News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

"Ask a Christian!"

Started by Cforcerunner, August 05, 2011, 09:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cforcerunner

Thought I would start a fun new thread where atheists can freely ask what and why I believe what I believe. And although I can not promise my answers will satisfy everybody, I will give an honest answer to an honest question. I don't know how limited the scope of discussion will be, but I ask that the questions be as specific as possible, and there may be many questions that I simply don't know the answer to, sorry. ;)

Also, I am aware of the different "brands" of Christianity which can become a loaded term, but it will be much more constructive to focus on the more fundamental and universally understood beliefs.

Don't be shy to ask!  :)

Stevil

What church do you belong to?
Do you believe all (morals) that you are taught by your church?

AnimatedDirt

This thread ought to be interesting.  I already see an issue answering the first question... "all"

Cforcerunner

Quote from: Stevil on August 05, 2011, 09:22:15 PM
What church do you belong to?
Do you believe all (morals) that you are taught by your church?

I go to a southern baptist church, as well as a nondenominational church in atlanta. But would not box my beliefs in a denomination's tradition.

And as far answering your second question, I simply don't know "all" morals taught within my church, or all of their theological stances. However, I will say that  I am not a big fan on how baptists choose to "dodge the question", when it comes to issues of speaking in tongues or prophesy in today's times. And I am still doing personal research to draw my own conclusions on those issues. However, I believe in their overall emphasis on global missions and enjoy the pastor's style of preaching.

Stevil

Quote from: Cforcerunner on August 05, 2011, 10:11:36 PM
I go to a southern baptist church, as well as a nondenominational church in atlanta. But would not box my beliefs in a denomination's tradition.

And as far answering your second question, I simply don't know "all" morals taught within my church, or all of their theological stances. However, I will say that  I am not a big fan on how baptists choose to "dodge the question", when it comes to issues of speaking in tongues or prophesy in today's times. And I am still doing personal research to draw my own conclusions on those issues. However, I believe in their overall emphasis on global missions and enjoy the pastor's style of preaching.
That is a great answer.
Do you think the bible is for personal interpretation and hence accept that others interpretations is neither wrong nor right but personal?
Would you consider the bible more as a guide book rather than a rule book?

DeterminedJuliet

I have a question!

What's your first recollection of "believing"
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Cforcerunner

Quote from: Stevil on August 05, 2011, 10:16:34 PM
That is a great answer.
Do you think the bible is for personal interpretation and hence accept that others interpretations is neither wrong nor right but personal?
Would you consider the bible more as a guide book rather than a rule book?

No, I believe the bible to be inspired by "God" and objectively teaches why men and women are placed here in the external world, as well as their purpose in life. And although it can be interpreted in many different ways, I believe there is a core, consistent, metaphysical illustration of God's love for mankind, as well as salvation through His son.

As far as the bible being considered a "guide" or a "rulebook". I would lean toward "rulebook" in the sense of objective authority, however, I don't believe Jesus would condone morality as a strict set of do's and dont's. He has called man not his servants, but friends.

Stevil

Quote from: Cforcerunner on August 05, 2011, 10:51:08 PM
As far as the bible being considered a "guide" or a "rulebook". I would lean toward "rulebook" in the sense of objective authority
Are all Christian churches aligned with this "rulebook" or some or one or none?

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Cforcerunner

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on August 05, 2011, 10:18:52 PM
I have a question!

What's your first recollection of "believing"

Haha, that is a long story! I will post on how I came to believe when I have more time. Thanks for asking  :)

Cforcerunner

Quote from: Stevil on August 05, 2011, 11:01:55 PM
Quote from: Cforcerunner on August 05, 2011, 10:51:08 PM
As far as the bible being considered a "guide" or a "rulebook". I would lean toward "rulebook" in the sense of objective authority
Are all Christian churches aligned with this "rulebook" or some or one or none?

Once again, I can't speak for all Christian churches/denominations. I am sure there are a diverse number of churches that have very sound theology according the scriptures, as well as many who claim to be Christian and yet deliberately follow nothing in Christian doctrine. All I can say is some follow scriptures more closely than others. But I am a big fan of nondenomination as Jesus did not acknowledge denomination among disciples.

Cforcerunner

Quote from: Tank on August 05, 2011, 11:08:40 PM
Why aren't you a Muslim?

The same reason I am not mormon. I believe joseph smith/muhammad claim to be subsequent prophets following Jesus' revelation, as they highly condoned the person of Jesus. I found Islam to be confusing in this sense. They revere muhammad as the last and greatest prophet, yet Jesus is still found during the end of days? They created mandatory rituals when Jesus said days of the law were already fulfilled?

If someone here could represent an islamic belief system to me in a persuasive manner, I am all ears. My research of Muhummad simply did not compel me as the revelation of the divine as Jesus did.

fester30

Since you mention speaking in tongues I have a question.  If speaking in tongues is the least of all gifts, why does this gift get so much emphasis in the more southern denominations?  Why, as a gift, is it something that people attempt to attain?  Doesn't make sense.

Gawen

It is obvious that you believe in an afterlife where you will sing praises unto the Almighty for ever and ever, amen.
My question is...what did you do before you were born?
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Cforcerunner

Quote from: fester30 on August 06, 2011, 12:09:35 AM
Since you mention speaking in tongues I have a question.  If speaking in tongues is the least of all gifts, why does this gift get so much emphasis in the more southern denominations?  Why, as a gift, is it something that people attempt to attain?  Doesn't make sense.

That's a good question. According to what Paul assumes in 1 Corinthians  it was routine in the early church for someone to speak in tongues and to have someone interpret it. Some kind of apparent praises toward God in an unknown language. And as you said, he also mentions that this gift is not a significant one.

I don't believe tongues are popular in "southern" denominations that I am familiar with at least. Being part of a southern baptist church, they simply don't acknowledge speaking in tongues and try their best to ignore it when they can. The denomination which tongues is most prevalent today is certainly the pentecostal. I have even observed someone speaking in tongues in the middle of the service in a manner not consistent with Pauline account. Paul insists speaking in tongues should be performed in orderly conduct, not in a dramatized fashion that it is so often depicted nowadays.

Okay, now to answer the other question directly. I don't know why many would attempt to speak in tongues. As scripture would interpret the event as some sort of involuntary praise to God in an unspoken language, that's all I can tell. However, I plan on reading on current views of contemporary theologians, and see if I can come up with a better answer after that. :)