News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Tell us A Bit About Where You're From

Started by xSilverPhinx, September 05, 2011, 09:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Chronos on September 17, 2011, 01:11:47 AM
I have heard that the streets are unfriendly to pedestrians, and the two parallel streets in the photo often have pedestrian accidents. Is that still true?

Yes, you could say that Brasília was not designed for pedestrians. They tried to remedy this, or make it less worse, by introducing a law that says that cars must stop when there are pedestrians at zebra crossings. An attempt to look civilized, think, though obviously the fact that just painting a few strips on the floor is way cheaper than installing traffic lights cannot be understated. One consequence of this is that actually more pedestrians started dying. Must be because of the Southerners that migrated there ::)

And no, the two roads that are notorious for people being hit by cars are the two main roads that cross the city from the South Wing to the North. Those in the picture go from East to West, and are not part of a populated residential area, just governmental buildings, in which most people have cars.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Melmoth

Not a lot to say really. I'm from the West Country, just outside Bristol, on the coast of the Severn estuary. Everyone speaks like a farmer or a pirate. It's the native land of Blackbeard, the British slave trade, cider and English country yokelism. This is the street I live on:

I'm a few doors along. The road on the right goes down to the coast, which looks like this:

You can see the abandoned Battery Point lighthouse over in the distance there, which acted as a makeshift climbing frame when I was a kid. And here's my favourite pub, the Windmill:

It's in a field near to where I walk the dogs. These two were taken last winter. Battery Point again:

And the big hilly land mass over there is Wales:

"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

Chronos

Quote from: Xjeepguy on September 17, 2011, 05:06:48 AM
I grew up just over an hour from there.....

So how did one end up in Sissonville, of all places?

Religion is a pyramid scheme with 501c3 tax-free status.

Xjeepguy

Quote from: Chronos on September 17, 2011, 12:54:59 PM

Was born here in WV, my Dad moved us to Cecil County MD when I was young. I just recently moved back home to WV and a simpler life. I liked MD, and still love my Ravens and O's, I just missed the mountains.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Xjeepguy on September 17, 2011, 11:25:05 PM

Was born here in WV, my Dad moved us to Cecil County MD when I was young. I just recently moved back home to WV and a simpler life. I liked MD, and still love my Ravens and O's, I just missed the mountains.

I love mountains 8) Something that is unfortunatly lacking in Brazil.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 18, 2011, 12:41:48 AM

At least your continent has some.
But then earthquakes seem to be part of the package, I don't mind being without them.

Tank

Quote from: Xjeepguy on September 17, 2011, 11:25:05 PM

And you're in the biggest flat bit in the country too, which makes matters worse.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MariaEvri

Here I am too.
I am from Cyprus, which is the only country who s capital is half occupied. Or so we're tought!
I would post piccies, but must hurry
adios!
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 18, 2011, 03:31:51 AM

At least your continent has some.
But then earthquakes seem to be part of the package, I don't mind being without them.

In the Southern part, only in Chile, I think. The rest are hills. ;D

Our geology is very old, and we're not close enough to any tectonic border to expericence any such landmass adventures.

Quote from: MariaEvri on September 18, 2011, 01:05:30 PM
Here I am too.
I am from Cyprus, which is the only country who s capital is half occupied. Or so we're tought!
adios!

Cyprus, wow. I've met people from all over, but never one from there.  8)

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: MariaEvri on September 18, 2011, 01:05:30 PM
Here I am too.
adios!

I've heard it's beautiful. Please post pictures when you get a chance! :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

KingPhilip

Hey all! I'm from a small, small, town called Logan located in scenic West Virginia. Also known as the poorest/2nd unhappiest state in the US. However, Logan does have Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. So there's that. :)

The area around here is ungodly mountainous, so much so that if you were to flatten all the mountains in WV, it would cover all of the US and some of Canada. It's awesome for anyone that loves the outdoors.

A curious feature of Logan is that its hotels are spontaneously combusting. Of the three major hotels around the town, two have burned down in the last six months or so. Including this one, located conveniently about 400 feet from my house.

And that's Logan, not a lot to show as the whole of the town is about three streets. We recently moved, but I fly back enough that I still count it as my home. Not a bad little place I'd admit.
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~ Krishnamurti

Tank

Evidently somebody wants to kill the tourist trade!
Look very pictureskew.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Melmoth on September 17, 2011, 12:48:03 PM
Not a lot to say really. I'm from the West Country, just outside Bristol, on the coast of the Severn estuary. Everyone speaks like a farmer or a pirate. It's the native land of Blackbeard, the British slave trade, cider and English country yokelism. This is the street I live on:
hi Melmoth, I live in that fair city built on cider, tobacco, piracy and slavery! I live a ten minute walk away from Brunel's suspension bridge, which is by far the best thing in the city (IMHO)

although it's grey and / or rainy most of the time, so tends to look a bit more like this;

I struggle with the cold wet climate and am currently looking forward to selling my flat and doing some travelling around sunnier climes (ie anywhere else in Europe!) for a year or more, and will hopefully settle somewhere a little warmer and sunnier

Tank

I quite liked the SS Great Britain and the walk down the river beside it.

Too Few Lions

yeah, it's quite nice down by the waterfront, particularly on a summer's day. Gotta confess that I'm quite looking forward to not living in a city for a while though, the traffic in Bristol is horrendous and because most of it's Georgian / Victorian houses that have been turned into flats, parking's a nightmare. I do dream of a nice simple life out in the country!