News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Where do you sit on the Dawkins belief scale?

Started by Tank, August 04, 2011, 07:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I would place myself at 6.

I can't say that there is no god, becuase that knowledge IMO is out of reach, but I don't believe in any gods.

Sure there possibility of there being a god is there, but so is the possibility that we're actually in a matrix-like simulation. Just throwing possibilities out there means nothing. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 06, 2011, 05:30:57 PM

I can't say that there is no god, becuase that knowledge IMO is out of reach, but I don't believe in any gods.

Sure there possibility of there being a god is there, but so is the possibility that we're actually in a matrix-like simulation. Just throwing possibilities out there means nothing. 
What is possible may also not be probable but in fact very improbable.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on August 06, 2011, 05:39:52 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 06, 2011, 05:30:57 PM

What is possible may also not be probable but in fact very improbable.

That's how I see the possibility of any version of a theistic god (which are always elaborate), who even though is essentially mysterious, has defined characteristics, traits and personality.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Gawen

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Gawen

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Tank

The proportion (on the limited vote so far) of 6's to 7's here is higher than at RDF. Hope we get some more votes here.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

wildfire_emissary

6. I agree with Stevil thay there is no clear definition of a god. Although, I am positive that YHWH does not exist.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tom62 on August 23, 2011, 07:36:30 PM
6.942123182+ to be exact  ;D

LOL

Um...looks like you've given the belief scale quite some thought ;)

DaemonWulf

I'm with most here at a 6. I suppose if there was some really good proof I might concede to the existence, though it would have to be amazing proof after which I still wouldn't much care. Besides, at this point if I were to find out there was a god, all my friends are headed for hell anyway; no point breaking up the party.
So I wonder this, as life billows smoke inside my head; this little game where nothing is sure... why would you play by the rules? - Dave Matthews

Tank

Quote from: DaemonWulf on August 23, 2011, 10:56:43 PM
I'm with most here at a 6. I suppose if there was some really good proof I might concede to the existence, though it would have to be amazing proof after which I still wouldn't much care. Besides, at this point if I were to find out there was a god, all my friends are headed for hell anyway; no point breaking up the party.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

joeactor

I'm a 3... but I don't see this scale as an optimal representation.

It mixes "Belief" with "Knowledge" into a single ranking - guess I'd prefer to see them split.

3 is the loneliest number (at least here ;-)
JoeActor