News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Where do you sit on the Dawkins belief scale?

Started by Tank, August 04, 2011, 07:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: not your typical... on November 11, 2011, 06:40:27 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 11, 2011, 06:32:52 PM
75% of atheists fall into the 'weak' category of 'no/insufficient reasonable evidence', rather than 'strong', 'I don't believe there is a God'. 
Yeah, most of my friends fall into the 'strong' category. i tend to not really bother trying to prove there is one anymore. I can tell you only of what I've seen and my experiences and if you don't want to believe me, that's fine.
I'm not sure I follow your point. I have no reason to disbelieve you. The 75/25 split comes from following a number of topics like this on a number of different forums.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

not your typical...

Quote from: Tank on November 11, 2011, 06:53:33 PM
I'm not sure I follow your point. I have no reason to disbelieve you. The 75/25 split comes from following a number of topics like this on a number of different forums.
Well, like when I tell them of the 'miracles' that have happened in my life, they'll just write it off as either good luck or a mystery that no one can answer, never giving any proof as of why it is impossible for a God to have intervened, but still saying that there is no chance of there being a God. In all honesty, life experiences are probably the only reason I'm a Christian.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Tank

Quote from: not your typical... on November 11, 2011, 06:57:20 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 11, 2011, 06:53:33 PM
Well, like when I tell them of the 'miracles' that have happened in my life, they'll just write it off as either good luck or a mystery that no one can answer, never giving any proof as of why it is impossible for a God to have intervened, but still saying that there is no chance of there being a God. In all honesty, life experiences are probably the only reason I'm a Christian.
Thanks for the clarification I understand your point now  :)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

not your typical...

"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: not your typical... on November 11, 2011, 06:40:27 PM
i tend to not really bother trying to prove there is one anymore. I can tell you only of what I've seen and my experiences and if you don't want to believe me, that's fine.

That's pretty much like I think - it all boils down to personal experience.  But since there is always the possibility that I could be deceived about my own personal experience, I can't claim to be "1" who "knows" there is a God.  Knowledge, to me, is reserved for things that can be proven over and over.

not your typical...

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 11, 2011, 09:17:07 PM
That's pretty much like I think - it all boils down to personal experience.  But since there is always the possibility that I could be deceived about my own personal experience, I can't claim to be "1" who "knows" there is a God.  Knowledge, to me, is reserved for things that can be proven over and over.
In my life, it has been proven over, and over again. Every time I begin to doubt, He gives me a reason not to.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: not your typical... on November 11, 2011, 09:25:03 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 11, 2011, 09:17:07 PM
In my life, it has been proven over, and over again. Every time I begin to doubt, He gives me a reason not to.

I understand that sentiment.

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: not your typical... on November 11, 2011, 09:25:03 PM

He doesn't, because he is not real.

Your brain does, because it has a need to make up this being to comfort/strengthen you. Maybe it's good for you, but do you agree with the slaughter of over 2 million people by god in the bible?

How has god proven to you he exists? How has he taken away your doubts?

One person said to me once "I know god is real because my mother fell ill and should have died. We prayed and she didn't die" Is this the sort of thing you are talking about? My answer to that person (without wanting to sound to heartless) was that she just didn't die, because sometimes people don't die.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

not your typical...

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 11, 2011, 09:48:24 PM
Your brain does, because it has a need to make up this being to comfort/strengthen you. Maybe it's good for you, but do you agree with the slaughter of over 2 million people by god in the bible?
One person said to me once "I know god is real because my mother fell ill and should have died. We prayed and she didn't die" Is this the sort of thing you are talking about? My answer to that person (without wanting to sound to heartless) was that she just didn't die, because sometimes people don't die.
One way that He's proven himself to me is that when my mother was pregnant, she had double pneumonia, and the doctors said she wouldn't make it through the pregnancy. On top of this, she had a tumor in her uterus so it was unlikely that I'd be here too. They ended up not bothering to even give her medication anymore, claiming that, "It'll harm the baby." I ended up killing the tumor, (Mom says that's why I've got such a mean right hook.) and about 8 months after I was born, she woke up one morning feeling fine, no sickness, no nothing. You may just write it off and say it's a medical mystery, but I'm gonna believe it was God intervening. We can agree to disagree though, right? As for the slaughter, the Bible states clearly that God despises sin and can't even look at it, so when you put that into perspective, it's not all that suprising, at least not to me. But like I said, agree to disagree. I'm not here to preach my faith, but more so to learn about your philosophy.

Tank

General Note: If one is going to get into deep debate about why one is at a particular point on the Dawkins scale then it would be a good idea to start a new thread.

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: not your typical... on November 11, 2011, 10:06:43 PM
Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 11, 2011, 09:48:24 PM
One way that He's proven himself to me is that when my mother was pregnant, she had double pneumonia, and the doctors said she wouldn't make it through the pregnancy. On top of this, she had a tumor in her uterus so it was unlikely that I'd be here too. They ended up not bothering to even give her medication anymore, claiming that, "It'll harm the baby." I ended up killing the tumor, (Mom says that's why I've got such a mean right hook.) and about 8 months after I was born, she woke up one morning feeling fine, no sickness, no nothing. You may just write it off and say it's a medical mystery, but I'm gonna believe it was God intervening. We can agree to disagree though, right? As for the slaughter, the Bible states clearly that God despises sin and can't even look at it, so when you put that into perspective, it's not all that suprising, at least not to me. But like I said, agree to disagree. I'm not here to preach my faith, but more so to learn about your philosophy.

I'm afraid that is not nearly evidence of god.

Doctors sometimes get things wrong and misdiagnose the seriousness of something. You cannot say for sure that someone won't make it through a pregnancy or that they should die, you can only offer a best estimate based on previous experience. If someone makes it through a pregnancy or doesn't die, you just estimated wrong rather than god intervening. god can't intervene, as he is made up.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

not your typical...

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 11, 2011, 10:15:31 PM
I'm afraid that is not nearly evidence of god.
Doctors sometimes get things wrong and misdiagnose the seriousness of something. You cannot say for sure that someone won't make it through a pregnancy or that they should die, you can only offer a best estimate based on previous experience. If someone makes it through a pregnancy or doesn't die, you just estimated wrong rather than god intervening. god can't intervene, as he is made up.
And that's you're beliefs. I'm assuming you're apart of the few that are 100% certain that there is no possibility of there being a God. I have a friend who you'd probably get along with great. He wrote a 89 page essay on why Christianity is stupid, 90 is you count the page he wrote about me specifically.

Norfolk And Chance

Yes I'm 100% certain that there is no possibility of god, which is why to get back on topic, I'm a 7 on the Dawkins scale.

Give your friend a big "well done" from me.

not your typical...

xm1

I think when I was in my teens I believed that things happening around me were all part of a relationship I had with god and i was just following along trusting that there was something leading my family and i along to some important great plan or whatever.  I'm glad to have that whole conspiracy theory over with.

If there was a 10 i would be that, but i can settle for 7.

Quoteno thinking atheist would consider themselves "7", as atheism arises from a lack of evidence and evidence can always change a thinking person's mind.

my atheism rises from an abundance of evidence against the christian god.  so maybe I am more of a 6 or 5 if you want to propose there is some other god that made this universe that had nothing to do with the bible.  but what a silly thing to suggest.