News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What Atheists think about Homosexuality?

Started by OhCheese, August 05, 2011, 09:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveler

If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Firebird

I feel a lot of it is about needing a scapegoat to blame society's ills on. People often turn to religion out of desperation, and when that religion tells you that you're actually one of the good guys and it's that evil homosexual over there who is corrupting society, then a person doesn't have to take any responsibility for their problems. Instead, it's all that homosexual's fault! Or the Jews. Or the blacks. Or the illegal immigrants from Mexico. Religion is not the only authoritative system to stigmatize a minority to distract from the real problems, because it's quite effective.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 25, 2012, 06:28:35 AM
Holyshit, Ivan. That was the most A+ post ever! And I honestly agree with you on the reason catholics claim birth control and homosexuality to be so 'evil.'  Because the less idiot kids these religious people pop out, the less religious followers. The less money churches and religious organixations make from the fools.
I cringe everytime I see a catholic family with 4 kids, and the mother is pregnant. They all wear their little gold saint necklaces too. It's nauseating.

I know I'm quite late to the game on this thread, and the post I'm replying to is buried a couple pages back, but I just wanted to point out that I was once one of those idiot kids in one of those idiot families that make you cringe. But I love my parents and know they were just trying to do what they thought best for our family. I disagree with their church now, but I don't fault my parents for buying it, I blame the church for selling it.
I just hope more and more people do like I've done and stop believing the salesmen.

As for how I feel about homosexuality? It shouldn't even be a topic of discussion. Let people do what they will as long as it isn't hurting anyone else.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

DeterminedJuliet

My Dad is one of "those" Catholics. He never expresses a hatred for gay people, he just denies that they exist.

Yes. Literally. My Dad just denies that gay people exist.

For instance, my best (male) friend is gay. We've been friends since highschool and Dad used to ALWAYS tell me that my friend had a crush on me. I've literally had this exact conversation with Dad about a dozen times over the years.

Dad: Jim is a nice guy
Me: Yep, he is! That's why he's my friend.
Dad: I think he has a crush on you.
Me: Dad. He's gay. I've told you a million times, he's gay. He says he's gay. He dates men. He's gay. 
Dad: Nooo... I don't think so...
Me: Dad, I can 100% definitively guarantee you that he is only attracted to other men.
Dad: nooo.... I think he likes you *wanders off dreamily*

It'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 10, 2012, 05:25:24 AM
My Dad is one of "those" Catholics. He never expresses a hatred for gay people, he just denies that they exist.

Yes. Literally. My Dad just denies that gay people exist.

For instance, my best (male) friend is gay. We've been friends since highschool and Dad used to ALWAYS tell me that my friend had a crush on me. I've literally had this exact conversation with Dad about a dozen times over the years.

Dad: Jim is a nice guy
Me: Yep, he is! That's why he's my friend.
Dad: I think he has a crush on you.
Me: Dad. He's gay. I've told you a million times, he's gay. He says he's gay. He dates men. He's gay. 
Dad: Nooo... I don't think so...
Me: Dad, I can 100% definitively guarantee you that he is only attracted to other men.
Dad: nooo.... I think he likes you *wanders off dreamily*

It'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic.
Talk about denial!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.