News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

How old is the Earth?

Started by Tank, August 19, 2011, 07:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medusa

The Earth is lying.
Don't believe that bitch.
It's all her botox treatments!
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Gawen

As is usual, the atheists have at least some sort of evidence to back up their claims.

As is usual, the theist has wishful thinking, a total lack to become unbiased to back up their claims and a willingness to suspend critical thinking skills to maintain the bias pertaining to their worldview.

Under these conditions, I'm with Whitney; discussion is pointless. But there is one exception.

Lurkers.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Davin

Quote from: Gawen on August 28, 2011, 12:14:22 AM
As is usual, the atheists have at least some sort of evidence to back up their claims.

As is usual, the theist has wishful thinking, a total lack to become unbiased to back up their claims and a willingness to suspend critical thinking skills to maintain the bias pertaining to their worldview.

Under these conditions, I'm with Whitney; discussion is pointless. But there is one exception.

Lurkers.
I'd also say that practice is another exception.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Stevil

No-one has answered my question about how old the universe is if the earth is 5,000 years old.

If the bible describes all of creation happening in just 6 days then wouldn't the universe be the same age as the earth?
If the universe is 5,000 years old then we would only be able to see celestial objects that are no more than 5,000 light years away. Slowly further away object will simply pop into existence for us as their light finally reaches us.
Why isn't this the case? Why can Hubble see other galaxies which are way more than 5,000 light years away?

Davin

Quote from: Stevil on August 29, 2011, 08:18:19 PM
No-one has answered my question about how old the universe is if the earth is 5,000 years old.

If the bible describes all of creation happening in just 6 days then wouldn't the universe be the same age as the earth?
If the universe is 5,000 years old then we would only be able to see celestial objects that are no more than 5,000 light years away. Slowly further away object will simply pop into existence for us as their light finally reaches us.
Why isn't this the case? Why can Hubble see other galaxies which are way more than 5,000 light years away?
How do you know that light always moved at the same speed throughout the history of the universe. Also, god could have created the light in transit so that we'd have pretty things to look at. Creating light in transit is a better way than making a giant spherical TV screen like thing around the Earth.

You don't know god! He's all mysterious!
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: Davin on August 29, 2011, 09:02:17 PM

How do you know that light always moved at the same speed throughout the history of the universe. Also, god could have created the light in transit so that we'd have pretty things to look at. Creating light in transit is a better way than making a giant spherical TV screen like thing around the Earth.

You don't know god! He's all mysterious!
Quite. As God can do anything He can be as dishonest as he likes, who's going to tell him off?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Too Few Lions

Logically, creationists should believe the cosmos is as old as the Earth, so maybe the devil put those galaxies in the heavens, just like he puts the fossils in the ground. Personally I can't see why (YE) creationists should get any more time or credence than flat-earthers or geocentrists. They're all people who choose to try and explain the universe by literally interpreting myths that are around 2500 years old rather than objectively looking at the world around them and trying to understand it scientifically.

McQ

Yes, the cosmos is the same age as the Earth, according to YEC. First line of the bible states they were both created on the first day. Same age.

They explain away the thing about being able to see farther away than 5000 light years with lots of different explanations (since they don't all agree on which one best accounts for it). One is that it was simply made to look old. 

That's it. No more complicated than that. Aren't you glad you don't have to worry about all that pesky science and astronomy stuff now?

:D
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

B36

Have you anything else to add?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

ScienceShot: A Crystal a Million Years in the Making

QuoteFirst discovered about a decade ago, the largest known cave crystals—single hunks of gypsum as much as 11 meters long, 1 meter thick, and weighing 55 tons—could have taken up to 1 million years to grow, a new study suggests...

Poor deluded scientists, don't they know facts don't count when balanced against faith. :-[

Gawen

Quote from: Tank

Poor deluded scientists, don't they know facts don't count when balanced against faith. :-[
Yeah!

I'm a Last Thursdayist.

The Cosmos was created last Thursday.

Every last Thursday.

Stupid scientist.

Don't know nothin'.

*chucklin*
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gawen on September 16, 2011, 12:48:42 PM
Quote from: Tank

Yeah!

I'm a Last Thursdayist.

The Cosmos was created last Thursday.

Every last Thursday.

Stupid scientist.

Don't know nothin'.

*chucklin*

I dislike Last Thursdayists...next thing you know they're telling you that you're the one who has to prove them wrong. ::)

(For the record, I don't hate Thursdays)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Too Few Lions

yeah, I've never bought any of those last Thursdayist apples either, their claims are all based on superstitious waffle and outdated mythology (by one whole day at the moment!)

plus everyone knows the cosmos was created on a Friday, it stands to reason!

Gawen

Quote from: xSilverPhinx

I dislike Last Thursdayists...next thing you know they're telling you that you're the one who has to prove them wrong. ::)

SillyPhinx. I dislike those that dislike Last Thursdayism...not because they KNOW I'm right but because they have been deceived by scientific gobbledegook as spouted by the likes of Dawkins...*winkin atcha with a grin*

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Too Few Lions on September 16, 2011, 07:12:44 PM
yeah, I've never bought any of those last Thursdayist apples either, their claims are all based on superstitious waffle and outdated mythology (by one whole day at the moment!)

plus everyone knows the cosmos was created on a Friday, it stands to reason!

I was born on a Friday, so that's reason enough for me ;D

[/quote]
Quote from: Gawen on September 17, 2011, 01:49:28 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx

SillyPhinx. I dislike those that dislike Last Thursdayism...not because they KNOW I'm right but because they have been deceived by scientific gobbledegook as spouted by the likes of Dawkins...*winkin atcha with a grin*

Blasphemy, Gawen. Blasphemy. You can expect to have an inquisitor knock on your door on Friday.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey