News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Violent Video Games Alter Brain Function in Young Men

Started by Tank, December 02, 2011, 02:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Violent Video Games Alter Brain Function in Young Men

QuoteScienceDaily (Nov. 30, 2011) — Sustained changes in the region of the brain associated with cognitive function and emotional control were found in young adult men after one week of playing violent video games, according to study results presented by Indiana University School of Medicine researchers at the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America...

Interesting stuff, but on a very small sample.

However the research sponsor is hardly neutral Center for Successful Parenting.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xm1

I think in future versions of games like modern warfare and brink you should have a balance objective in between the violence.

Like petting a virtual kitten and maintaining a purr for 30 seconds before you can go back to the match.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: xm1 on December 02, 2011, 03:00:33 PM
Like petting a virtual kitten and maintaining a purr for 30 seconds before you can go back to the match.

LOL!

I don't really buy these sorts of studies. Violence numbs, sure...but to confuse video game beings with real beings is another thing altogether. ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Siz

What this article doesn't mention is whether there was a 'control' in this study with regard to non-violent gaming. I would have liked to have seen a control group who played a non-violent game for the same period. I wonder if the 'violence' aspect is a red-herring here and it is the actual playing of ANY game for sustained periods that is the issue.  The study (or at least the reportage of it) was therefore inconclusive on the particular subject of violence.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Scissorlegs on December 02, 2011, 09:36:53 PM
What this article doesn't mention is whether there was a 'control' in this study with regard to non-violent gaming. I would have liked to have seen a control group who played a non-violent game for the same period. I wonder if the 'violence' aspect is a red-herring here and it is the actual playing of ANY game for sustained periods that is the issue.  The study (or at least the reportage of it) was therefore inconclusive on the particular subject of violence.

Good point, I also wonder.

Anecdotally, some of the coolest and most well adjusted people I know play appallingly violent games and have since young adulthood. If you were already prone to violent behaviour, I don't think they'd help, but I'm also skeptical about the degree to which they could "cause" a prolonged personality change. 
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on December 03, 2011, 12:00:12 AM
Anecdotally, some of the coolest and most well adjusted people I know play appallingly violent games and have since young adulthood. If you were already prone to violent behaviour, I don't think they'd help, but I'm also skeptical about the degree to which they could "cause" a prolonged personality change. 
I may be a limited sample, but I sort of am prone to violent behaviour since my fight or flight reflex is pretty much... Well, a fight reflex.

I am also prone to playing violent video games, watching violent movies and slaughtering farm animals. However, none of those things make me more aggressive nor do they make me more capable of violence. What does decide my response is the ease with which I can get away with doing what I feel like doing, which usually means that I ignore the provocations in order to keep the society happy and me out of jail.

It's called self-control. Now, is there a relation between THAT and video games, I wonder..?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Siz

Quote from: Asmodean on December 03, 2011, 01:12:20 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on December 03, 2011, 12:00:12 AM
I may be a limited sample, but I sort of am prone to violent behaviour since my fight or flight reflex is pretty much... Well, a fight reflex.

I am also prone to playing violent video games, watching violent movies and slaughtering farm animals. However, none of those things make me more aggressive nor do they make me more capable of violence. What does decide my response is the ease with which I can get away with doing what I feel like doing, which usually means that I ignore the provocations in order to keep the society happy and me out of jail.

It's called self-control. Now, is there a relation between THAT and video games, I wonder..?

I wonder, Asmo, if you can't see the wood for the trees.
How can you be so sure your propensity for fight over flight isn't exacerbated by your violent gaming and films. The fact that you display self-control is beside the point. A calmer, less aggressive demeanour would obviate self-control and the evident battle within.

[smiley devils-advocate smiley]

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Crow

To counter balance some of the negative findings on video games (which there is plenty of evidence for) there have been many studies that have found beneficial to the consumers of the media.

Video games are good for girls -  if parents play along
Violent video games help children manage stress
Action Video Games Improve Vision
How video games are good for the brain

I love video games but I am not particularly a fan of the reliance on virtual violence that many games feature, though it is necessary for some games. I  think many games would benefit with the removal of the virtual violence with such games as portal 1&2 being brilliant examples of this, for many games I see the inclusion of violence as a uncreative go to mechanic for padding out a game whereas they may work better with an original gameplay mechanic. A game such as Fallout 3 would have benefited with a removal of the combat mechanics as they were awful and got in the way of what made the game fantastic, either make it add something to the experience of the game or leave it out. With the AAA games costing as much if not more than hollywood blockbusters and making profits far exceeding any other entertainment industry when successful I don't see any of this happening anytime soon.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Quote from: Scissorlegs on December 03, 2011, 08:56:29 AM
I wonder, Asmo, if you can't see the wood for the trees.
Always a possibility, so let's have a closer look, shall we?

QuoteHow can you be so sure your propensity for fight over flight isn't exacerbated by your violent gaming and films.
Because I started playing violent video games at about the age of sixteen. I was pretty much solely into strategy and RPGs before that and before that, I played console games which mostly involved racing. There was also Final Fantasy VII, but the level of violence in it is rather pathetic when judged by today's standards.

The number of violent video games I play per year has increased since, yet my proneness to violence has decreased by a noticeable degree. I see no corelation between the two.

QuoteThe fact that you display self-control is beside the point.
Is it? For those with a violent streak, a high degree of self-control is a good moderator, if you ask me.

QuoteA calmer, less aggressive demeanour would obviate self-control and the evident battle within.
Oh, my demeanor is generally calm and inaggressive - that is yet another "another story". I am discussing my proneness to and capability of violence here, not my outward display of bad temper.

To illustrate with a small "out there" example: I can appear, and actually BE, as calm as an indoor pond while slicing someone's ears off. It's not an anger management issue, this.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Quote from: Asmodean on December 03, 2011, 06:20:41 PM
To illustrate with a small "out there" example: I can appear, and actually BE, as calm as an indoor pond while slicing someone's ears off. It's not an anger management issue, this.

For some reason 'Stealers Wheel - Stuck in the middle with you' started playing in my head when I read that.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Quote from: Crow on December 03, 2011, 06:29:00 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on December 03, 2011, 06:20:41 PM

For some reason 'Stealers Wheel - Stuck in the middle with you' started playing in my head when I read that.

Because it is epically well-suited to slicing off ears?  ;D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Just had another thought: if this study shows that people undergo emotional numbing as a result of violent video games, then for some that might even be a good thing and desirable ;D Emotionally based decisions for some situations can be the worst kind IMO...I'm grateful that my hate for some people didn't cause me to act emotionally.

Hmm...video games are good ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xm1

Quote from: Crow on December 03, 2011, 02:41:50 PM
A game such as Fallout 3 would have benefited with a removal of the combat mechanics as they were awful and got in the way of what made the game fantastic, either make it add something to the experience of the game or leave it out.
This is why I like fallout and tes so much.  You can mod it up and just rp in the world for hours without doing any of the combat or objectives.  I don't mind the combat part, but I need a lot more going on then just violence to keep my attention.

Personally I hope they do a study on the effect of hentai and eros games next. Want to know what parts of my brain I may have wrecked.