News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Why God?

Started by Tank, September 04, 2011, 10:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on June 29, 2013, 11:04:40 AM
Quote from: Tank on June 28, 2013, 08:52:23 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 28, 2013, 05:19:20 PM
;D It's so cool that your article got published on another site.  8)  Are you going to link it in your "Why God?" thread?

(very mild organizational OCD talking)  :P

Go on. You do it.  ;D
I merged the threads.

Cool ;D Thanks ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Old Seer

Excellent, and very similar to our understanding. God = ignorance of force. When one weighs the total usage of the term "God", God is reduced to the "applications of Force". The term is derived then, from the ignorance of (for instance) what makes a tree fall. God = a term to describe something not (originally ) understood or unknown, but of course---a few millennium ago before science came to a study. The term over time then, becomes hidden and is applied to a personage that has powers misunderstood and cannot be true, typically, a use for leaders to keep followers following by attaching themselves to the false entity to maintain authority over the masses by deceit claiming they have authority from a higher power to lead because they are chosen to special specifications. Then---those leading become force and it's no longer a matter of gravity and a tree.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Lekatt

The concept of God fulfills the concept of man. Man thinks what am I doing here, is it all a joke. A few bits of stuff come together and behold "me." Is there no purpose to my life? What do I do with life. I could pile up sums of money for others to spend when I am gone. Gone where, into nothingness. No I can not stand to think of this so I will let God think for me.

"There are no guarantees.
From the viewpoint of fear, none are strong enough.
From the viewpoint of love, none are necessary."
                                                            Emmanuel

Sweetdeath

I enjoy thinking for myself. The 'everything happens for a reason' way of thinking is the most irritating of all.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Lekatt

I believe everyone thinks for themselves. Everyone chooses what he will believe and not believe.
As for cause and effect. Does every effect have a cause. If so then there is a reason. But if effects spontaneously happen then maybe not. The big bang was an explosion of chaos that ended in order.
How could we be here otherwise?
                                                            Emmanuel

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Lekatt on November 18, 2014, 04:55:45 PM
The concept of God fulfills the concept of man. Man thinks what am I doing here, is it all a joke. A few bits of stuff come together and behold "me." Is there no purpose to my life? What do I do with life. I could pile up sums of money for others to spend when I am gone. Gone where, into nothingness. No I can not stand to think of this so I will let God think for me.

I hear this a lot from Christians, but Bruno if there is no god, than what is the purpose to your life?

To experience it to the fullest extent I am capable of, to love those close to me as much as I can, and to squeeze as much life out my existence as I can.
I get up in the morning, I hug my son and wife, I work hard for those who employ me so as to make the lives of our families better. I have fun with my friends, and I wonder at the stars, and gasp at the beauty of the world.
I cry when someone I love dies, and try to comfort those who are sick, or in need of help when I can.
I try to live my life the best way I can, without malice, or anger, or ill-will toward anyone, and I hope that when I do pass away that I've somehow left the word in a tiny bit better shape than how I found it.

But to those who believe in God what is your purpose, what is your reason for life? To make life harder for those who don't believe as you do, or who are born differently from you?
Is it to pass laws forbidding people who love each other to marry?
Is it to yell disgusting things out your car window in the name of your god to my sister and her partner as we walk down the street because they happen to be holding hands?

Is it to amass huge fortunes of money over centuries like the Catholic Church?
Or like the huge mega churches here in the US and other parts of the world?

I wish there was something more, an after-life, but wishing for something doesn't make it true.

I would give my life right now, this very fucking moment if I could spend just one day with my father, my two children, and my wife.

Because he died too young, and didn't see me get married, or meet his grandchildren. And if I could just see them all together one time, to see the smile on their faces, and just see that twinkle in his eyes as he looks toward me and nods his approval, because they are wonderful and beautiful children, and my wife and I have been married almost 24 years, and I know how much he would have loved her, and how proud he would be of my kids, and of me.

Wanting this doesn't change anything, the fierce will of my desire ins't going to make it come true. And you know what? I'm okay with that, because just the thought of it is enough to help me deal with his death, and to feel the love I still have for him in my heart.

