News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Why do atheists seem to dislike Christians?

Started by Whitney, August 05, 2011, 03:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Christianity also tend to have a large drive to evangalise which is incredibly annoying.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Stevil on August 06, 2011, 08:03:59 PM
Christianity also tend to have a large drive to evangalise which is incredibly annoying.

Not to mention try to dictate how non Christians should live.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 07, 2011, 12:24:07 AM

And walk about so willfully ignorant, acting like their god is so powerful and amazing, and rules the world.

Anyone else hate when they say "even atheists ll be judged?" 
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 07, 2011, 02:05:34 AM

And walk about so willfully ignorant, acting like their god is so powerful and amazing, and rules the world.

By whom? Theists here on earth? ;)

I say theists will be judged by His Holy Nooddliness. Those who He blesses by washing their hair with Holy Sauce will make their way into the great Maggi factory in the sky while the rest will have to be content with plain, overcooked and under nutritious white rice.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 07, 2011, 02:09:36 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 07, 2011, 02:05:34 AM

By whom? Theists here on earth? ;)

I say theists will be judged by His Holy Nooddliness. Those who He blesses by washing their hair with Holy Sauce will make their way into the great Maggi factory in the sky while the rest will have to be content with plain, overcooked and under nutritious white rice.

Rofl, I love you xD that's hilarious.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Hidelight

I do not dislike Christians...

I hate the pity they emit when you actually are asked "What church do you go to?"

And you answer truthfully

One sentence
"i do not go to church my people are atheist"

I know right now my colleague is trying to silently exorcise me!

It completely freaks her out I live without dogma

The exorcism is funny...the true pity for my destiny.. pisses my off

Rick Perry is a GREAT example of why I could be pressed into admission I dislike Christian behaviors!

How awful that just was!

Medusa

I am a long standing member on a Pagan forum. And they are indeed a lot more relaxed with other religions coming in to the fold so to speak. I think this is because Paganism on a whole tends to be polytheistic. So they are already well versed in how to interact with other gods and believers. While monotheists really don't like having their tree shaken too hard with the other gods concept. Thankfully as a Satanist, I am a misanthrope. An equal importunity hater.  :D
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

OldGit

I don't dislike every follower of any religion.  I have many friends here in our village who are regular churchgoers and, mostly, strongly christian.  We work together all the time on village events and organisations.  They don't obviously judge me or try to convert or control me, and we get on fine.  The same would be true of members of other religions, but AFAIK we don't have any.
I dislike the creationist baptists who run a stall in Leominster market, handing out leaflets and talking about the lord.  I'm often there too, collecting for a charity for the disabled, and they never give us money or even stop and talk to my disabled friends.
I am offended by robotically religious faithheads who insult the human intellect with things like the eruv.  It makes me wriggle with embarrasment.

Medusa

I've been reading that link. Why not just do the hokey pokey while you are at it?  :P
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Gawen

And now...behold hither of what this impious olde trout hath wrought.

Perhaps I should answer THIS question: Why does this atheist dislike Christians?

I dislike all Christians...every one of them. But why...

I dislike the religious right who meddles in politics to the religiously neutral who say nothing of those that meddle.
I dislike the self-deprecating Rapture Readies to the glib superiority complex ridden, self commendatory self fulfilling Armageddon evangelicals.

I have no respect for them and their differing worldviews.

I have been called arrogant at times but to claim that I am privy to the secrets of the universe and its invisible creator is beyond my conceit. I simply have no choice but to find something suspect even in the most humblest believer. Even the most humane and compassionate theists are complicit in their quiet and irrational authoritarianism and proclaim us created sick and commanded to be well.

Christians declare me redeemed by a vicarious human sacrifice that occurred thousands of years before I was born. I didn't ask for it, and would have willingly, ethically and morally foregone it. And if I refuse this unsolicited gift? Well, there are still some vague mutterings about an eternity of torment for my ingratitude. Yea, even the most humble of Christian believers are totalitarian in this way.

A religion rooted in violence, the irrational, intolerannce, racism, tribalism, bigotry, ignorance, hostile to free inquiry, hostile to free speech other than their own and hostile to free will, holds women in contempt and coercive toward children: Organized religion really hasn't changed that much.

I wake up every day to a sensation of pervading disgust and annoyance. I feel as if I'm falling prey to premature curmudgeonhood thanks to asshats like Gov. Rick Perry and those haters of the constitution...haters of anything that is outside their worldview.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Sweetdeath

Wow, Gawen.. *____*  (<~ face of admiration)
I really enjoyed what you had to say.  I suppose all christian, even the more tolerant ones, still feel the need to pray for thy soul.

