecdotal evidence ;D For any purpose of gathering information or learning about a subject, it's extremely fallible. I don't know if the topic interests you, but the psychological aspect of belief is worth looking into.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

LukevanVeith

Quote from: Whitney on September 16, 2011, 12:45:39 AM
So, am I accepted in this forum?

We accept everyone...there are chrsitians, muslims, agnostics etc on here too
Thx admin Whitney  :D
There are chrsitians, muslims, agnostics too? What are they doing here?
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 16, 2011, 02:17:38 AM
One of many reasons that make me still believe in the presence of God is miracle. There are a lot of healing (such as curing blind person, broken family make up), but, yet I still skeptical about it because I never seen one in my own eyes.

I've seen things such as that, but I don't consider them miracles -- both those examples have very natural explanations, or (in the case of blindness spontaneously healing, for instance) the possibility of a natural explanation can't be dismissed.  I think sometimes when we're wavering between lifelong, indoctrinated beliefs and what our reason tells us, we can mistake awe for the wonder of nature or real mysteries that don't yet have an explanation for the presence of something supernatural.  At least, that was part of my confusion when I was much younger and struggling between what I'd been told and what made sense. 

Before I forget, welcome to the forum!  ;)
O yeah, I forgot... Natural explanations.
Thx BookCatsEtc :)
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 16, 2011, 03:01:16 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 15, 2011, 06:28:53 PM
Sorry, but I don't really understand...you lost your belief in his presence yet your mind still accepts his presence? ??? Could you elaborate further?

Anyways, to answer your second question, I would consider my life to be normal, with problems that I have to solve obviously, but not of the religious or anti-religious type.
In other words, I don't lost all of my belief yet (so I'm not 100% atheist). One of many reasons that make me still believe in the presence of God is miracle. There are a lot of healing (such as curing blind person, broken family make up), but, yet I still skeptical about it because I never seen one in my own eyes.
That's way I need enlightenment in my mind by you guys.

Ok, so it looks like you still believe that god could be the cause for somethings that happen in the universe and that this god intervenes in the universe.
For starters, you could ask yourself why you feel that god could be the cause of the things you call 'miracles' over some naturalistic explanation. One thing you have to keep in mind is that just because doctors sometimes can't explain how something happens, doesn't mean that something supernatural is the cause. That's the classic 'god of the gaps' argument, and honestly, it isn't a very good explanation for anything. 'God did it' is a non answer, unless it can actually be shown to be true, and differentiated from the natural world, otherwise you're taking a pantheistic approach, in which god is the laws of the universe and the universe itself. 

The day an amputee spontaneously grows their limb back, then I'll believe in the supernatural over a natural explanation. Why is god so selective in what sort of miracles he performs? Is it because he's not omnipotent?

Why do you feel that when broken families get together again, god is the cause? Is it because it seems very improbable to you?

And you're right to be skeptical of anecdotal evidence ;D For any purpose of gathering information or learning about a subject, it's extremely fallible. I don't know if the topic interests you, but the psychological aspect of belief is worth looking into.

In the other side, I don't believe it too, confusing eh? *that's me, I have more than one PoV
I like this: "Why is god so selective in what sort of miracles he performs?"
Yes, nothing impossible, and everything have its own causes.
Thx xSilverPhinx

Question

I know it sounds cryptic...I did not think a bio was the first thing out the door....Sometimes TMI is just that TOO MUCH INFORMATION.. :)..I had perused some of the entries and tried to adjust so as not to be overboard in my opening. Though I could be like the watchers off of Fringe, I still like to interact. Thank you for your welcome....

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Question on September 18, 2011, 04:12:11 PM
I know it sounds cryptic...

Yes it is rather, has it been posted in the wrong thread?

Whitney

Quote from: LukevanVeith on September 18, 2011, 03:47:11 PM

I can't easily explain why they are all here but those that are here to honestly debate tend to share in common that they appreciate that the forum is set up to encourage civil dialogue.  On occasion we do get a religious person slide through that is just here to tell us they are right and we are wrong.

kbush

welcome!
i think that soon you'll find your own answer to whether or not you believe in god. i don't think anyone can fully decide that for you.
but good luck! (:

Stevil

Have you ever heard about a person growing back a limb (an arm or a leg,, or even a toe or finger)
Miracles seem to be limited to the things that can be faked, but never the impossible.

