News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Video Picks

Started by AnimatedDirt, August 08, 2011, 08:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

I do a fair bit of viewing movies/documentaries/etc. on Netflix.  I have "found" a few that were really good entertainment and I learned something in the process.

Maybe we can use this thread to suggest some good videos to keep an eye out for and watch the next time we have a chance and possibly even comment on.

Two of my recent favorites are available on Netflix "Watch Now" list.

"Wasteland" - about a Brazillian artist that decides to go back to Brazil and use his talent and name to "give back" to his community/people.

"Chavez Ravine" - about the Los Angeles housing authority (? I forget the exact name atm.) using Eminent Domain to take the homes in a small community of mostly Hispanics in Los Angeles where eventually Dodger Stadium is built later.  The event itself may be widely known, but the pictures of life in that community may not be.  It warmed my heart AND angered me to some degree at the same time.  The music that was spawned as a result is pretty cool too, IMHO.

xSilverPhinx

I'm  viewing the entire James Burke - Connections documentary series. It's a bit old, but good so far.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 09, 2011, 03:45:22 PM
I'm  viewing the entire James Burke - Connections documentary series. It's a bit old, but good so far.
That's a blast from the past! I watched them first time around on the TV.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on August 09, 2011, 04:36:57 PM
That's a blast from the past! I watched them first time around on the TV.

They're surprisingly good, I like the connections he makes, or rather shows the back story and context for certain things that we have today.

AnimatedDirt

Sounds interesting.  Is it available on Netflix?  (I don't have access atm to check)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on August 09, 2011, 09:31:11 PM
I'm  viewing the entire James Burke - Connections documentary series. It's a bit old, but good so far.

Sounds interesting.  Is it available on Netflix?  (I don't have access atm to check)

Unfortunately I can't access Netflix from here (it's not available yet in Brazil) but a google search turned up a few results. I think so.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 09, 2011, 09:59:32 PM
Unfortunately I can't access Netflix from here [...]

I was able to check.  It is available, but only on DVD...not available to Watch Instantly.  ;(  I don't have the patience to order and wait for DVD's.  I only use the Watch Instantly feature.

Whitney

I never saw Stargate SG-1 when it was on air so I've been watching it via instant Netflix  I'm just past show 150 and I think there are still at least 40 more; that show was on for a long time.

Tank

Quote from: Whitney on August 10, 2011, 01:54:17 AM
I never saw Stargate SG-1 when it was on air so I've been watching it via instant Netflix  I'm just past show 150 and I think there are still at least 40 more; that show was on for a long time.
Yes and it was a damn good show to.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on August 10, 2011, 08:27:56 AM
Yes and it was a damn good show to.

It's strange how ineffective Goa'uld weaponry is.  OK staff weapons are mostly for show but surely the gliders should be able to do better, people are always running away from them.  I'm up to series 8 disk 4.  Two disks, two series and two features to go, it's taken a few years to get this far.  I'm not looking forward to the religious weirdo series.  

Rango, Johnny Depp voices a chameleon in an animated western, it's good, not as good as the latest toy story though.

Season of the Witch with Nicholas Cage was crap.  Nicholas is a ye oldy days crusader who after a long career of killing for god decides he should be a little more discerning in who he stabs.  Nich takes on the job of transporting a witch to Christian justice.  I'd do a spoiler alert but I don't think this can be spoilt much more.  The demon I was barracking for gets killed, but there is some solace as Nich and his mate do as well.

I liked The Tourist with Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp.

The Next Three days with Russel Crow was good, he may or may not be a jerk but his movies usually seem good or very good to me.  Body of Lies, Heavens Burning, and The Insider were all good.

Unknown with Liam Neeson is a kind of actiony thriller thing, it's not overly actiony and your finger nails will be safe, but it's OK.

Tank

'As good as it gets' with Jack Nicolson as an author with OCD is my favourite film. It's very wordy, the script must have been 10ft thick and it's brilliant; not a wasted word or character.

'Being There', the last film of Peter Sellers, is also brilliant, a masterpiece of observation of how people interrelate and see what they expect to see and what they want to see not necessarily what is there.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Tank on August 10, 2011, 10:44:30 AM
'As good as it gets' with Jack Nicolson as an author with OCD is my favourite film. It's very wordy, the script must have been 10ft thick and it's brilliant; not a wasted word or character.

Hilarious movie!  I've watched it at least half a dozen times.

Tank

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on August 10, 2011, 07:07:53 PM
Quote from: Tank on August 10, 2011, 10:44:30 AM

Hilarious movie!  I've watched it at least half a dozen times.
'Say something nice to me!'
'You make me want to take my medication.'
:D

Crow

I'm not in the US so don't know if any of these are on Netflix but check out.

Whatever Works
Layer Cake
City of God
Sympathy For Mr Vengeance - this is a very sad, brutal and bleak film but I think its superb.
Black Swan
I Am Love
Up
Four Lions
Retired member.

The Magic Pudding

I just watched True Grit, the remake of the old western, I liked it. 
I don't know if the dialogue was authentic oldy style but it sounded cool.

Hailee Steinfeld does an excellent job as the fourteen year old girl whose father has been murdered.  She doesn't get any billing on the poster though.