You know, when I was a kid, I remember asking my dad "i didnt know Jesus..  I didn't know adam or eve, so what does this matter to my life?"
I wish I remembered the answer, but I don't. I did always find it annoying how people live by, "oh, jesus sacrificed himself for us!"

I want a shirt that states: "Jesus died for our sins, but I didn't ask him to" or "Jesus died oweing me $2."   I want a lot of shirts.  XD

Gawen

Quote from: Sweetdeath
Wow, Gawen.. *____*  (<~ face of admiration)
You are too kind...*grinnin*. Be careful not to swell my prematurely curmudgeonly head...*laffin*
I really enjoyed what you had to say.  I suppose all christian, even the more tolerant ones, still feel the need to pray for thy soul.
I have found myself becoming less tolerant of all Christians for precisely what I wrote above...and more. The more the militant xtians encroach upon our freedoms and the tolerant xtians who never seem to say anything are opposite sides of a coin that's lost its value.

QuoteYou know, when I was a kid, I remember asking my dad "i didnt know Jesus..  I didn't know adam or eve, so what does this matter to my life?"
I wish I remembered the answer, but I don't. I did always find it annoying how people live by, "oh, jesus sacrificed himself for us!"
If only theists would do some actual biblical studies...

QuoteI want a shirt that states: "Jesus died for our sins, but I didn't ask him to" or "Jesus died oweing me $2."   I want a lot of shirts.  XD
Try: "I didn't ask Jesus to die for me". It'd be cheaper...*grinnin*. And "Jesus died owing my x 100 great grandpa 2 dollars" on the back put "Well, how do you know he didn't?"
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.

Tank

Quote from: Gawen on August 07, 2011, 07:07:08 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath
Wow, Gawen.. *____*  (<~ face of admiration)
You are too kind...*grinnin*. Be careful not to swell my prematurely curmudgeonly head...*laffin*
I really enjoyed what you had to say.  I suppose all christian, even the more tolerant ones, still feel the need to pray for thy soul.
I have found myself becoming less tolerant of all Christians for precisely what I wrote above...and more. The more the militant xtians encroach upon our freedoms and the tolerant xtians who never seem to say anything are opposite sides of a coin that's lost its value.

QuoteYou know, when I was a kid, I remember asking my dad "i didnt know Jesus..  I didn't know adam or eve, so what does this matter to my life?"
If only theists would do some actual biblical studies...

QuoteI want a shirt that states: "Jesus died for our sins, but I didn't ask him to" or "Jesus died oweing me $2."   I want a lot of shirts.  XD
Try: "I didn't ask Jesus to die for me". It'd be cheaper...*grinnin*. And "Jesus died owing my x 100 great grandpa 2 dollars" on the back put "Well, how do you know he didn't?"

This was Gawans 666th post and just for that one post total he has the forum title of 'Evil Inside'.  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Cforcerunner

Quote from: Gawen on August 07, 2011, 03:32:41 PM
And now...behold hither of what this impious olde trout hath wrought.

Perhaps I should answer THIS question: Why does this atheist dislike Christians?

I dislike all Christians...every one of them. But why...

I dislike the religious right who meddles in politics to the religiously neutral who say nothing of those that meddle.
I dislike the self-deprecating Rapture Readies to the glib superiority complex ridden, self commendatory self fulfilling Armageddon evangelicals.

I have no respect for them and their differing worldviews.

I have been called arrogant at times but to claim that I am privy to the secrets of the universe and its invisible creator is beyond my conceit. I simply have no choice but to find something suspect even in the most humblest believer. Even the most humane and compassionate theists are complicit in their quiet and irrational authoritarianism and proclaim us created sick and commanded to be well.

Christians declare me redeemed by a vicarious human sacrifice that occurred thousands of years before I was born. I didn't ask for it, and would have willingly, ethically and morally foregone it. And if I refuse this unsolicited gift? Well, there are still some vague mutterings about an eternity of torment for my ingratitude. Yea, even the most humble of Christian believers are totalitarian in this way.

A religion rooted in violence, the irrational, intolerannce, racism, tribalism, bigotry, ignorance, hostile to free inquiry, hostile to free speech other than their own and hostile to free will, holds women in contempt and coercive toward children: Organized religion really hasn't changed that much.

I wake up every day to a sensation of pervading disgust and annoyance. I feel as if I'm falling prey to premature curmudgeonhood thanks to asshats like Gov. Rick Perry and those haters of the constitution...haters of anything that is outside their worldview.

Well.......I still like you, Gawen  :D

Gawen

Quote from: Cforcerunner

Well.......I still like you, Gawen  :D
*smilin*...