News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

The God helmet

Started by Free-Being, September 07, 2011, 06:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Free-Being

Dr. Michael Persinger, who is a neuroscientist, developed a theory of neurotheology during the 1980's which provided evidence that 'God' does not exist outside of our minds; even though people believe the 'God' created us all. To prove that 'God' does not exist outside of the mind, Dr. Persinger artificially simulates a religious experience by stimulating a small group of brain cells located on the right hemisphere of the brain in the Temporal Lobe by activating a magnetic coil. As the electromagnetic waves affect the temporal lobe, the participants report feelings of a presence, visual sensations, meaningfulness in life, fear, and even a sense of leaving the body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y02UlkYjSi0  ---Watch this video if you would like to seeeeeeeeeee

::) ??? ??? ??? ???

The Magic Pudding

I like the idea of the god helmet, I found this interesting, but there's some doubt as to whether it actually works.  Others have failed to independently repeat the process, Persinger says that's because their helmets are rubbish.

The Magic Pudding

Why two God Helmet threads, and what's with the poll?

Tank

One thread deleted and the one response to that thread merged here.

@Free-Being

Please don't start the same thread twice, it's confusing. Thanks
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

the area has also been refereed to the god spot or god module.  Religious people have taken it as proof that we were designed to communicate with god and our ability to stimulate the area doesn't disprove god.  There have been various studies kinda like this done on epileptics.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Whitney on September 07, 2011, 03:08:46 PM
the area has also been refereed to the god spot or god module.  Religious people have taken it as proof that we were designed to communicate with god and our ability to stimulate the area doesn't disprove god.  There have been various studies kinda like this done on epileptics.

Does Satan use the god spot too or is there a separate spot assigned for his use?
And they say the religious have no creativity, ha, they're full of it.

Crow

Quote from: Whitney on September 07, 2011, 03:08:46 PM

The research by Dr Andrew Newberg on the relationship between religion and the brain is really interesting and is one of the leading scientists in this area. I have only read one of his books which I wasn't a big fan of as I didn't enjoy the writing style but the research is fascinating therefore highly recommended reading.
Retired member.

Gawen

Ummmm....I voted "Why Really?"

*mutterin' as I find another thread*
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Asmodean

You know, you do not HAVE to make a poll. You can either make that or a regular topic. So the answer to your poll question is: "You do not."
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.