Asmodean

Quote from: Stevil on September 20, 2011, 07:04:13 AM
Have you ever heard about a person growing back a limb (an arm or a leg,, or even a toe or finger)
...Without visiting Chernobyl, where I hear one can grow oneself an extra eye if one wants to. Always wanted to poke a three-eyed person in their third eye.  :-\
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Too Few Lions

welcome to the forum, and well done on questioning religion in a country where I imagine thet's not so easy. All of the questions in your first post are good reasons for not believing in a god. If there is a god, he's done a pretty poor job of things, and religion is one of his worst creations!

kbush

QuoteOh, I see... Thx for your information.

you are definitely accepted in the forum. it's for anyone- whether you know what you believe or are on the path to getting there. (:

Fixed quotes - Tank

Siz

It's funny how all of the things that science can't yet explain are jumped on by the religious as being Gods' work. And the more science is able to explain the fewer interventions are able to be ascribed to God. This is what Dawkins refers to as the 'God of the gaps', and these gaps are closing fast.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

LukevanVeith

I know it sounds cryptic...I did not think a bio was the first thing out the door....Sometimes TMI is just that TOO MUCH INFORMATION.. :)..I had perused some of the entries and tried to adjust so as not to be overboard in my opening. Though I could be like the watchers off of Fringe, I still like to interact. Thank you for your welcome....
Umm, this is my first time active in a forum, and it is a forum related to religion, so I didn't know what I have to do. Anyway, you're welcome :)
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 19, 2011, 04:04:24 AM
I know it sounds cryptic...

Yes it is rather, has it been posted in the wrong thread?
Pardon me?
Quote from: Whitney on September 19, 2011, 04:16:55 AM
Quote from: LukevanVeith on September 18, 2011, 03:47:11 PM

I can't easily explain why they are all here but those that are here to honestly debate tend to share in common that they appreciate that the forum is set up to encourage civil dialogue.  On occasion we do get a religious person slide through that is just here to tell us they are right and we are wrong.
So, anyone in here evolve from atheist to theist? I'm a just a bit tired listening and learning about religion...
But I do appreciate them, maybe because in my school, I'm a bit famous to Muslims extracurricular (even though I didn't join them).
Quote from: kbush on September 20, 2011, 03:56:19 AM
welcome!
i think that soon you'll find your own answer to whether or not you believe in god. i don't think anyone can fully decide that for you.
but good luck! (:
Thanks! I hope you too :)

Miracles seem to be limited to the things that can be faked, but never the impossible.
Not yet, but I believe it. What I can't believe is making things from nothing (really nothing, vacuum).
Quote from: Asmodean on September 20, 2011, 09:47:23 AM
...Without visiting Chernobyl, where I hear one can grow oneself an extra eye if one wants to. Always wanted to poke a three-eyed person in their third eye.  :-\
Sounds interesting...
Quote from: Too Few Lions on September 20, 2011, 01:57:37 PM
welcome to the forum, and well done on questioning religion in a country where I imagine thet's not so easy. All of the questions in your first post are good reasons for not believing in a god. If there is a god, he's done a pretty poor job of things, and religion is one of his worst creations!
Thanks, yeah, I think there are enough questions.
Yeah... One of his worst creation.
Quote from: kbush on September 21, 2011, 03:33:36 AM
QuoteOh, I see... Thx for your information.

you are definitely accepted in the forum. it's for anyone- whether you know what you believe or are on the path to getting there. (:

Fixed quotes - Tank
Quote from: Scissorlegs on September 21, 2011, 07:40:40 PM
It's funny how all of the things that science can't yet explain are jumped on by the religious as being Gods' work. And the more science is able to explain the fewer interventions are able to be ascribed to God. This is what Dawkins refers to as the 'God of the gaps', and these gaps are closing fast.
I agree. That is what science meant in the first place.

Uhm, I'm sorry for my slow reaction in this forum because there are some things to do.
YAY!!! 1 more post!!!

Tank

@ LukevanVeith

Just a thought. In future feel free to respond to each post in a new post, it's easier for you to do, it's easier for others to read and it's easier for somebody else to respond to. Gathering all your responses together in one post makes it difficult to respond to just one part of your post.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Too Few Lions

plus lots of individual replies quickly takes you past your ten post probationary period  ;)

Tank

Quote from: Too Few Lions on September 22, 2011, 10:33:04 AM
plus lots of individual replies quickly takes you past your ten post probationary period  ;)
That would be the other reason  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.