That's my fucking purpose.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Lekatt

Quote from: Bruno on November 18, 2014, 06:54:13 PM

I hear this a lot from Christians, but Bruno if there is no god, than what is the purpose to your life?

To experience it to the fullest extent I am capable of, to love those close to me as much as I can, and to squeeze as much life out my existence as I can.
I get up in the morning, I hug my son and wife, I work hard for those who employ me so as to make the lives of our families better. I have fun with my friends, and I wonder at the stars, and gasp at the beauty of the world.
I cry when someone I love dies, and try to comfort those who are sick, or in need of help when I can.
I try to live my life the best way I can, without malice, or anger, or ill-will toward anyone, and I hope that when I do pass away that I've somehow left the word in a tiny bit better shape than how I found it.

But to those who believe in God what is your purpose, what is your reason for life? To make life harder for those who don't believe as you do, or who are born differently from you?
Is it to yell disgusting things out your car window in the name of your god to my sister and her partner as we walk down the street because they happen to be holding hands?

I wish there was something more, an after-life, but wishing for something doesn't make it true.

I would give my life right now, this very fucking moment if I could spend just one day with my father, my two children, and my wife.

Because he died too young, and didn't see me get married, or meet his grandchildren. And if I could just see them all together one time, to see the smile on their faces, and just see that twinkle in his eyes as he looks toward me and nods his approval, because they are wonderful and beautiful children, and my wife and I have been married almost 24 years, and I know how much he would have loved her, and how proud he would be of my kids, and of me.

Wanting this doesn't change anything, the fierce will of my desire ins't going to make it come true. And you know what? I'm okay with that, because just the thought of it is enough to help me deal with his death, and to feel the love I still have for him in my heart.

First of all I am not a Christian, and have no desire to be one. I think what you wrote is absolutely beautiful and shows you are a great person with love in your heart. I would not change a word of it.

I also believe you will have your wish. No judgements, just complete acceptance, will be yours.
                                                            Emmanuel

Firebird

That was beautiful. Bravo.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

OldGit

Good post, Bruno.

I also get frustrated with the arguments beginning, "But if there's no god, then ..."

They're usually wrong (e.g. the 'no God, no morality' nonsense), but right or wrong, we have to deal with the proposed problem in some more practical way than by inventing a sky-daddy to fix it.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Lekatt on November 18, 2014, 09:54:52 PM

First of all I am not a Christian, and have no desire to be one. I think what you wrote is absolutely beautiful and shows you are a great person with love in your heart. I would not change a word of it.

I also believe you will have your wish. No judgements, just complete acceptance, will be yours.

Although I quoted you originally in my post, I really didn't mean to direct that towards you Lekatt, I was actually focused in on the "no purpose in life" you had written and not your entire post.

I also didn't mean to refer to you as a christian either, probably should have wrote believers instead, but it has been christians in the past who have flung that statement at me and they are really who I was responding to when I wrote my response.

Thank you for the kind words (Same to Firebird and OldGit) I appreciate it. However, I don't share your view that my wish will come true, but thanks anyway.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Lekatt

Bruno
I am not offended by anything you said. I don't have many beliefs about this world. Only what I have experienced I believe in. I know that beliefs can destroy people and I have spent the last 20 years of my life helping others "get over" bad beliefs. I have stopped quite a few suicides from those who felt life was over for them. I know this is not you. One of the worst beliefs is that something bad will happen at death. It was disappointing when I was in Hospice work to not see the family visiting. Many times I was the only one there. The fear of death is second in the list of things people fear the most.
                                                            Emmanuel

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Lekatt on November 18, 2014, 06:25:32 PM
I believe everyone thinks for themselves. Everyone chooses what he will believe and not believe

Not if they get you young enough
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Tank

Quote from: Essie Mae on October 08, 2016, 02:59:05 PM
I believe everyone thinks for themselves. Everyone chooses what he will believe and not believe

So true.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on October 08, 2016, 08:26:42 PM
Quote from: Essie Mae on October 08, 2016, 02:59:05 PM

So true.

I can't agree with this.  I was churched from day one and it still didn't take, despite my own best efforts to co-operate.  I think we tend to under-estimate the number of people who would have chosen religion anyway, even if they hadn't been raised in one, and are simply comfortable with what they know.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany