News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Star Trek

Started by Tank, August 26, 2011, 03:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medusa

I probably watch an episode of Star Trek daily. They play TNG one nightly way late at night. Plus they have the different versions of the tv series on Netflix.

I love love love Mr Spok. I mean he was THE original goth kid with those skinny black pants and hot boots! I also loved Data and the relationship he had with Tasha. I really missed her.

I wish I guess they had given Captain Picard a long lasting love interest.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Sweetdeath

Quote from: hismikeness on August 26, 2011, 11:16:54 PM
So I have this buddy that looks like a Star Trek character. Big ears, pronounced forehead and eye bone, pointy teeth. Someone pointed it out once and that's all I see when I see him is the guy from Star Trek...

Which one is that?

Curses, you beat me to it.  XD   It is the  Ferengi .  ugly bastards. I encounter them a lot in my rp comm as Lt. Ro Laren.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Whitney on August 27, 2011, 03:21:52 AM
Being a fan of Reading Rainbow is how I got into enjoying Star Trek.  LaeVar Burton was my hero when I was little and Reading Rainbow did a Star Trek episode because of him.

Yes, I was a big Reading Rainbow™ fan myself!  He  is so great as Geordi.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

McQ

Quote from: Gawen on August 27, 2011, 02:40:41 AM
It's funny how many of them were not so cheesy when they first came out.

Anyone remember...
Geordie and the Paclids???
Doctor Pulaski?
Lieutenant Reginald Endicott "Broccoli" Barclay III?
Wesley saving the ship every other episode?
Riker and Troi?
Worf and Troi? (BTW, She's so much more beautiful in person than on the show)
Worf and Alexander?
Tasha and Data?

ST:TNG Does look cheesy to me now when I catch the odd episode on occasion. Something about the way it was filmed gives it a "low rent" look, even with fancier sets than TOS had. I guess things just look better on film.

I so remember everything on your list. I really like Barclay's episodes, especially "The Nth Degree".

Dr. Pulaski was a totally needless character who should have never been put in the show (I know why the producers did it, but it's lame).

Every time I hear Marina Sirtis speak, I think, "Why does she sound so strange?" because I'm always expecting to hear her "Troi" voice! Lol

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Sweetdeath

I love Broccoli xD

Marina Sitris is so pretty!  I had a mega crush on her when I first got into TNG.

Gawen

Quote from: McQ

Do not like anything about DS9.
That show makes me wonder how long it lasted. The premise was good, but without really going anywhere, it turned into a soap. This show was my least favourite and least remembered; I'm now looking it up. I couldn't even remember the Ferengi's name...Quark. I think I got 2 seasons into it and the left. It was interesting to see Nana Visitor play a small role in Battlestar Galactica.

QuoteHated Janeway from Voyager but lusted after Seven of Nine.
Same here. I don't know how many times we saw Janeway weep in the first season, which really was the reason I turned away from the show. And I got really tired of 7of9 wearing the same clothes and such beauty with no emotion. Tuvok and a holographic doctor was lame. I gave this one about 3 seasons and gave it up.

QuoteNever watched more than one or two of Enterprise episodes.
This is the show that had such promise. But it never really took off. And I quit watching when I saw Nazi tanks sitting outside the White House.

QuoteBuilt scale models of every version of Enterprise (including C, which I particularly like). Most have lights, or had lights. Also built scale models of other ships from movies and series.
Same here. I tried to bash an A type to make Reliant before Reliant models came out. Well, I bashed it all right! The A types are my fav.

I think my least favourite parts of Trek is the convenience and overuse of time travel.

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Tank

[rant]
The thing that really, really, fucking really pissed me off about Voyager was this. One gets stuck 75 years from home, one has no idea if one will find a short cut. What is the first thing one should do? One starts cross training one's whole crew. One has no idea whatsoever who will be killed in the next 75 years although one can bet somebody will be. The ship would also need a three shift system to function as there is no night-time in space. So the series missed a huge plot hole that would have given a great potential for crew interactions. And they could have killed off major characters after a while as there would be a person trained to take their place. They never really dealt with the details of a generational ship either. And 'Chuckles', what a lame arsehole; he was supposed to be a resistance fighter FFS!!

And bloody Janeway 'I'll do anything to get this crew home!' all Q wanted to do was shag her FFS, but would she 'take one for the crew!"' would she fuck? No she fucking wouldn't! It's not like she was a bloody virgin either. 
[/rant]
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Gawen on August 27, 2011, 01:59:52 PM
I think my least favourite parts of Trek is the convenience and overuse of time travel.

I agree with this sentiment.
If you fail to change something through time travel why not keep trying until you succeed?

I enjoyed Next Gen and All subsequent series at the time, maybe futuristic film dates fast.

This one's for Tank

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on August 27, 2011, 03:39:34 PM
This one's for Tank

Thanks I needed that.

Even at its worst Star Trek was better TV than most of the other output around. Despite the niggles I do like Star Trek and TOS was a formative TV programme of my youth. SiFi should stretch the mind and on a good day Star Trek did exactly that!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sweetdeath

Lol@Tank. *makes you tea*

Yeah, Voyager was pretty terrible.  I'm biased with Next Gen though, because I felt that series had the crew with the best characters and chemistry.   

Troi is sexy~  <3

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 27, 2011, 04:20:01 PM
Lol@Tank. *makes you tea*

Yeah, Voyager was pretty terrible.  I'm biased with Next Gen though, because I felt that series had the crew with the best characters and chemistry.  

Troi is sexy~  <3
Troi did a couple of very soft core movies in her youth and one where she was a witch, I'll leave you to Google for that if you like  ;D

Oh, and Nichelle Nichols also got her kit off before she was famous.

Sweetdeath

Oh, I already googled some of those >D *perv*

Oooh, nice!  The orginal Uhura was so pretty. I do love of the original ST eps, mainly cuz of Spock and Sulu.

Gawen

Quote from: Tank on August 27, 2011, 02:59:03 PM
[rant]<big ole snip>
[/rant]

And laffin my ass off!!!

That was class Tank!
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Tristan Jay

I love the adventurous spirit of the original show, and there's so much sword play in it that if you watch enough episodes with sword fighting back to back you might easily conclude that the show is a "sword and planet" genre show, rather than science fiction.  I grew up with TNG.  I didn't follow DS9 after a certain point, and jumped ship on Voyager even earlier (I came back to watch the Borg episode, and to see Seven occasionally).  When Enterprise was coming, I thought to myself, "Okay guys, go watch as many Space Program movies as you can, The Right Stuff, Apollo 13, ect.  Think 'space cowboys.'"  It was only at the end of Enterprise's second year that they picked up on that, and I saw the episode I had been waiting for, long overdue.  Definitely didn't hold back on the "new" technology, they just kept using it like in the other show.  Not retro enough.  The new movie and it's continuity has a lot of promise.

Tank, you called it on Voyager, there were issues there.  This is the kind of thing that made the newer Battlestar Galactica leap at my throat from the TV.  The writing team partly came from the ST writing team, and there are episodes and story threads that echo ST episodes taken to the next level.  BG did it's own version of the paranoid military trials of "The Drumhead" from TNG, and then they laid down the law and declared, "Expect the unexpected."  Plenty of people are killed, and new characters are introduced, regularly in an organic storytelling fashion.  The ship's hull get's blackened during a major battle halfway through the show, and it looks charred for the rest of the show!  It's like the writers took their pent up creative energies and opened up on everything they had to hold back on with their ST work.

I still love ST, just as it is.  Great stuff.

Sweetdeath

So many star trek fans on HAF. I'm so happy~   ;D