News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

How old is the Earth?

Started by Tank, August 19, 2011, 07:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 07, 2011, 10:54:20 PM
Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 07, 2011, 09:00:44 PM
The thing is, man has only been around c 2million years and homo sapiens c50,000 years.

If god created the Earth 4.54 billion years ago, he's took 4.52 billion years to create humans and come up with his stupid sin shit, and make the rule that his own son has to die to fix it etc etc. I mean really? It never ceases to amaze me how many people are cool with the timescales/ vastness of the universe and still think godditit.

But time means nothing to God, as he is outside of it (I'm speaking of my concept of God).  If God is eternal and timeless, then everything he does would be "now" to him, and he wouldn't take 4.54 billion years to create humans and come up with his stupid sin shit (I'm speaking of your concept of God now).  You know - a day to the Lord is a thousand years, etc.

That all sounds like "Santa can get down 2 billion chimneys in 24 hours because he is magic or timeless, eternal, or sizeless" - in other words make something up to get around the obvious problem.

You can solve ANY problem by making up an answer and attributing magical powers.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

Jose AR

How old is the earth? Really!?
Radiometric dating is hard to understand! Dawkins does it in less than 10 easy to read pages (the greatest show on earth). We absolutely cannot grant that radio isotope dating is hard to understand. Read 10 pages and try to understand it! If you can't try again the next day! It is not hard to understand! Its not quantum physics, or even rocket science. I assume that if one is an atheist they prefer evidence over authority. Well, isotope dating is powerful evidence.

By granting that it is difficult to understand we lower the level of the debate. Remember, we traded the awe of god's mysteries for the awe of nature's wonders. Isotopes are part of nature's wonders, so go and spend just a few minutes of study and LEARN it. Force the noggen to take in the info, it will be good for you. But do not grant that it is difficult to understand.

As for the the age of the earth, really!? If someone is unwilling to accept the current evidence for the approximate age of the earth, then they are wrong! Not because science is always right, but because science works progressively to better answers and the current 4billion is our best bet yet! If someone insists on 6,000 years they are wrong! We don't have to prove that science is right, only that science is close. The discomfort brought on by knowing that science is often wrong and has often changed fundamental world views is its strength. But this discomfort is anathema to the religious mind that seeks comfort in certitude.

The age of the earth! Really?

Jose AR