News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Why do atheists seem to dislike Christians?

Started by Whitney, August 05, 2011, 03:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Quote from: Cforcerunner on August 05, 2011, 05:57:45 AM
While Buddhist and Neopaganist had much more of a warmer welcome as freethinkers. But this is just from my own experience, so this is why I only answer if someone asks. 

I'd equally consider none of the above freethinkers.  Freethinker means someone who doesn't allow dogma to dictate their beliefs  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/freethinker 

You probably have perceived that buddhists and pagans get a warmer welcome because fewer of their group has a tendency to tell atheists that they are evil and going to hell (if you look through the religion section and especially the troll post section you'll see that the mean Christians who post here outnumber the nice ones)....humans have natural tendencies to react poorly if faced with a person who seems similar to someone who has harmed them in the past; that doesn't make it right but that's just how humans behave.  If you were on a predominantly middle eastern atheist forum you'd find that they'd be faster to jump on someone who follows Islam than they would a Christian....it just so happens that Christianity is the predominant religion in the English speaking world and is therefore more likely to trigger poor reactions from English speaking non-Christians due to past experience.

Those of us who have been lucky enough to not have emotional scarring from being raised fundamentalist or having to live in a predominantly fundamentalist area tend to have an easier time remembering that not all Christians act like the fundie jerks.  Since online forums provide a sanctuary of sanity for atheists in areas over run by fundamentalism you'll find that online atheist communities have a higher number of people who are about on their last straw with Christians.

In short, we're only human....I'm sure many atheists here could tell you of how poorly they were treated on some Christian forum when someone of some religion was more readily accepted.

Too Few Lions

While Buddhist and Neopaganist had much more of a warmer welcome as freethinkers. But this is just from my own experience, so this is why I only answer if someone asks.  
Personally I don't have a problem with pagans and Buddhists and it's largely because they don't have a long bloody history of persecuting atheists, freethinkers or anyone else who doesn't happen to believe in their gods or religion (unlike you followers of Jesus the Nazarene!)
Welcome to the forum

Cforcerunner

Quote from: Tank on August 05, 2011, 08:14:07 AM
Quote from: Cforcerunner on August 05, 2011, 06:00:17 AM
Quote from: Whitney on August 05, 2011, 02:02:02 AM
Quote from: Cforcerunner on August 05, 2011, 12:10:14 AM
I will post a FAQ for those seeking a thoughtful Christian response to various topics for those who wish to hear an answer.

Please wait to do anything like that till after you get access to the religion section.

When do newcomers get that access?
10 posts an your in.

:)

Cforcerunner

Quote from: Whitney on August 05, 2011, 03:30:12 PM

I'd equally consider none of the above freethinkers.  Freethinker means someone who doesn't allow dogma to dictate their beliefs  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/freethinker 

You probably have perceived that buddhists and pagans get a warmer welcome because fewer of their group has a tendency to tell atheists that they are evil and going to hell (if you look through the religion section and especially the troll post section you'll see that the mean Christians who post here outnumber the nice ones)....humans have natural tendencies to react poorly if faced with a person who seems similar to someone who has harmed them in the past; that doesn't make it right but that's just how humans behave.  If you were on a predominantly middle eastern atheist forum you'd find that they'd be faster to jump on someone who follows Islam than they would a Christian....it just so happens that Christianity is the predominant religion in the English speaking world and is therefore more likely to trigger poor reactions from English speaking non-Christians due to past experience.

Those of us who have been lucky enough to not have emotional scarring from being raised fundamentalist or having to live in a predominantly fundamentalist area tend to have an easier time remembering that not all Christians act like the fundie jerks.  Since online forums provide a sanctuary of sanity for atheists in areas over run by fundamentalism you'll find that online atheist communities have a higher number of people who are about on their last straw with Christians.

In short, we're only human....I'm sure many atheists here could tell you of how poorly they were treated on some Christian forum when someone of some religion was more readily accepted.

Understandable, hope things work out here!

Cforcerunner

Quote from: Too Few Lions on August 05, 2011, 03:46:37 PM
Personally I don't have a problem with pagans and Buddhists and it's largely because they don't have a long bloody history of persecuting atheists, freethinkers or anyone else who doesn't happen to believe in their gods or religion (unlike you followers of Jesus the Nazarene!)
Welcome to the forum

Can't say how I find that relevant. I don't think comparing the social embarrassing past of the crusades or inquisitions nor the nihilist, Stalin regime has much to do with the accuracy of representing a worldview.

Anyways, thanks for the welcome sir!

Davin

Quote from: Cforcerunner on August 05, 2011, 05:19:19 PM
Welcome to the forum

Can't say how I find that relevant. I don't think comparing the social embarrassing past of the crusades or inquisitions nor the nihilist, Stalin regime has much to do with the accuracy of representing a worldview.

You had said that you perceived a warmer welcome towards pagans or buddhists, Too Few Lions expressed something the might explain the cause. That is why it is relevant. Christians are emotionally put into bad basket because Christianity has a bloody history complete with oppression, coercion and torture. It's not logical, but it's a reason.

Welcome to the forums.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Cforcerunner

Quote from: Davin on August 05, 2011, 05:31:53 PM
Welcome to the forum

You had said that you perceived a warmer welcome towards pagans or buddhists, Too Few Lions expressed something the might explain the cause. That is why it is relevant. Christians are emotionally put into bad basket because Christianity has a bloody history complete with oppression, coercion and torture. It's not logical, but it's a reason.

Welcome to the forums.

If that is reasonable, then would you not say the same of white western European males who explored the Americas? Should their past actions be perceived the same in the present?

Thanks again for the welcome!

Davin

Quote from: Cforcerunner on August 05, 2011, 06:03:44 PMIf that is reasonable, then would you not say the same of white western European males who explored the Americas? Should their past actions be perceived the same in the present?

Thanks again for the welcome!
In my opinion, neither should happen. I don't think people should hastily generalize. Unfortunately we as humans tend to create our own biases whether intentional or not.

My point was more for clarification, not a justification. Knowing why something is happening is not the same as justifying the cause.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Too Few Lions

Welcome to the forum

Personally, I have the same general dislike of Stalinism that I have of Christianity. I view both as pernicious ideologies that have caused the suffering and death of tens of millions.
Christian intolerance to non-believers (or people they deem to be 'sinful') goes way beyond the murderous excesses of the Middle Ages, it can be traced back to the earliest Christian writings / Church Fathers / first Christian emperors and many people still suffer from it to this day. Thankfully you sound like one of the more tolerant variety of Christians.

But you're right in that any hostility any of us have as an atheist should be aimed at your religion and not at you personally. It would be wrong to show any hostility or intolerance or rudeness towards you just because you're a Christian (although I can see why some atheists might be naturally friendlier towards pagans and Buddhists than towards Christians for the reasons given by a few of us above). I don't think you'll experience any negative vibes from anyone on this forum just because of your faith, from my limited experience they're generally a friendly bunch.

Stevil

Quote from: Cforcerunner on August 05, 2011, 12:10:14 AM
And I am afraid it's the atheist's favorite religion!
Hello Cforcerunner and welcome aboard

So you are a Christian, good for you.
I'm an atheist and I totally accept your right to choose any religious stance that you want.
If you don't try to evangalise me and you maintain civilty then I think many interesting (and possibly revealing) conversations can be had.
Animated Dirt is a longtime and well respected Christian member of this forum, but for some reason we do seem to get many more Christian theist visitors than we do non Christian theist visitors.

Cforcerunner

Quote from: Too Few Lions on August 05, 2011, 06:51:06 PM

Personally, I have the same general dislike of Stalinism that I have of Christianity. I view both as pernicious ideologies that have caused the suffering and death of tens of millions.
Christian intolerance to non-believers (or people they deem to be 'sinful') goes way beyond the murderous excesses of the Middle Ages, it can be traced back to the earliest Christian writings / Church Fathers / first Christian emperors and many people still suffer from it to this day. Thankfully you sound like one of the more tolerant variety of Christians.

But you're right in that any hostility any of us have as an atheist should be aimed at your religion and not at you personally. It would be wrong to show any hostility or intolerance or rudeness towards you just because you're a Christian (although I can see why some atheists might be naturally friendlier towards pagans and Buddhists than towards Christians for the reasons given by a few of us above). I don't think you'll experience any negative vibes from anyone on this forum just because of your faith, from my limited experience they're generally a friendly bunch.

I'd agree with your first statement, and thankfully my decision to be Christian was not based on the actions done in the crusade, and it is indeed unfortunate so many wrongs have been done in the name of Christ. However, it is truly after reading and reflecting on the words and hope Jesus spoke of is what I believe and hold dear.

I enjoy discussing on forums such as these, as I believe I represent Christian ideology in sense that not many may be familiar with. Although I may not be the most intelligent Christian out there, I still try to be a good and well-spoken representative.

Too Few Lions

good on you, I'll look forward to hearing what you have to say, and will try not to be too anti-Christian  ;)

Ragnar

QuoteWhile Buddhist and Neopaganist had much more of a warmer welcome as freethinkers. But this is just from my own experience, so this is why I only answer if someone asks.

Well, for a start, most Buddhists are atheists.  As for Neopagans, they tend to be far more relaxed that not everybody shares their beliefs.  Hence they don't have much of a track record of making other peoples lives hell.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. - Terry Pratchett.

xSilverPhinx

I think that polytheists, such as neopagans, tend to be more accepting of other gods. They don't see themselves as holding any monopoly on truth (there's only one god of the entire universe and creation, and it happens to be my personal god).

That's the impression I got from the Hindus, at least those that were not as caught up in the political opposition towards Pakistan for Kashmir. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Take any passage in history from the dark ages or crusades;seeing the church torture people in the most vile ways, it will make your stomach turn.

For centuries, Christians have been violently killing anyone who didn't share their fairy tale views.

With that said, I personally don't have anything against a Christian person today unless they try to persecute me for being gay or atheist.  If they are civil, and are a nice person, then I could care less what fake god they worship.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.